Main Menu

2000ad Annual 1978

Started by EddieHitler, 27 October, 2016, 12:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieHitler

Hello

I have just bought a 1978 2000ad annual off ebay because:

1.  I did want a 1978 as I have not got one......

2. It omits on the front cover as well as the back cover and spine it's year so it was something a bit different relating to 2000ad.

Q.  Why do you think the year was omitted?  Printing error?  Promo copy?

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you

Ps Anyone know the final asking price for the Action 23/10/1976 auctioned on ebay on Tuesday?

jrdd

I can help with the Action auction - it went for £4,110.75 (free p&p)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACTION-BANNED-ISSUE-23rd-October-1976-/361776241756

One went last year for £2,555 according to Lew Stringer's article, which is where I heard about the recent sale: http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/banned-action-up-for-auction.html

While we're looking at comic prices, I also read that the 4th issue of Viz went for £900 recently too (out pricing the 1st issue): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-37776477

Glad 2000AD hasn't quite reached those levels yet - I was quite happy to get some Best of 2000AD's for 20p each at my local comic shop recently...

EddieHitler

Thanks for the info....

I had been told more than 4k but I could not believe it lol

I wonder if prices have peaked as surely no one will pay more than £4k again....surely???

Well done on finding those bargains and in a comic shop as well!

I will be keeping an eye on ebay to see if there is a ripple effect...

Frank

Quote from: EddieHitler on 27 October, 2016, 12:48:21 PM
Q.  Why do you think the year was omitted? 

Because at that point, there were no other 2000ad annuals*. Same reason Rocky isn't called Rocky 1.

* Thanks to IPC's policy of merging comics, there was a better than fifty-fifty chance there never would be another 2000ad annual. Some titles seemed to keep on putting out annuals long after the parent title folded, but I've never really understood why some did and others didn't. Other than money, obviously

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Frank on 27 October, 2016, 02:15:59 PM
Quote from: EddieHitler on 27 October, 2016, 12:48:21 PM
Q.  Why do you think the year was omitted? 

Because at that point, there were no other 2000ad annuals*. Same reason Rocky isn't called Rocky 1.

* Thanks to IPC's policy of merging comics, there was a better than fifty-fifty chance there never would be another 2000ad annual. Some titles seemed to keep on putting out annuals long after the parent title folded, but I've never really understood why some did and others didn't. Other than money, obviously

Well, my copy (and every other copy I've seen) has got 1978 printed on both covers and the spine, so it looks like Eddie does have something unusual!  No idea what it might be, though...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

EddieHitler

Thanks again for the replies Frank and Lobo Bag's. 

Glastopop who I brought it from thought it may be a promo.

Oh well it's prob just a printers error..interesting though(?)

Was there any promo material for Star Lord?

So many questions......

Eric Plumrose

I bought a copy from Forbidden Planet about twenty years ago for a fiver. Can't say offhand if the cover included '1978' but I do specifically remember there being a blank white triangle where the price would have been printed otherwise.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Frank

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 27 October, 2016, 02:27:52 PM
Well, my copy (and every other copy I've seen) has got 1978 printed on both covers and the spine, so it looks like Eddie does have something unusual!

Not so unusual. The only time I've seen the cover of the 1978 2000ad Annual is on Barney, and the image depicted there doesn't get all Flavor Flav (link).

For all I know, the version with the date is a rarity.

maryanddavid

It's common enough to see annuals without a date. They were apparently printed for the Australian and New Zealand market.
Perhaps to do with the length of time it would take for these annuals to ship there. Without a year there was no 'best before date' giving them a much longer shelf life.

I wonder if any of our southern hemisphere boarders could throw any light?

ZenArcade

Mine has 1978 emblazoned on it. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: maryanddavid on 27 October, 2016, 05:10:07 PM
annuals without a date ... were apparently printed for the Australian and New Zealand market. Perhaps to do with the length of time it would take for these annuals to ship there. Without a year there was no 'best before date' giving them a much longer shelf life.

... aaah! Cheers, David.

COMMANDO FORCES

Mine has no date and I bought that in Hartlepool when it came out!

Frank

Hartlepool is a foreign country, they do things* differently there.

* ... to monkeys

Fungus

Pretty sure I've '1978' on mine, would have felt wrong otherwise.
And isn't a annual without a year attached, just... a book?

Tony Angelino

I cant find my one at the minute. I've had it since I was a kid and I don't think I kept it in great condition.

Its been ages since I saw the annual but I always had it in my head that Belardinelli drew the cover. Not so says Barney.