Main Menu

Have 2000ad 'merge' with Crisis to promote new collections

Started by matty_ae, 18 January, 2017, 08:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

It would be fun to have a six week 'merger' with Third World War and New Statesman appearing in 2000ad just as if Crisis had only ceased publication in 2017. Could be fun with 'Big News Next Week' etc and seeing new and old characters on the cover.

Steve Green

Not sure - they tried the 'action' special with old characters - but strangely not from their own Action comic.

I think Action would be a better choice - maybe take Death Game 1999 and Hookjaw for a six-week run if they were going to try that, or a 2000AD/Battle crossover (although that's been done to a certain extent with Koburn and El Maldito) Hellman of Hammer Force meets the Fiends of the Eastern Front.

There were a few commissions for the Something old something new theme - maybe a crossovers special to promote the acquired catalog?

Tjm86

Quote from: matty_ae on 18 January, 2017, 08:58:58 AM
It would be fun to have a six week 'merger' with Third World War appearing in 2000ad just as if Crisis had only ceased publication in 2017.

isn't that 

a)  what happened with Finn back in the day

b)  What is happening now with Savage / ABC Warriors / Slaine now?

Just with Mr Mills now channeling Victor Meldrew?

matty_ae

I'm still going with this...(!)

I'd like to see both Third World War and New Statesman updated T2 Transporting style in 2000ad

What happened 20 years later?

Frank

Quote from: matty_ae on 18 January, 2017, 08:58:58 AM
It would be fun to have a six week 'merger' with Third World War and New Statesman appearing in 2000ad just as if Crisis had only ceased publication in 2017

Those stories finished long before the comic folded. If Fleetway had followed the hatch, match, and dispatch playbook, nineties Tharg would have incorporated Fellini & Manara's Trip To Tulum and Commuter's Journey, by Nick Abadzis.

That doesn't sound great, but in the week Crisis folded, 2000ad was finding space for Mark Millar's Robohunter and Alan McKenzie's Universal Soldier 2, so it's not as if there would have been a huge dip in quality.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: matty_ae on 18 January, 2017, 09:38:25 PM
What happened 20 years later?

Tharg was still be waiting for John to deliver the script.  ;)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

matty_ae

matty_ae

The Legendary Shark

Why not do it the other way around? Instead of a merging with, how about a split from? Start off with the comic you want, launch the major stories in the Prog for a bit, then birth your new comic from Momma Prog. Suddenly, one day, the title of the Prog is changed to 2000AD AND X, as if the Prog is pregnant. When X splits away, the title reverts to normal.

Quite an obvious idea, though, so I guess it's already bindun.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

The Legendary Shark

Yes, but I'm talking about birthing a new comic, maybe only for a limited run. Like the Tornado or Star-Lord mergers, but in reverse.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]