Main Menu

Mega(zin) marathon

Started by Smith, 09 January, 2017, 06:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Citizen Sump(get it?) Long time background character Otto Sump is found dead and his last word were Rosebud.I thought it was going to be a shallow parody with some Sump humor throw in(which can be found,true),but it ends up being unexpectedly touching.Then,there is (another) tragic story of a robotic girlfriend.And the Starsmasher story which pokes fun at George Lucas and Star Wars.Not that funny now that we know its never going to end.
We have a Durham Red anthology,Scarlet Apocrypha.Another Lenny Zero story.Bendatti Vendetta is a new one.Passable action strip.Bad Company/Hellboy reprints are over.
Forgot to mention Alan Barnes is the editor now.Simon Pegg is voicing Johnny in a Strontium Dog audio drama.And Dredd VS Death is out.

Smith

Radlander was another depressing story,but things get lighter with Phartz,an invasion of gasseous aliens.Suction traps came in handy for something other then the Dark Judges.
Young Middenface turns into a lot more serios direction,starting its own version of Portrait of a mutant.Also,mutation seems like a pretty broad term here.Seeing that Bonnie Charlies mutation is being handsome. :-\
Family,I havent read till now,so we will see how that goes.And another Devlin Waugh story.Remember all those vampires from Aquatraz?Well,people are now hunting them Swamp People style.

Smith

Durham Red stories re-imagine her in different settings.She kills Fiends of the Eastern front.Then there is an animesque episode with her and Johnny.And Gronkimon.Ah,the 'mon craze of early 2000's.  :)
And there was Scarlet Traces.I have a confession to make first.There are some stories in more modern times,like Scarlet Traces,Outlier,Survival Geeks,Counterfeit Girl  and The Order that I just blast thru on autopilot,or just stop caring altogether for them.I read every episode of Outlier,but I couldnt say what was it about to save my life.A war with some aliens?
But not to sound too negative(too late?),first Scarlet Traces story was a bit better then I expected.But its still not really my thing.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Smith on 10 February, 2017, 04:22:52 PM
Simon Pegg is voicing Johnny in a Strontium Dog audio drama.

That sounds interesting, I hadn't heard of a Strontium Dog audio before. I tried to find it on YouTube but nothing turned up. How did they include that with the Meg?

Smith

I mean thats in the news section.I havent listened to it,so I can say how it was.

Rogue Judge

Ah, that makes sense. Now days it would likely be a digital download. I listened to the audio drama The Day the Law Died on YouTube recently and it was really well done.

sheridan

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 11 February, 2017, 06:51:57 PM
Ah, that makes sense. Now days it would likely be a digital download. I listened to the audio drama The Day the Law Died on YouTube recently and it was really well done.

Then days it was a digital download (as well as available in CD form).

Big Finish - some still available!

Frank

Quote from: Smith on 11 February, 2017, 05:57:08 PM
There are some stories in more modern times,like Scarlet Traces,Outlier,Survival Geeks,Counterfeit Girl  and The Order that I just blast thru on autopilot,or just stop caring altogether for them.I read every episode of Outlier,but I couldnt say what was it about to save my life.

My thoughts exactly, although I wouldn't identify it as a modern phenomenon. There were always strips like Return To Armageddon or Bad City Blue, where the characters and story never gained much purchase on my imagination or emotions.

They're not terrible; they just bypass my brain and slip quietly out my head without leaving much trace. Whereas stuff that's conspicuously awful, like Sleaze 'n' Ryder or Really & Truly, burns bright still - like a bag of flaming dog shite on my doorstep.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: sheridan on 12 February, 2017, 03:25:03 AM

Thanks for the link, and a good price at that. Is it based off any of the Wagner/Grant stories, and have you given it a listen?

Smith

In something of a reverse order.Reprints(or 2000ad gold) are Slain:Time Killer and Darkies Mob. You could say its something of a spiritual predecessor to Bad Company.We have the Thrillpower Overload detailing the history of 2000ad up to that point,a column by Gordon Rennie and interviews with writers and artists.
Another Young Middenface story starts.Devlin Waughn is literally  Aquatraz 2.There are a few short strips like Sinister Dexter and Apocalypse Soon.Im finding it hard to get into Black Siddha,mostly because the main character is kinda annoying.Family is okay.Gangsters with superpowers. :|
And we have Monkey on my back,which I think is the last Garth Ennis JD story.

Smith

I forgot to mention it,there was also a one-shot about Kleggs.I wonder how it would have went down if they got a series? :)
And there was Juliet November.It shows promise,and I got the feeling there would be more of it,but I guess a series never happened.She shows up later to assist Anderson,and I think that's it.Well,I guess there was a lot of pilot episodes in the Meg that didn't continue.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 13 February, 2017, 11:25:23 PM

Thanks for the link, and a good price at that. Is it based off any of the Wagner/Grant stories, and have you given it a listen?

Both of the Strontium Dog audios from Big Finish are well worth a listen. You haven't lived until you've heard the Gronks in all their glory. :P

Taryn Tailz

And, no, the Big Finish audios are all original stories.

sheridan

As Tailz said - they're all original stories.  I've listened to a few, but want to listen to them in order, somewhat hampered by not having the second one.  If you've listened to the Everything Comes Back to 2000AD podcast then you'll recognise some of it from the intro...

Smith

I'v got them.Im just not scratching.  :)
Im getting this feeling the entire Meg got hit by The-Order-syndrome.Anyhow,Shakedown is a pretty low key story.Except for Blints showing up.Family and Black Siddhe are over for now.Repo-Mex starts.Bato Loco gets one episode.