Main Menu

Prog 2014 - Daze of Future Past

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 14 January, 2017, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muon

Off-colour jokes aside, this is the strongest collection of strips I've seen in the prog for a while. I love it when there's this kind of diversity among the strips in terms of tone and setting.

The Dredd story is ridiculously well paced and it looks great. I love the way the art alternates between cartoonish, funny scenes and the usual hard-boiled Dredd scenes. The story-telling is so economical it's almost Scrooge-like. The couple of panels showing immediately before Dredd smashes through the window, the moment of action itself and the aftermath was pure, golden 2000 AD.

Everything else is great, too. The Order makes my head spin when I read it, but there's something about it I really like so that's no biggie.

TordelBack

Quote from: Muon on 19 January, 2017, 02:45:39 PM
Off-colour jokes...

Heh! 

One of the great things about this line-up is that there isn't a single Prog 1 or Starlord story in it...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 January, 2017, 03:15:47 PM
Quote from: Muon on 19 January, 2017, 02:45:39 PM
Off-colour jokes...

Heh! 

One of the great things about this line-up is that there isn't a single Prog 1 or Starlord story in it...

Okay that's set my mind racing. Surely that's not a rare thing... or am I missing something?

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 January, 2017, 05:54:46 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 19 January, 2017, 03:15:47 PM

Okay that's set my mind racing. Surely that's not a rare thing... or am I missing something?

Well over the last few years, possibly not as rare as you might think given that Savage (aka Invasion) and Flesh have appeared quite a bit, sometimes at the same time.

Frank

... even more, if you accept that Greysuit is a Mach One reboot. It's less of a leap to posit ABC Warriors as a continuation of Robusters, and Stronty Dog runs for an average of one prog out of every five.

It's even rarer to find an issue that doesn't feature Wagner and/or Mills *.

* Although it's difficult to figure Kek-W, John Burns, Dan Abnett, or even Richard Elson (debuted in 1988) as new blood, the strips themselves are fresh.

TordelBack

Heh, didn't mean to imply no-Prog-1s was a thing, merely noting my pleasure at the number of strong strips that don't owe their origins to the first quarter of the comic's existence: at points last year you could have enjoyed Joe Dredd, Bill Savage, Earl Reagan and Rogue Trooper in the same week, with reprises for the Dark Judges, Slaine, Stontiurm Dog, ABC Warriors and Bad Company. This is good too, but when it's this good there's a special pleasure in new stuff like Brink, Counterfeit Girl and the current crop.

DrJomster

Just caught up on the last three progs and we're firing on all engines! Well done droids! Can't wait till next week now!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.