Main Menu

Prog 2012 - Gone to Texas

Started by Dandontdare, 24 December, 2016, 12:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

So is it just me who's got their prog so far?

Intriguing opener for Dredd as he tracks a perp to Texas City, but there's bound to be more to it than that. Rumblings of discontent in the TC justice dept at the current status quo, but it's fairly clear that the rank and file have no idea what Oswin was actually up to. Fabulous artwork by Tiernen Trevallion.

Kingmaker hasn't really grabbed me yet, but the mix of high fantasy and hard SF is an interesting idea. I'll reserve judgement for a while, but I'm not hating it.

The Order was never really a favourite of mine, but again, it's eminently readable.

I'm really enjoying Hope for the Future - I'm not familiar with Guy Adams or Jimmy Broxton but they're making a good fist of this noir-magic thriller.

Kingdom is just sublime - It's Gene and Leezee vs the world. The great doggy names keep coming - "Seizer" made me smile, and I've only just got "Major Canis"

All in all, Tharg steers us into 2017 with a solid collection of thrills. Happy New Year!

Richard

I was struck by how good Tiernen Trevalllion's art looks in colour.

Magnetica

Got mine as well. Bit surprised - didn't think it was due till next week.

Geoff

An unexpected treat! And arrived at just the right time, allowing for a leisurely read - the calm before the storm that is Christmas day. 

The new Dredd tale looks very promising and I'm really warming to TT on Dredd. I know some don't, but I do enjoy the caricature aspects of the foreign judges and characters (the guy in white suit and the girl driving the herd remind me of Boss-Hogg and Daisy Duke)

I'm enjoying Kingmaker, action and humour I think..

Hope for the Future reminds me of the Brubaker and Phillips stuff, which is great.

I don't really expect the Order to make sense so I just sit back and enjoy the art.  It's these Wyrms I think, I don't find them to be a particularly engaging long-term foe.

It's hard not to warm to Gene and all the other characters after a while, I haven't read it from the start of the series, and it's always action packed.

Overall a very enjoyable prog.   

Leigh S

Not the first year this has happened (I think it is more common than not over the past few years), but always comes as a nice surprise! Now I have to read 2011!

Richard

I really like Hope. It's well written, and reminds me of The Simping Detective, but a less over-the-top version. I'm curious to see more of the alternate history which is promised for next week. And I love the art style. Have we seen Jimmy Broxton before?

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 December, 2016, 12:03:34 PM

So is it just me who's got their prog so far?

Intriguing opener for Dredd as he tracks a perp to Texas City, but there's bound to be more to it than that. Rumblings of discontent in the TC justice dept at the current status quo, but it's fairly clear that the rank and file have no idea what Oswin was actually up to. Fabulous artwork by Tiernen Trevallion.

Kingmaker hasn't really grabbed me yet, but the mix of high fantasy and hard SF is an interesting idea. I'll reserve judgement for a while, but I'm not hating it.

The Order was never really a favourite of mine, but again, it's eminently readable.

I'm really enjoying Hope for the Future - I'm not familiar with Guy Adams or Jimmy Broxton but they're making a good fist of this noir-magic thriller.

Kingdom is just sublime - It's Gene and Leezee vs the world. The great doggy names keep coming - "Seizer" made me smile, and I've only just got "Major Canis"

All in all, Tharg steers us into 2017 with a solid collection of thrills. Happy New Year!

This ^^^
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

so six of us have got this so far, its a collector's item !! :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Darren Stephens

I got mine, but have been avoiding this thread, as I've not read it yet. Probably goes for other folks too. ;-)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Tjm86

<Sigh>  Posties just been and no prog today.  </sigh.   :'(
Because it came last week!  Yay! :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Sad I know.   :-[

Colin YNWA

Got this over a week ago now, but been saving it so we start the new year on the right track and didn't have a prolonged wait for my next Prog.

So anyway how does the year start, not too shabby I have to say. First we get a great little Dredd, stands up nicely on its own and starts what is already shaping up to be an interesting story. Looked fantastic as well.

Adored that opening box in Kingmaker, the rest didn't live up to last prog's fantastic opener, not bad at all, but setting things up and shaping what I figure will be our key relationship.

Hope for the Future is so firmly in noir, with a tired magic twisted that it feels cliche. Looks stunning though and its not beyond hope yet.

The Order speaking of cliche the idea of throwing together a given era's character super group has become just that, yet when it comes to The Order who the fuck cares. This strip rocks and yep looks bloody glorious too. ... which leads nicely to

Kingdom which my loving is utter cliche but cliche are often there for a reason man this strip rocks.

Keep this up Tharg and 2017 will be a great year.

Mardroid

Cover - A comic style Dredd with a movie style lawgiver. Nice. I like that style of art. Look at the way the artist draws smoke... love it.

Dredd - A nice start. [spoiler]I thought it was the young lady narrating. Probably because the letter was addressed to the person's father. Then it turned out to be the old fella. Of course he might be a 50 year old with grey hair, but even if he is older there's no reason why his father couldn't still be alive with future longevity, etc, but it was an interesting bit of misdirection. That bin full of letters near the end brings home just what life is like for judges. A touching ending to the first episode.[/spoiler]

Kingmaker- I was a tad confused after all that stuff about the Lich king in the first episode, since the main enemy here are aliens. Just shows my mind is a real sieve, forgetting the ending, etc.  Shame on me. Anyway looking back, at episode one, it makes sense. I like it so far. An interesting mash up of genres.

Hope for the Future - An interesting macabre world. I'm enjoying this so far.

The Order - This is the only tale I'm not keen on. I find it confusing and disjointed. Lovely art though.

Kingdom - Good, and lovely art as usual.

Mardroid

I meant to add, concerning the Dredd tale: [spoiler]I wonder if the judge's father is alive, or if it's just a habit he doesn't want to give up, from his early years. A mental enema or self therapy if you like. Just how some people might use a diary. Pour your fears, worries and anger into words... then get on with the job the next day with your mind focused.[/spoiler]

If we never find out, it doesn't really matter. It's doesn't really relate to the story, and it's a nice character moment regardless.

robert_ellis

The opening script font in Dredd confused me for a second. Did anyone else find it odd that Dredd was asking for help with a cafe? Really strong prog with a good mix of art styles. Trevallion's Dredd looks great!