Main Menu

Mega(zin) marathon

Started by Smith, 09 January, 2017, 06:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

WW2 vampire lovers, excuse a little plug for Zarjaz... this issue has a Fiends of the Eastern Front tale in it and though I haven't seen the finished thing, I have read the scripts and, well... it's zarjaz.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Smith

Jumping ahead a bit,Stalingrad was good.I didnt really notice a problem with the lettering.Or was that some internal joke? :)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Smith on 25 March, 2017, 02:58:14 PM
Jumping ahead a bit,Stalingrad was good.I didnt really notice a problem with the lettering.Or was that some internal joke? :)

No, there was a whole chunk of it lettered in Comic Sans. It did not... look good.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Smith

I mean,I saw,I just didnt pay attention to it.My senses atrophied,I guess.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Smith on 24 March, 2017, 05:57:12 PM
Warzone was a bit predictable,but still good.Seeing Mandroid kinda got me thinking,its almost uncanny that Judge Dredd has never been to Canadia.I think?

Yeah Dredd, head to Canadia eh... I heard on another thread that Canada has become a snowy wasteland in some areas, and houses sugar plantations in others (I assume they are using sugar beets as sugar cane wouldn't grow in cold climates)

Reading your most recent comments has piqued my interest in Fiends of the Eastern Front - I am not necessarily one for vampires, but enjoy war comics and this sounds like a well executed idea. However, looking online it appears that the GN is out of print and not easy to find. But I did come across used copies of Bishops novel which may be worthwhile (but reading a book without pictures... :o )

Smith

I can only remember that one mention of Canada.Weird for a place so close to MC1.Im sure there are more mentions then I can remember.
Yeah,Fiends were pretty great.Sort of like Cross of Iron with vampires.

Smith

After Warzone,Judges go South America to sort things there.Which ends up being a lot like Warzone.Naming a tank McGruder was pretty clever. :lol:
On the other hand,I found Inaki Mirandas artwork a bit too cartoonish.With characters having tiny legs and huge torsos.And not really look like themselves.in the final reveal,I was only around 65% sure its[spoiler] Kazan.[/spoiler]If I didn't know it from before.
And oh yeah,America: The Cadet.Once again,what could I say that wasn't mentioned before?It serves as an epilogue,and something of a new beginning.It reverses the Dredd and rookie formula a bit,with JD being the one questioned.
I still kinda wonder why the Tales from Black Museum remain uncollected.
We have a new batch of stories starting next issue.Well,at least Black Siddhe is over.

Bolt-01

hmmm, Tales of the black museum for the floppy?

Smith

Once again,I dont have a lot to say.We got Anderson: Big Robots(which was good) and Angel Gang Before they wuz dead(which was passable,I guess).
And ofc,Blood of Satanus 3.Best I can say is-its stupid,but it has some nice one liners.
-Hell,welcome to Dredd!
-EAT IT!EAT IT!  :lol:

Smith

I got to #261.Byron Ambrose is getting into politics. :)

Smith

#266 The current cycle of stories is over.Armitage is back.Tempest is a new thing.It obviously didn't catch on.Bob,the Intergalactic Bum is reprinted.
And I remember why I didn't follow Meg regularly back in the day.
Molch-R reviews Lost Girls.Now,that's disturbing on a few levels. :o

Smith

#272 Well,Tempest obviously didn't become a thing.Few shorter cases for Judge Dredd.And Anderson is back.Oh yeah,this has one of the weirdest opening ever with Bill Savage shooting Tharg. :)
[spoiler]It a holodeck thing.[/spoiler]
Low Life is also back.

Smith

#278 We got articles dedicated to tv and movie reviews.Iron Man,Batman Trilogy.Supernatural(unbelievably enough,that's still on),Battlestar Galactica(Yeah,we all thought it was great until we figured out its a boring submarine show set in space).And about older comics like Toxic,Revolver and Warhammer Monthly.Makes sense,seeing 2000ad inspired a lot of stuff in WH40K.Would have been fun to read WH Monthly,anyway.
Judge Dredd-Ratfink is a pretty good story,about the son of Ratfink actually,with something of a hillbilly horror theme.Black Atlantic Rig is back.Oh yeah,those guys.And Tank Girl;tbh I never cared much for Tank Girl,and jumping in the middle like this would be pointless,so Im skipping it.
This run of Anderson is over.It was pretty good.

Smith

The Essential Post-Watchmen comics Marshall Law,Zenith,Kingdom Come,Authority and...The Boys.Really?Even if you liked The Boys,you cant really compare it to any of those.We are talking some of the most influential comics of the past 30 years and one mans rant against superheroes.
Twilight is out.
Citi-Def is here.Just great.At least there are dinosaurs,but even that doesn't help a whole lot.And the big one is Insurrection.Its a good story,but it doesn't fit into JD-universe.Unless it happens in a far future,but thats never stated.I know Abnett denied this being a rewrite of a WH40K story,but it sure look and feels a lot like one.
Space Marines SJS,InquisitorJudge,Tyranids/orcs/whatever Zhind.There,all done,get me Tharg on line one.