Some info on lawgivers here:
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/lawgiver/4055-56771/

Pretty sure I have this as a poster somewhere:

Also came across this:

The dude

Absolutely the ultimate reference guide to
All versions of this Classic sidekick to Dredd. Thank you for posting

Echidna

I have to admit I prefer the Mk II - what can I say, I like chunky, front-heavy sci-fi guns. Plus I'm a noob so I have no nostalgic loyalty to the Mk I. 

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 January, 2017, 10:59:47 PM
A thick black death-dildo with a hump and a handle

I'm so tempted to make that my signature

The dude

Me too! I bought the Planet Replica version😎 Great product, but it lets you see how impractical the design would be physically

Steven Sterlacchini

I think this would make a nice base for a 'working' MK1

The dude

Quote from: Steven Sterlacchini on 10 January, 2017, 08:11:34 PM

Believe it Or not this Mauser was the actual original Choice for 1995 Lawgiver. They were going to use this as the basis for the film Model, but then they went with that bulky Beretta model

The dude

Quote from: The dude on 10 January, 2017, 06:47:53 PM
Me too! I bought the Planet Replica version😎 Great product, but it lets you see how impractical the design would be physically
[
Quote from: The dude on 10 January, 2017, 08:19:03 PM
Quote from: Steven Sterlacchini on 10 January, 2017, 08:11:34 PM

Believe it Or not this Mauser was the actual original Choice for 1995 Lawgiver. They were going to use this as the basis for the film Model, but then they went with that bulky Beretta model
sorry I should have said,Mauser style pistol as this is not the Mauser Broom handle that was first produced in the 19th century

Steven Sterlacchini

The Enigmatic Dr X

I never knew we were on a mk 3. Every day is a school day.
Lock up your spoons!

The dude

Yup, it would appear to be more like the Dredd Movie Lawgiver I believe .. I don't like it!

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 January, 2017, 10:26:33 PM
I never knew we were on a mk 3. Every day is a school day.

Surely the Mk III was scrapped after its dismal trial performance in outer space! When you have to use farm machinery to tackle the Dark Judges you know there are design issues at a level even Samsung would get a laugh out of. 

Mind you, the Mk II somehow survived simultaneously blowing off the hands of most of Justice Dept, so that one was probably marketed by Apple...

In my head the Lawgiver is whatever Carlos drew most recently.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 January, 2017, 10:26:44 AM
Mind you, the Mk II somehow survived simultaneously blowing off the hands of most of Justice Dept, so that one was probably marketed by AppleSamsung...

FTFY. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 January, 2017, 10:26:44 AM
Surely the Mk III was scrapped after its dismal trial performance in outer space! When you have to use farm machinery to tackle the Dark Judges you know there are design issues at a level even Samsung would get a laugh out of. 

That was one thing I disliked about the Dark Justice story (which wasn't bad as a whole). The moment they offered Dredd an upgraded gun, I thought "that's going to jam, isn't it?" And it did. I really like John Wagner's writing, but I'm sure a lot of us saw that coming a mile off. I understand why he did it. The mark 1 and mark 2 lawgivers can take out the Dark Judges' physical forms pretty easily with the incendiary and Hi Ex rounds, so Mr. Wagner wanted to put Dredd into a vulnerable position when facing the DJs. I just wish he had come up with something else. I'm not the brightest person in the world and even I  predicted the outcome.

Since then I've wondered if they fixed the mark 3 and put it into circulation or if it's still being tweaked behind the scenes, or did they just scrap it? Some artists do draw a very different flat top design of lawgiver, but they did that before the introduction of the Mark 3 in Dark Justice.

Anyway, concerning (very small) continuity conundrums:

A prototype Mark 4 lawgiver appeared in the strip before the Mark 3. (Do you remember the story where Dredd got a whole new uniform with built in AI that went crazy? I forget the name of the story, but it starred Gok Wan. Sort of.) I guess their tech division is way ahead in the weapon's technology. Maybe they have another team working on the next model while another is still sorting out the previous prototype. Or that's how long each prototype takes to get passed for mass production.

I suspect the real-world reason is that the writer lost track of the current lawgiver model. Heh. If that's the case, there have been two mark 3 lawgiver designs! Or its the same one brought back again a year or so apart. They look different, but then so does the standard lawgiver depending on the artist.

Grugz

my fave was the one in the dredd vs death game , not as chunky as the mk2 and with a shorter barrel.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html