Started by Timothy, 21 November, 2016, 07:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: robert_ellis on 16 March, 2017, 11:22:59 AM
There's a paperback for £19.99
Links below:

Limited edition hardback (200 copies; b+w Ridgeway print) — £25
Paperback — £19.99

I imagine the latter will be cheaper elsewhere, but for this one, I'm happy to splash out for the hardback. I'm really happy this story's being reprinted. Also, given that loads of my trades now have a nasty case of the bends, I'd like to support more hardback editions, even if they're limited and pricier.

Mardroid

I was impressed by how little more the Barbados was. Okay £6.00 is significant, but when you consider hardbacks are often proportionally far higher than the paperback equivalent... I'm really tempted.

Thing is, I haven't read this before. What if I don't like it? Would the nice edition with the extra lovely print still be worth it in that eventuality? Probably not. I like nice comic art but not to that degree. It seems up my street but, it's still a bit of a chance.

Hmm.

Woolly

Gah! Why am I skint right now?
Fingers crossed the hardback is still available next month...  :'(

Thing is, I haven't read this before. What if I don't like it? Would the nice edition with the extra lovely print still be worth it in that eventuality? Probably not. I like nice comic art but not to that degree. It seems up my street but, it's still a bit of a chance.

Hmm.

Get the paperback, definately. No reason to get the hardback. Noooo siree. Not at all. (cough)  ::)

Rara Avis

Just ordered my hardback copy too.

I've re-read some of this recently when I went through my old comics but I think I missed the beginning and the end. I'm pretty excited to be able to have it all in one go now.

Michael Knight

Hardback ordered just the now. Really looking forward to reading this in its entirety. Remember it running in the Prog when I first started reading it regularly in the early 90s. Gutted that the bookplate edition of The Last American is sold out in the shop. This obviously passed me by whilst I was in hospital for nearly 3 months

Mardroid

Quote from: Woolly on 16 March, 2017, 10:03:30 PM
Gah! Why am I skint right now?
Fingers crossed the hardback is still available next month...  :'(

Hmm.

Get the paperback, definately. No reason to get the hardback. Noooo siree. Not at all. (cough)  ::)

Heh. Joking aside, I think you're right. Someone who loves the series deserves the limited edition hardbacks more. An I'll save even more ordering the paperback elsewhere.

AlexF

I haven't re-read the whole thing ina  while, but I have pretty solid memeoires of the first strip, Summer Magic, being pure ace, while the other longer stories aren't quite to that level. But there are some single episodes here and there that are superb. And yes, the art, from both Ridgway and Parkhouse (the latter especially on 'the Old Striaght Track') that are gorgeous. But I would caution undsure buyers that the story as a whole kind of doesn't finish. I don't know if it was ever meant to, as the whole thing is set up from the off as recollections of a childhood from a now-adult wizard. There are climiactic moments here and there, but I always wanted to know more about what happens to Kirby in the 'normal' world, and was less taken by the wizard-y / devil shanenigans.

Still, Summer Magic on its own is must-have 2000AD!

seanharry

So pleased that Rebellion are doing a hardback for this, and ordered as soon as I saw it last week.

Still furious that I didn't know their was an option for a hardcover of The Last American, and I missed out :(

CalHab

Quote from: seanharry on 20 March, 2017, 02:33:51 PM
Still furious that I didn't know their was an option for a hardcover of The Last American, and I missed out :(

There was an option for about 24 hours. I don't know why they don't print more.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mardroid on 16 March, 2017, 07:30:58 PM
I was impressed by how little more the Barbados was. Okay £6.00 is significant,

So for an extra £6 you get to read it in Barbados? Bargain!  :D

I'm not sure about this - I may need to have browse before deciding if to buy it - I remember quite enjoying it back in the day but it was never one of my top thrills. Even pre-Hogwarts it seemed a bit of a cliche (I seem to remember at the time thinking it was a rip-off of the Dark is Rising  books) Looked lovely though.

Mardroid

Heh! I totally missed that! Even with going and cleverer-than-it-thinks autocorrect on my phone, i don't know how 'hardback' became 'Barbados'!

Mute77

Just ordered this..i never read the original series so im quite looking forward to it!

Woolly

Yes! Hardback still available and ordered. Count one more happy squaxx!

IndigoPrime

The post arrived this morning shortly before an email to say my copy of Summer Magic had been dispatched. And it was said copy of the book. Only had a quick look, but all seems in order. 16/200 in my case, apparently, which means 15 people were somehow quicker off the mark. Looking forward to reading this one.

Timothy

Number 74 for me.