Main Menu

The Lawgiver Pistol

Started by The dude, 05 January, 2017, 01:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The dude

Is there a definitive canon answer to the actual ammo capacity of the MK one and MK Two Lawgiver?

Trout

Jesus Christ no. It's not even clear what kind of bullets they shoot.

While your interest in Dredd is to be encouraged and appreciated, I'm concerned that you're not getting this. People do get a little caught up in Dredd continuity, but mostly that's just for fun or to drive a story. Continuity tends to be pretty loose on this strip.

The writers are just making things up as they go along, and ignoring past stuff whenever they feel like it.

TordelBack

What King Trout said!

However, if you want to explore these things in a non-canon way, all the various Dredd RPGs take a (different) stab at the Lawgiver's load-out, and how it might work. Often with diagrams!

Frank

Quote from: Trout on 05 January, 2017, 04:06:20 PM
The writers are just making things up as they go along, and ignoring past stuff whenever they feel like it.

Yep. The most notorious misstep in the history of the strip - the restoration of Pa and Junior Angel - is an example of concentrating more on not spoiling a story you've told before than making sure the one you're [1] telling now is as good as possible.

If the whole gang had just shown up again and told everyone not to worry about how or why, most readers would have gone with it [2]. As long as the story was good.

[1] That's a collective 'you', including editorial.

[2] Only two of us have expressed any skepticism/curiosity regarding PJ Maybe's unlikely escape from the clutches of Death, Fear, Ginger and Posh

The dude

First off I am not a minutia geek wanting to know what Dreddies navel looks like, but I don't see what's wrong in trying to make sense of all the retcon that the strip has gone through. I for one look at the early Dredds as something written for children, but as we kids of the 70's grew so did Dredd. Out went the more ridiculous  childish element and in came more worldly and adult themes. Is It too much to establish, as best as possible given 40 years of history, some sort of canon. Whether it be Lawgiver Mk1 & Mk2 capability, Dredds arthritis, how old he physically is because we of rejuv or that Walter the Wobot got permanently turned into a new range of Jistice approved sex toys! Feck sake I don't want to go down the shite route of American super hero comics nd keep resetting everything ad nauseam.
In retort and  To finish I don't really appreciate being accused of being too involved in this character and his history. This is a Feckin Dredd forum for the love of Grud. What are we here for If not to at least partly discuss all these contradictions and other interesting tip bits. End of transmission

Frank

Quote from: The dude on 05 January, 2017, 08:04:49 PM
This is a Dredd forum

You hear that? That's the sound of Torquemada and Kano crying themselves to sleep.

The dude

No, it's more like Ace farting matey

The dude

I stand by my MACH 1 T Shirt 😁👍

Tony Angelino

Was there not a "cutaway" diagram of the Lawgiver in a very early prog or Annual? I'm also remembering some Ian Gibson art on the page as well.

That might have provided stats on the gun.

Personally I loved the early lawgiver and think the present one is too chunky. It was likely changed as the new one was easier to draw.

Tony Angelino

Okay Fact Fans.

In answer to my own question there is a cutaway diagram of the Lawgiver in Judge Dredd Annual 1981. It might be a reprint from a prog though.

Magazine capacity 24 shells (2 types x 12) with a magazine on the top and bottom of the pistol.

Heat seeker shells are stored x3 in the glove pouch and were fitted on to the muzzle. They were then propelled by a general purpose shell.

There probably isn't a cutaway diagram for the Mk2 Lawgiver as its just a big chunky gun that is easy to draw. The original Lawgiver is a classic.

JOE SOAP

They make the bullets smaller these days in order to fit as many in that are needed to service the plot of any given story.

Trout

Quote from: The dude on 05 January, 2017, 08:04:49 PM
I don't see what's wrong in trying to make sense of all the retcon that the strip has gone through.

Is It too much to establish, as best as possible given 40 years of history, some sort of canon.

I don't want to go down the shite route of American super hero comics nd keep resetting everything ad nauseam.

I don't really appreciate being accused of being too involved in this character and his history.

tip bits

Let's do this in order. Apologies for editing your comments, but I felt the need for more clarity than you had provided.

1. Neither do I, although I think there's a difference between retcon and progression.

2. No, it's not, as long as you're aware it will be a loose canon, so to speak.

3. Neither do I, but I don't expect it to happen because it's just not necessary.

4. To my knowledge, nobody has made such an accusation.

5. *tidbits

Finally, to sum up: you should read more Dredd comics. They're very rewarding.

- Trout

The dude

Trout I have read them for 40 years on and off matey. More on! Some are excellent some are pretty poor. Thank you for the spell correct reference tidbits, my thumbs are too big for my iPhone!!!!!!!!  Your rather condescending tone is petty

Bolt-01

M.I.K.

The original spelling is "titbits".