Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I'm not so sure - As I understand it, Sega are in dire financial straits, and have been for years - their only regular solid sellers are things like the Total War series.

Keef Monkey

Yeah, I'm sure Sega have been struggling for a while. With Aliens they put a lot of eggs in what should have been a really lucrative license for them, and my understanding at that point was that they would become the big focus for them going forward. Neither of their released Alien games sold very well (and Colonial Marines even ended in them paying out compensation to players in a class action lawsuit) and the subsequent ones that were planned/rumoured got cancelled or dropped off the radar. All rumblings are that all isn't great for Sega, and hasn't been for a long time sadly. Gutted, because Alien: Isolation was great and showed how an Alien game could work.

Nintendo's biggest problem seems to be attach rate, platform holders make a lot of their money (and most of their money if they're selling their consoles at a loss, which many do at launch) from their cut of game sales and certification on their platforms, and even when Nintendo do manage to release a console that sells like crazy, that never seems to translate into game sales for them the way it does for the other platform holders and that has to have a big impact on how profitable their console business is.

This is the first Nintendo console in a long time that's really got my interest though, because the sheer convenience of being able to take home console quality games on the move like that is massively enticing. Mario aside I've never been that into their first party stuff though, so for me it'll depend on how good the third party support is and if it can compete with my xbox for my attention.

radiator

QuoteNintendo's biggest problem seems to be attach rate, platform holders make a lot of their money (and most of their money if they're selling their consoles at a loss, which many do at launch) from their cut of game sales and certification on their platforms, and even when Nintendo do manage to release a console that sells like crazy, that never seems to translate into game sales for them the way it does for the other platform holders and that has to have a big impact on how profitable their console business is.

The difference being that Nintendo are the only console manufacturers who - anecdotally - actually make money on consoles rather than selling them at a loss.

QuoteThis is the first Nintendo console in a long time that's really got my interest though, because the sheer convenience of being able to take home console quality games on the move like that is massively enticing. Mario aside I've never been that into their first party stuff though, so for me it'll depend on how good the third party support is and if it can compete with my xbox for my attention.

I honestly wouldn't count on much third party support for the Switch, at least not in the traditional sense. If I were Nintendo I would be courting indie devs like crazy for this thing (the Switch seems to be the ideal home for games like NidHogg, Hyper Light Drifter, Mother Russia Bleeds, Owlboy, Drift Stage etc etc), and also the remaining few Japanese devs to secure the other games that are natural bedfellows to Nnitendo's output. It's just possible that with a great online store and a constant trickle of content, they can keep their core audience happy during the inevitable droughts between the handful of big first party titles coming out per year.

Keef Monkey

That's a really good point on the indie front, if they can get those developers on board then they could end up with a pretty great catalogue, and having those games portable would really appeal. I do have a Vita, which isn't too bad in terms of indie gems, but it's hardly overflowing with releases. Still on the fence a bit about this thing, but I'll definitely be paying attention at launch to see what kind of games surface on it.

Tiplodocus

All the release details are 0400 on 12 Jan, I believe.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Enigmatic Dr X

If this launches with a Mario Kart, of any kind, then I am in on Day One.

I got rid of my Wii U for a great price on eBay... but my youngest misses his Karting.
Lock up your spoons!

Satanist

£280 with no game included :o
roughly £60 for extra controller
2.5 to 6 hour battery life as handheld
32GB storage (can use SD cards)
Zelda at launch, Mario at Xmas
Updated Mario Kart for Dr X
Splatoon 2
Paid for online service

I think I'll wait till xmas if I get one
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

Always find it strange how partisan people get about Nintendo compared to normal games companies when they've always been the shittest (except the Gamecube (and Tetris on the Gameboy.))
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Not a Nintendo guy anymore at all (apart from Mario I just don't get into their first party stuff) BUT two games I did play the hell out of on the wii were No More Heroes 1&2, and I'll generally buy anything with Grasshopper on the box. And Suda 51 says they're doing a follow up to those on it.

Not sure whether I want to jump on the Switch to play it or hope that whatever it is eventually comes to the other consoles, but it's definitely got me interested.

Link Prime

As an unashamed Nintendo fan-boy, I was a little bit disappointed when the details came through this morning.

Main concerns;
- The price is a bit more than I would have liked (it always is in fairness).
- The launch game range isn't as good as it could have been (it never is in fairness).

The smart move this morning would have been to pre-order Breath of the Wild on Wii U for 40 quid, then sit pretty for 12 months until the Switch price dropped and the games range increased.

I made that other move however- scouring the internet for a pre-order of the Switch and Breath of the Wild special edition.

Really surprised to find out that Amazon UK would not deliver the Switch to ROI (despite the fact I have had several other consoles shipped from them over the years).
This might explain why they never sent that 'email update' I was promised when the Switch pre-orders were available.

For anyone looking around- there are no 'deals' out there, it's £280.
I chose Game.co.uk in the end for a pre-order as I have always found them to be fairly reliable when shipping to ROI.

I imagine that the Breath of the Wild special edition will sell out fast- Amazon still have them available for pre-order; https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MS6R9FG/ref=sr_1_29?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1484307777&sr=1-29&keywords=zelda+breath+of+the+wild

So that's a total of £370 down the swanny for me this morning- just in time for Sterling to stabilize somewhat.  :lol:

Goaty

Satanist

Quote from: I, Cosh on 13 January, 2017, 10:57:09 AM
Always find it strange how partisan people get about Nintendo compared to normal games companies when they've always been the shittest (except the Gamecube (and Tetris on the Gameboy.))

Snes games library shat all over Megadrive. FACT!

I agree the gamecube is one of my fave consoles but now the only reason to buy a Nintendo is to play Nintendo games. That's why 3rd party support is gash.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Satanist on 13 January, 2017, 02:38:32 PM
Nobody in Scotland owned a SNES. FACT! (Except my mate Nicky Nae-Grant.)
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: Link Prime on 13 January, 2017, 11:49:03 AM

I imagine that the Breath of the Wild special edition will sell out fast- Amazon still have them available for pre-order; https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MS6R9FG/ref=sr_1_29?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1484307777&sr=1-29&keywords=zelda+breath+of+the+wild

And they're gone.
Apart from the usual useless tat included in special editions, this also had a handy Zelda themed protective cover for the portable game screen.

Satanist

Quote from: I, Cosh on 13 January, 2017, 02:47:14 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 13 January, 2017, 02:38:32 PM
Nobody in Scotland owned a SNES. FACT! (Except my mate Nicky Nae-Grant.)

I had a SNES (still have it) and it was glorious! Mode7 FTW!