Main Menu

Prog 2009: The Cannibal Run

Started by Trent, 26 November, 2016, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

Really enjoyed that Future Shock. Good fun!

Good prog all round for me. On quite a roll, so we are!

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Smith

Okay ending to two story-lines,and a pretty funny Future Shock.
Savage and Flesh are just kinda going.

Trent

I think the point was specifically two Mills strips not two by the same writer.
Given Pat's seeming desire to link all his 2000AD stories into a single Universe they can be rather tiresome in their similar contrivances.
I would probably put Ian Edgington in the same bracket although his stories remain both distinct and interesting.
Someone like Wagner or Abnett just tells the story and I have no issues at all with Dredd and Johnny or Kingdom and SinDex in the same prog as they are very different.
As with most adverse comments these days, it's all about Pat really.

A.Cow

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 November, 2016, 01:21:42 PM
Quote from: Trent on 28 November, 2016, 12:45:17 PM
I thought the 2000AD philosophy was a 'shotglass of rocket fuel'.
Heh. That was an edict from Andy Diggle's short tenure as editor and about whom you'll struggle to get Pat to say anything positive.

Clint Langley's great art seems to send Pat Mills into slow motion, with Langley frequently taking ten bigger-than-necessary panels to do something that could have been done in two.  (The execrable American Reaper in the Megazine is a perfect example of the same thing.)  Maybe a new artist is needed, to give this (and ABC Warriors) a much-needed shot in the arm.

On the other hand, Savage runs at a much better pace.  Yes, it can be cheesy at times, but I love it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: A.Cow on 03 December, 2016, 03:33:38 AM

Clint Langley's great art seems to send Pat Mills into slow motion, with Langley frequently taking ten bigger-than-necessary panels to do something that could have been done in two. 

Yeah completely this. The big problem is it might be seen as a way to showcase Clint Langley's art but it kills the timing of some key moments and thus spoils the storytelling.

Such a shame as I really thought that Langley could really work on Flesh and there's been moments when he really has. There have been others when its just not been effective.

Tiplodocus

I was really looking forward to photo-realistic dinosaurs and, to be fair, they have totally rocked when we got them,  but in general there is so little content in FLESH that it really beggars belief.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

Quote from: Trent on 02 December, 2016, 10:20:35 AM
I think the point was specifically two Mills strips not two by the same writer.

This is correct.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Darren Stephens

No prog in sunny (ish) Portsmouth as yet...... Christmas post lag, I'll wager!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

sheridan

Quote from: Pyroxian on 28 November, 2016, 12:30:43 PMBy all means have Savage turn up in it, but not as the central character. Hell, have him turn up as a rogue protaganist hindering the actual resistance - that would make things interesting...
You could be on to something there (according to [spoiler]Wolfie Vos[/spoiler], anyway).

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 November, 2016, 10:10:04 AM
Dredd: A proper little Dredd tale, sinister and silly in the correct balance, and with really terrific art from Lynch, his best to date.  Wyatt uses the three parts well, keeping everything flowing between episodes and yet keeping them self-contained, while still leaving room for a return engagement: not an easy trick.  My only regret would be that the baddie didn't have a memorable name - I can't remember it now and I just put the prog down - and it wasn't even mentioned this episode!  Something that rhymed with cannibal would have been good... Annabelle Unger, maybe? Desiree Longpig?  (Well, you can see why I don't get to write Dredd...).

Marissa Bierce.  And I'm hoping we get to see more of her as well.

Link Prime

Just catching up on a Prog back-log and had to mention how much I enjoyed this brilliant 3 part Dredd tale by the Wyatt & Lynch Droids. It had what I can only describe as a discernible 'classic feel' to it.

A really sharp script- Arthur Wyatt's best Dredd tale to date in my opinion- and Jake Lynch continues to impress the hell out of me.
More from this team please Tharg.

Art

The 2000AD Review Page on Facebook as pair of interviews with Jake and myself about Cube root of Evil if anyone is curious about how it came about:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/blackhole2.0/permalink/1767790860153286/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/blackhole2.0/permalink/1768188003446905/