Main Menu

PROG 2011 - Highly Explosive Thrill-Zone!

Started by Richard, 09 December, 2016, 11:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

And so begin the terrible 10-day period between buying the crimboprog and actually reading the damn thing.  Glargle!

Woolly

The postie finally came through! I got the prog!
Only read Dredd and Kingdom so far.

Chris Weston needs to be forced at gunpoint to sign a Tharg exclusivity contract, that lasts until the end of time. Other than that, words fail me. Just jaw-dropping stuff. Not a bad script either.

Kingdom carries on superbly, and definately looks to be running towards some kind of conclusion IMO.

The rest looked great when i flicked through, but is being left for later.

Woolly

Oh, and the cover is fantastic too. But then, it's by The Mighty Cliff Robinson so it goes without saying  ;)

DrRocka

Everything in this prog is great for me - my god, Chris Weston, how the hell do you do such fabulous Dredd art after all these years? Please, more more more!!
Kingdom broke my heart a little. I love you, Gene. Get Whet, ASAP.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Zarjazzer

Boxing Day Dredd was fantastic as was Kingmaker and the b&w Ace Trucking  and still Aquila and Kingdom to read. Xmas is early in Zarjazzer castle.  :)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Bad City Blue

Have to agree with the Chris Weston love - just fantastic art, and not a bad stopry either.

Kingdom was my highlight, easily my top 2000AD story for many a year.

Kingmaker started very well.

Ace Trucking was okay, if horribly clunky in it's premise (WE HATE AMAZON!)

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

sheridan

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 December, 2016, 02:57:58 PM
So far from the X-mas prog she sat and chuckled her way through 'Boxing Day'. Her fave moments all seem to involve Barney the computer and I had to provide a quick who's who for the meal scene. Loved spotting Rinus Limpopop Quintz (SP?) in that scene too.
I didn't spot that - I'll have to remember to check it out when I get home!

I also need to find Rinus in the British Museum.

Mardroid

I did intend to ration out the Christmas Prog, and I did. Well... for a few days.

As always I liked some stories more than others, but overall a good prog.

My take of these Deadworld stories has been mixed, but I enjoyed that one. [spoiler]I would like to know what's going on with that lawmaster (or whatever it's equivalent is called in Deadworld). It's way too bright and seems to know more than it should... :lol: Hopefully we'll find out a bit more in future.[/spoiler]

The excerpt from the novel made me chuckle. Not so much the current story (which wasn't very much to be fair) as the Caning Commando stuff. Dear me.

And after reading the Misty article, I'm tempted to buy a collection of girls' comics. My small-minded teenage self would have been shocked at that. Shame on me (back then).

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 20 December, 2016, 03:37:05 AM
lawmaster (or whatever it's equivalent is called in Deadworld).

Only way I can recall them being referred to is 'byke'.
And after reading the Misty article, I'm tempted to buy a collection of girls' comics. My small-minded teenage self would have been shocked at that. Shame on me (back then).

I did read one back in the early eighties, and liked what I read - but it was about the time I was already getting Eagle, Tiger, Scream, 2000AD and Spike (a short-lived comic from DC Thompson which many here may not have heard of - certainly not as famous as the preceding titles).

Proudhuff

amazing how little response here to Tharg's Mighty Organ at xmas... :-X
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 December, 2016, 11:45:53 AM
I assume people, like me are pacing themselves due to the wait for the next illustrious organ to be thrust through their letterbox.

Tjm86

I'm doing my annual reread of the year's progs.  Up to May.  Start of Brink, Tales of Deadworld and Every Empire Falls.  Some quality stuff so far.  Find it works well as a review of the year to see how everything reads together as well as managing the wilderness days to the first prog of the year.

sheridan

That reminds me - I have to lay out all of the year's progs and megs (as many as fit on the table at any one time, anyway) to try to start deciding what my favourites are going to be...

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 December, 2016, 11:45:53 AM

It's been quiet in general. The comic is solid but unremarkable, and everyone who inspired pile-ons of righteous condemnation by saying un-PC things on the off-topic threads has been banned or got bored and gone elsewhere.

They should hire Andy Diggle to write another drug rape story. Those were the days.

James Stacey

Quote from: Frank on 21 December, 2016, 01:00:20 PM
... everyone who inspired pile-ons of righteous condemnation by saying un-PC things on the off-topic threads has been banned or got bored and gone elsewhere.
Irrelevant, the issue didn't involve Slaine.