Main Menu

My Amazing R2-D2 Build Thread

Started by hippynumber1, 07 January, 2017, 06:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

I'll tell you this - the Falcon is amazing (or should that be awesome?) and I haven't regretted it once, in spite of how stressful it has been at times. The thing is huge at just over two and a half feet long and so incredibly detailed it's hard to believe BUT if someone came to me with the model completed to a professional standard and said "You can buy this for £900." I'd tell them to do one! I think it's the time spent working on it and the sense of achievement at the end of each stage that makes it worthwhile and, certainly with the Falcon, everytime I look at it so close to completion I find it hard to believe that I made it!

Something Fishy

Yeah that's the bit that really appeals, especially with this droid.  It does seem a really engrossing project.

Something Fishy

i decided to go for it.  it just looks like a project i can really get my teeth into so why not.  Been fancying some model building for a while and it will keep me busy when my son heads off this year.

Mattofthespurs

Even though I have only completed  the first two part of R2-D2 I thoroughly enjoyed it (even though it only took 10 minutes) and am itching for more parts to drop through my letterbox.

I have the first 50 parts of the Millenium Falcon sitting in boxes and my resolve to wait until I have all 100 parts is waning. If I had the room to be able to set it aside from time to time I would definitely be doing it now.

I've just re-read the entire Millenium Falcon thread and the itch to get started is very strong.

Something Fishy

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 10 January, 2017, 06:14:41 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 09 January, 2017, 06:18:24 PM
Quote from: Something Fishy on 09 January, 2017, 04:58:15 PM
You are tempting me here.  Still not sure though.
It has a still/video camera...and wifi...and responds to voice commands!
His mate might be fluent in over six million forms of communication but I'm not sure R2 will understand Scotch!

The moment I saw that was a link to a youtube video I knew what it was :)

Something Fishy

got my first delivery with the r2 usb stick.. weirdly the drive is actually too big to fit in any of my usb slots (wider than any of my other ones).  either I'm being really dumb or I got a duffer.

Buttonman

Maybe it fits Imperial size ports?

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Something Fishy on 20 January, 2017, 08:30:45 PM
got my first delivery with the r2 usb stick.. weirdly the drive is actually too big to fit in any of my usb slots (wider than any of my other ones).  either I'm being really dumb or I got a duffer.

Mine doesn't fit either of the 2 on my PC either.
Odd.

hippynumber1

That is odd, mine's fine. Are you sure (and feel free to call me names) that it's not just because the body is so round? I had to lift the edge of my laptop slightly before it would fit...

Something Fishy

nah it is the connector itself is wide than any other usb device I have.  it's basically not usb size.  ah well.. it looks nice anyway. 

Something Fishy

The Legendary Shark

Sounds odd. A couple of probably too basic suggestions - Has a piece of the cap come away with the USB connector? Does the connector have some kind of protective blank in/on/around it? Have you tried cheese?

Seems an email might be in order - maybe you've got a foreign batch by accident (though I shouldn't think different countries or regions would use different sized USBs (what would be the point of that?), I wouldn't be surprised).
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Something Fishy

Indeed sharky. I've never seen one in a different sized housing before.  Very odd.

Mattofthespurs