Main Menu

Luke Kirby

Started by Timothy, 21 November, 2016, 07:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Hurrah!
This is the only story I have kept the issues of (I'm a reader not a collector, due to space) so I'd love to have all this in one book.
Count me in.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

iutley

Quote from: Greg M. on 21 November, 2016, 07:08:59 PM
Bloody hell, they've done it! Yes!

At one stage, I'd have said it'd never happen, but after getting Zenith, Dan Dare and the banned Cursed Earth episodes back into print, it seemed quite possible. Well done, Tharg - I never doubted you!

Has Tharg built a crack team of brand new legal droids in the past few years and not told us? Or does he just send Dredd to do his negotiating?! Rebellion are burning through that list of dream projects we all thought would never happen.

Timothy

Next stop Bogie Man! Surely it deserves a reprint, and the 2000ad heritage would help it sell.

Rately

Quote from: Timothy on 22 November, 2016, 10:14:11 AM
Next stop Bogie Man! Surely it deserves a reprint, and the 2000ad heritage would help it sell.

Would love to have Bogie Man collected. Loved it.

Can't wait to see the collected edition of Luke Kirby. I remember having the odd episode in my patchy collection, and loved the John Ridgway art.

IndigoPrime

The only thing I hope with Kirby is that it's collected in proper story order. The one issue with Nemesis 3 was that certain stories were filed as 'extras' despite being important to continuity. The same's true for this one. The bits from specials need to be in the right order, rather than at the back of the book.

The Amstor Computer

Reading between the lines a little here, but the quote from Ben Smith at the end of this Down the Tubes piece - http://downthetubes.net/?p=35293 - sounds very positive, and suggests everyone is on board...

Quote"Summer Magic is a wonderful story that not only pre-dates the recent 'boy-wizard' phenomenon," Ben Smith, head of books and comic books at Rebellion Publishing, commented, "but is one that deals with loss-of-innocence in a profound and sensitive way. It is fantastic to now produce the complete collection of these stories which to my mind are one of the high-water marks in 2000AD's history and are the work of two profoundly important British comics creators John Ridgway and Alan McKenzie, the latter of whom was also one of 2000AD's long-serving editors."

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 22 November, 2016, 12:34:23 PM
Reading between the lines a little here, but the quote from Ben Smith at the end of this Down the Tubes piece - http://downthetubes.net/?p=35293 - sounds very positive, and suggests everyone is on board...

Well, they didn't announce the Zenith reprint by saying "Steve Yeowell's happy to get a bit of dosh after all these years and Grant Morrison's fucking furious about it but our legal advice suggests he hasn't got a leg to stand on, so he can fuck off", either, did they?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: Timothy on 22 November, 2016, 10:14:11 AM
Next stop Bogie Man!

Kirby, Zenith, and One-Eyed Jack are properties Rebellion have either bought or claim they always owned anyway*.

I'm not sure Wagner** would want to relinquish ownership of what he describes as his favourite character creation, but presumably Rebellion are open to the idea of licencing work - that must have been the deal they were proposing to DC for Metalzoic.

Maybe if Rebellion can show healthy balance sheets for properties they licenced from other publishers - like Dan Dare, Misty and Monster - they can tempt the Dan Dare Corp and DC into licencing other material they hold.

* The only recent precedent we have for Rebellion collecting already published, creator owned work is Edginton and D'Israeli's Scarlet Traces, which Rebellion bought on the condition that they gain ownership of past and future material. Rebellion collected Button Man, which apparently is creator owned, but that had already appeared in the pages of 2000ad under the aegis of a different publisher. Rebellion recently published Goldtiger, which is presumably creator owned, but that was original material.

** ... and Grant. Smith is credited as sharing copyright on the first series, but I don't think he shares ownership of the character, since he was frozen out of the Toxic series

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 November, 2016, 12:52:50 PMWell, they didn't announce the Zenith reprint by saying "Steve Yeowell's happy to get a bit of dosh after all these years and Grant Morrison's fucking furious about it but our legal advice suggests he hasn't got a leg to stand on, so he can fuck off", either, did they?

True, though it does sound a *touch* more amicable than this quote from around the announcement of the limited edition Zenith reprint:

QuoteAnnouncing the plans for the hardback, Rebellion said: "Both Grant Morrison and Steve Yeowell have been informed of the exciting plans."

IIRC, Molch-R paid tribute to both Morrison and Yeowell in press releases/interviews at the time as well, but "been informed of the exciting plans" was pretty blunt in a way the quote from the DTT piece doesn't seem to be.

GordonR

Quote** ... and Grant. Smith is credited as sharing copyright on the first series, but I don't think he shares ownership of the character, since he was frozen out of the Toxic series

Robin Smith owns an equal share in The Bogie Man, so that'll be you talkng bollocks again.

The other two owners of The Bogie Man long ago apologised to him over the Chinatoon story that appeared in Toxic.  That story was completely redrawn by Robin, and the original Cam Kennedy version will almost certainly never see print again.

Fungus

When Wagner signed my Bogie Man #1 a couple of years back he asked if I also had any copies of Chinatoon (I don't). He was on the lookout for copies himself. Any going spare?-)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 22 November, 2016, 12:55:09 PMI'm not sure Wagner** would want to relinquish ownership of what he describes as his favourite character creation, but presumably Rebellion are open to the idea of licencing work - that must have been the deal they were proposing to DC for Metalzoic.

Maybe if Rebellion can show healthy balance sheets for properties they licenced from other publishers - like Dan Dare, Misty and Monster - they can tempt the Dan Dare Corp and DC into licencing other material they hold.

It was cost rather than licensing that was the barrier to republishing Metalzoic. Kev O'Neil wanted to recolour the DC version and include 2000AD's black and white.

http://www.millsverse.com/home-welcome-to-the-millsverse-home-of-pat-mills-50-7/

Frank

Quote from: GordonR on 22 November, 2016, 01:31:13 PM
Robin Smith owns an equal share in The Bogie Man

Apparently not. I'd post a screen grab to back that up, but that wouldn't be classy. You'll just have to ask for yourself.

GordonR

Robin Smith owns an equal share of The Bogie Man, and his current intransigence on the matter is the reason why the work is currently OOP.

But what do I know?  I don't spend my life scavenging the internet for precious scraps that make me seem like an authority.  I just know all the people involved.

James Stacey

Quote from: GordonR on 22 November, 2016, 03:12:04 PM
But what do I know?  I don't spend my life scavenging the internet for precious scraps that make me seem like an authority.  I just know all the people involved.
Coming round here with your facts. Don't you know this is the internet!