Main Menu

Future Shock Submissions 2016/2017

Started by Pauul, 28 October, 2016, 11:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauul

Howdy. Submissions for 2000AD opened up again back in September and are going to be open until the 1st of March, 2017.

I made a submission very many years ago, never heard back, but I decided this was the year to try again. Last month I sent off my four page Future Shock and I' really looking forward to hearing back from 2000AD.

Are any other writers (or artists) planning on adding to the slush pile this year?

Anyone on here who makes regular submissions? I'm curious to what the process is usually like.

I think I picked a good story to write. I showed it to my flatmate (who is a fellow writer) and she was surprised by the twist. Although, with twist stories, it's always tough to get them right.

I've made a ton of submissions to FutureQuake in the past. Sometimes I get lucky. Other times... not so much. But it's important to make mistakes so that you can learn from them.

Still, I've massively improved as a writer over the years since my last attempt, so maybe I have a chance.

Also, I'm headed down to Thought Bubble for the first time this year. Anyone else from the board going down to take advantage of the 2000AD Writing Competition or the 2000AD Portfolio Competition?

I think I'm as equally excited, as I am terrified, about standing up in front of everyone and making my pitch. It should certainly be a thrill, though.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Look them in the eye, deep breaths, talk clearly and remember your 'pitch' line -  then get off your knees. No good luck with your story telling endeavors Pauul.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Ghastly McNasty

Apologies if dumb question but if (in the smallest possible chance) the judges like your pitch, are they expecting to see the full 4 page script as well?

GordonR

I wouldn't have thought so. Watching the judging panel then read through a script doesn't sound like the most thrilling spectator event for the audience there.

Besides, even for the winnner, the judges might suggest some improvements to your story before you take it to full script.  (Although there's nothing stopping you writing your story up as a script beforehand, to make sure it actually works, but don't expect anyone to read it on the day.)

Pauul

I'm definitely going to try and write the script up this week.

I mean, if the judges don't like it, I can always submit it to a small press anthology. Plus, while the judges probably won't ask to see something... imagine if they did and you didn't have anything.

I'm a strong believer in being prepared.

Even if the judges do want you to write a new version from scratch, you haven't really lost anything by writing out four pages.

But, hey, that's just me. I like being overly prepared.

skyward

I'm hoping to submit maybe a few different Future Shocks before March - I have lots of seeds of ideas, just need to find the time to flesh a few out, write and refine the scripts, then submit. Easy, right?

Good luck at ThoughtBubble man, are you allowed to pitch multiple ideas a la Alan Partridge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCt1yRMjo0A

I too would be up for hearing about others' pitching experiences!

Pauul

Well, remember that you can only send one submission at a time and you have to wait for your feedback before you can send off another.

I imagine the slush pile is fairly large and the editors in charge have other jobs as well.

Therefore, as you might expect, it could take a while for you to get a response.

You might have a lot of ideas you want to submit before March, but I imagine you'll only be provided the time to submit one, maybe two if you're very lucky. So, choose wisely.

From what I understand, we have two minute to pitch our idea, and then the next person gets their chance. And it's first come, first served.

So, the panel lasts for 50 minutes, and I would expect a large queue of people wanting to pitch, even if you could rejoin the queue at the back, as it were, they're unlikely to get to you again.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, and there are only a few people wanting to pitch, then you will simply get the opportunity to pitch one idea and that's it.

I guess I better hope that I've picked a good enough idea.

Blockmaniac

I'm pitching,too. I'm such a bundle of nerves and excitement at the minute.

Pauul

Yeah, my train is at 6am tomorrow, and I'm pondering how much sleep I'm actually going to get.

At least I've got my pitch written up now, and I even wrote a first draft of the script.

I practiced my pitch on my flatmate, and she reminded me to go slowly.

Anyway, good luck to everyone else who is pitching tomorrow too.

Fungus

From last year's event, a quick synopsis was all that was required. It was a very supportive event and as people's tales unfolded I remember (?!) some 'um's and 'ah's from the audience. We all want to hear new twists (originality seemed to be key) and want people to succeed...

Good Luck :-)

Pauul

Well, I was first up on stage (mainly because I got there an hour early to queue) and made my pitch.

I didn't win, but hey, pitching is tough.

I think I oversimplified my story for my pitch as I was told it sounded more like a one pager. Which is a fair criticism. There were a few more complications in the script that I wrote that I chose to omit because they weren't central to understanding the twist.

And I didn't set up the twist enough. Which, if I choose to submit my script elsewhere, I do need to fix.

At least I did get to pitch though. I think all in all, the panel ended up listening to less than ten pitches, so I made the right move by turning up early.

Hopefully the experience I had this year will help me when I go back next year.

Chris Tresson

Has anyone sent one by snail since the window re-opened? I sent mine the first week of September and I'm assuming a lot of people either got their submissions in before me or the pile isn't being looked at yet.

I was planning on firing a few off before the window closes again but it's looking like I'll be lucky to get two away at this rate, haha...

Pauul

I sent one in a couple of weeks after the window re-opened.

I mentioned to Matt Smith that I'd sent a Future Shock in through the regular channels too, when I spoke to him at Thought Bubble, and he indicated that he hadn't started going through the slush pile yet.

To be fair, going through the slush pile is something that he does in addition to his regular editorial duties, so it's hardly surprising that he hasn't had time to make a start on it yet.