Main Menu

Barrie Tomlinson's 'Real Roy of the Rovers Stuff'

Started by maryanddavid, 22 October, 2016, 01:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

I just put a piece on FB about this, I think there will be some interest for some here, it make a nice companion to Steve MacManus' book.

From FB.

'I got a copy of Barrie Tomlinson's 'Real Roy of the Rovers Stuff' earlier in the week.
For those of you not familiar with Barrie Tomlinson, Barrie was working his own comic revolution when Wagner, Mills, Gosnell and MacManus were creating Battle, 2000 AD and Starlord.
Tomlinson took Roy of the Rover, a popular comic character from Tiger and launched him in his own title, and in turn making Roy a national institution.
The book details how he used his PR talents to bring Roy to the attention of the national media, getting celebrity's writing for Roy of the Rovers and even starring in the strip!
He also details his development of more 'soap' style storyline's with writer Tom Tully.
Packed with photos, press releases, newspaper heading, and unseen material like the proposed stamp set for Euro 96, it's an entertaining read.
It also covers some familiar ground of the office working in IPC in the seventies and eighties, a perfect compliment to Steve MacManus' 2000AD book 'The Mighty One'
Other comics that Tomlinson was responsible for are, Speed, The new Eagle, Scream, Wildcat and many more.'