Main Menu

Prog 2009: The Cannibal Run

Started by Trent, 26 November, 2016, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Good Dredd cover by Staz Johnson & Gary Caldwell.

Dredd wraps up nicely with potential to revisit. Nice old school feel to Judge Orville's arc - silly but works.
Something happens in Flesh!! Honest. Overblown showdown with Pasthis Sellbydate or something concludes and half decent cliffhanger sets up final part (with inevitable cliffhanger presumably). Not a bad episode in isolation, tainted by the 8 that preceded it.
Hunted concludes much as expected, the hunt goes on. Good stuff.
Future shock looks okay, will read in a minute.
Savage has lost my interest. Dialogue too stilted and Patrick Goddard's art is just too dark making it a tough read. Might steel myself for a Savage reread over Christmas but probably not.
Overall not a bad prog. Flesh, Savage and Counterfeit Girl end next week ahead of the Christmas prog so all is good in a fortnight.

Trent

Future shock was a good fun riff on the road not taken in Star Wars. Amusing little parody.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Bolt-01

Mattofthespurs

Got mine this morning but have yet to dive in. Think I'll save in until Sunday morning as I'm pretty busy today.

Hawkmumbler

Blimey, Staz Johnson is a bit bloody good!

Colin YNWA

So we have a big change this week with Counterfeit Girl stepping aside for a Future Shock and to be honest it leaves the Prog all the weaker. The twist is weak and once you've got past the limited Star Wars parody stuff the whole thing doesn't really offer much. Eoin Coveney shows promise but for me isn't quite there yet. So we're already down how does the rest fare?

Well the Dredd ends really nicely and leaves the door open. The other ending does the same, of course that's no surprise in Hunted. The stories been pretty good but didn't dig too far into the Traitor General and instead become a fun action romp not realising its potential except in a couple of bursts. Still I'd be happy to see more.

Flesh feels indugent excemplified by the four panels of Pastor Sunday's fate. Which just wreck the timing of the what should be a sudden [spoiler]chomp[/spoiler]. Clint Langley's been guilty a couple of times. The cliff hanger doesn't quite work either but still we'll see how this plays out next time.

Savage likewise has a twist that was pretty telegraphed from the off, but still enjoyable and looking forward to the conclusion next week.

So yeah in a Prog where the best strip is missing and inadequately replaced the fact that a number of other thrills aren't up to par either means that its the weakest Prog we've had in a while. Still always next week...

judgerufian

The printing on the penultimate page of Hunted, secong page of the future shock and the last page of Savage are really smudged in my copy, anyone else got a dud?
Apart from this, the Dredd is a good ending to whats been a fun old school Dredd, tasty Justice Dept approved foodstuff A anyone?
Flesh lost me ages ago, stopped caring when i couldnt recognise one character from another (bizarre that should happen with photo realistic artwork!) and the pace was just so sloooooow.
Hunted has been great fun to read but ultimately its fleshing out a story that we know how it ends so normally would be disregarded so its due to the strength of both writer and artist that its been so entertaing. I also guess for newer readers Hunted would be interesting to make them revisit old progs.
Future shock was mildly amusing, good work!
Savage- at least no song lyrics in this weeks prog! The straw dogs went down pretty easy from being introduced a few progs back as unkillable super robots, now Savage can take on a damaged one with his bare hands. Whereas the reboot introduced some real good stories about the nature of countries under occupation etc, its been running for a lot longer than i thought it would.
Cover is very eye catching but it took ages for me to realise Dredd is bursting through a really futuristic door....

Tjm86

A good few pages of mine were smudged as well so I guess it  must be a duff print run.  Glad I'm not the only one that has lost it on Flesh.

Much as I've enjoyed Hunted I'm not completely sold on Holden as the right artist for it.  Don't get me wrong it is good stuff.  I can't quite put my finger on what it is that doesn't sit right.  Maybe the problem is that the classic artists on RT (Dillon, Kennedy, Ewins, Wilson) have all had a style that suited the strip better.  Wilson in particular managed to capture the technological and devastated equally.

James Stacey

I've got a smudged page on Hunted, the future shock and possibly flesh but I'm not sure if it's possible to tell with that one.

Woolly

Couple more washed-out looking B+W pages here too, but nothing unreadable.

Absolutely adore Staz Johnson's cover. Would love to see him get more Dredd work.

In the prog, both Dredd and Hunted finish on a high. Wyatt and Lynch make a good team on Dredd, and Hunted has been an unexpected delight from start to finish. PJ's art was astonishingly good in my opinion, and suited the strip perfectly.

FLESH! and Savage aint my thing.

Future Shock was OK, but I'm missing Counterfeit Girl already. Charming strip that's really won me over these past few weeks. Rufus is another one who deserves more prog-time!

All in all a solid prog.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Woolly on 27 November, 2016, 04:33:10 PM
Absolutely adore Staz Johnson's cover. Would love to see him get more Dredd work.

Agreed. Staz always delivers quality art. MORE STAZ, THARG, IF YOU PLEASE.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Bolt-01

Same here for the slight duff print- not bad enough to make me want to replace the prog, but still irksome that this wasn't picked up in process.

Not a lot to say from me about the current run apart from how much I've enjoyed it.

Nic_Freeman

As above a couple of pages of mine were smudged very badly.

Overall an enjoyable prog with a really great Future Shock.

Flesh and Savage both feel like deja vu every week to me, which is a shame because the art (particularly Clint Langley's) is lovely.

This is going to be controversial, but I really don't think Pat Mills has produced a good script in some time. The stories feel very slow and dated to me. Lots of two dimensional anti-hero types fighting generic two dimensional facist states. Maybe it's just having two of them in the same prog, but I just find it hard to care what happens in either.