Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

Quote from: jacob g on 24 January, 2017, 09:41:07 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but rule of two was mentioned in Star Wars Rebels also?

It could be interpreted that Sith aren't very social, and tend go around in pairs, so wherever there's one, there'll be another nearby. There could still be multiple Sith pairs around though.

TordelBack

Quote from: jacob g on 24 January, 2017, 09:41:07 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but rule of two was mentioned in Star Wars Rebels also?

Ah, there you have me at a disadvantage - I either don't remember, or haven't seen that one yet.

Tiplodocus

I like it - and there's fun to be had swapping Last for Lost* 

And I assumed LAST JEDI meant there were thousands of them again but this going to be the story of the one who was always picked last for sports and team games, that sort of thing.

* Not so much Lest or List. More with Lust.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 January, 2017, 12:18:13 PM
And I assumed LAST JEDI meant there were thousands of them again but this going to be the story of the one who was always picked last for sports and team games, that sort of thing.

Ah, I see - I had it totally wrong so.  I had assumed it referred to a cordwainer who used the Force exclusively to shape shoes.  But obviously that's cobblers.

Professor Bear

Didn't the Emperor have Maul and Dooku as apprentices at the same time?

TordelBack

Apocryphally he was grooming Dooku alright, but didn't take him as an apprentice until after Maul was (not) killed: same as he did with Anakin. Then there was that confusing business with WiFi Dyas. But it's a safe bet that if anyone was out there breaking 'rules', it was Palpatine.

Professor Bear

Perhaps the "two" could refer to the lord and their apprentice, but there are loads of acolytes or whatever?  In the same way there are loads of people in the Jedi temple training or teaching but aren't Jedi, like all the kids Annakin massacres - I don't imagine all of those were apprenticed.

TordelBack

Sure, I think that covers it. You could go so far as to desrcribe the Two as the annointed Dark Lords of the Sith, and the rest as acolytes/inquisitors/wannabes like Ventress, Krell etc.

I, Cosh

I don't remember losing any sleep over it but I did spend five minutes trying to figure out if it was supposed to mean that evey time you killed one somebody else automatically became one. Like Slayers.

Then I decided it was a clever metaphor for the war on terror with there always being another dark threat lurking unseen, even when you think it's gone.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 January, 2017, 12:21:55 PM
I had assumed it referred to a cordwainer who used the Force exclusively to shape shoes.  But obviously that's cobblers

You have no shame. Since the bar has been lowered - Last Jedi.

Zenith 666

von Boom

radiator

Thing is, Luke basically has to die to allow the story to continue. He's too powerful to keep around. Same as Dumbledore in Harry Potter.

I'd be happy with him sticking around in future films in ghost mentor form.

My theory re: the title is that at the beginning of the movie it refers to Luke, and by the end of the film it refers to Rey.

Professor Bear

The problem with killing off an OT cast member is they already played that card in The Force Awakens.  The same gag two films in a row would potentially sour the advance buzz on Episode 9, which already has to work with losing Han and Leia.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 24 January, 2017, 05:47:36 PM
My theory re: the title is that at the beginning of the movie it refers to Luke, and by the end of the film it refers to Rey.

Never tell me the odds.