Main Menu

Meg 380 - Get Ready, Texas City

Started by moly, 14 January, 2017, 07:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

No one got this yet

Nice cover but Jesus redo do and Chris Blythe

New stories start this month with Anderson and lawless retuning but stand out for me is angelic absolutely loved this story and great finish to this run hopefully it will return soon

Trent

Another great Meg. Loving the wholly Dreddverse stories that have run for the past few months, makes the Meg feel far more significant alongside the Prog.

Cover by Jesus Redondo - nice, crisp if generic cover image by veteran droid.

Dredd - new story  by Carroll and Willsher with Dredd in Texas City. If Every Empire Falls only covers last year's Carroll stories he is rapidly accumulating enough further related stories for a second volume. Finally get to see Mega City's secret Chief Judge plant. All very good - these follow up stories are better than the original arc (Grindstone Cowboys apart).

Anderson story starts by Grant and Marshall. Interesting cursed earth setting - hadn't realised how 'urban' Cass's stories often are.

Angelic concludes in very rough fashion with Pa Angel laying waste to everything in his way. Love this less comedic take on the Angel gang and how the groundwork is being laid for everything we already know about them. Can't wait for this to return; lots of mileage still in it and fabulous art. Will definitely buy in trade form if and when released.

Lawless is sublime as ever. Stunning art but the repro on a pages 1 and 6 is not right - muddy and ink heavy. Last page demonstrates Winslade's love of the strip with an image that must have taken ages and ends up being ridiculously detailed yet still clear from a storytelling perspective.

Elsewhere TPO reaches 2014 (looks to finish next month which would make sense given the anniversary and book reissue).

Haven't read other article or David Hitchcock interview yet.

DPS advert for Havn by Si Spencer and Jake Lynch looks intriguing and the floppy covers the penultimate VC's story with the conclusion next month. Brilliant to see this finally collected even if not in TPB - I'll tuck these on the shelf next to the previous trades.

Overall a superb Meg as has been the case for the past few months now.

Frank

Quote from: Trent on 14 January, 2017, 07:13:31 PM
If Every Empire Falls only covers last year's Carroll stories he is rapidly accumulating enough further related stories for a second volume. Finally get to see Mega City's secret Chief Judge plant. All very good - these follow up stories are better than the original arc (Grindstone Cowboys apart).

For expressing an opinion similar to my own, and for correctly formatting the title of your thread, by the powers invested in me, I declare you the winner of the Meg review thread-starting contest.

Sorry, Moly.

moly

Not a problem Trent did a great review

Frank

I'm only kidding, Moly. Mods will decide how to merge the threads.

Swerty

Smith

Nice cover.Not exactly groundbreaking,but it looks good.

CalHab

VCs in the floppy. The seemingly never ending SinDex run is over.

Dog Deever

Quote from: CalHab on 15 January, 2017, 08:28:32 AM
The seemingly never ending SinDex run is over.

Perhaps there is a god after all.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Trent

Not the biggest Sindex fan but I thought the stories read better collected than they did in the Prog. I enjoyed the extended run in the Meg.
That said, beyond happy to see the VCs conclusion finally see print. Talk about overdue!

Magnetica

I don't normally read floppies if they contain stuff I already have but I made an exception for SinDex and would definitely like to see more.

I will also be making an exception for the VCs. Don't know if it is just me but I think it is a bit disappointing they have jumped straight to the last couple of series of "new" VCs and not printed it from the start.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 16 January, 2017, 01:06:46 PM
I will also be making an exception for the VCs. Don't know if it is just me but I think it is a bit disappointing they have jumped straight to the last couple of series of "new" VCs and not printed it from the start.

The early series were released in TPBs; the floppies are the 'conclusion', if you like, for people waiting on the last trade. So just like Sin/Dex, really.

The whole point is that the trades sold badly - if Rebellion repeat the earlier material in the floppies then they're that much more unlikely ever to shift the remaining unsold books.
@jamesfeistdraws

Trent

The floppies don't generally tend to repeat material available in existing trades (Sindex for example).
To many readers reprinting from the start would have just prolonged the torture for the final series which have to be among the longest anticipated reprints in the Rebellion vaults.

Magnetica

Right makes sense. Had a quick scan on Tharg's Online shop and didn't see trade and also hadn't read the editoral. Will see if I can track it down.