Main Menu

Help a Poor Futsie Spend His Creds!

Started by Rogue Judge, 26 January, 2017, 08:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Thanks to the opinions of you lot my zarjaz 2000AD collection continues to grow. Based solely on the recommendations from everyone here I have made several purchases, and to my delight, they have been some of the best comics I have read (Kingdom, Jaiger, Glimmer Rats etc.)!

I'm conflicted as to what to buy next, but trust that you drokkers can guide me in the right direction. Below is a list of books I am currently interested in; make a suggestion as to what you think I should read first. I will buy the book that has the most 'votes' at the end of a few weeks (and post my thoughts after reading). If there is a book I should be reading that is not on the list, or a book that is on the list that shouldn't be, let me know! (Note: This list does not include Dredd, Strontium Dog, or Rogue Trooper as I already collect those). Thanks for any input!  :D

•   Flesh: The Dino Files
•   Chopper: Surf-S Up
•   The Complete Al's Baby
•   The Taxidermist
•   Button Man: Get Harry Ex
•   Judge Death: The Life and Death of...
•   The Simping Detective
•   Missionary Man: Bad Moon Rising
•   Mega-City Undercover
•   Leviathan
•   Age of the Wolf

I, Cosh

Leviathan is the best thing on that list.

Nikolai Dante is better. Get the first book of that insted.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Button Man is not just an entertaining forum member, but also one of Tharg's top thrills.

I believe that something along the lines of 98% of long time 2000AD readers plagiarized 'The Killing Game' as an English class essay.

I'd go for that.

Smith

Nobody mentioned ABC Warriors so Im gonna.You might as well jump straight into Volgan War. Not that stories before it were bad or anything.

Greg M.

I'd written a lengthy screed on how, despite some less essential inclusions, Chopper: 'Surf's Up' does contain 'Song of the Surfer', which is one of the absolute crowning glories of 2000AD's entire run. But... it's probably even better if you've already encountered Chopper in the various Dredd yarns in which he originated. So probably worth leaving until you've got up to Case Files 11 for maximum impact.

Smith

I think RJ is around CF18 or 19 now,so he should have the previous Chopper stories covered.

Greg M.

Quote from: Smith on 26 January, 2017, 10:01:53 AM
I think RJ is around CF18 or 19 now,so he should have the previous Chopper stories covered.

In which case I indeed recommend 'Surf's Up' - with the caveat that the brilliance of 'Song...' is counterbalanced by the post-'Song...' stories. If you're looking for a volume of consistent excellence, this may not be the one. If you want the best non-Dredd Dreddworld tale there is (and its excellent predecessor), and are prepared to put up with some other stories, none of which are bad when viewed in isolation, just unnecessary in context, then this is it.

Echidna

I'm continually impressed by your commitment to thrill power, Rogue Judge!

The only post-Song of the Surfer Chopper story I've read so far is Earth, Wind and Fire, which is... fine. It's hardly Garth Ennis's fault - Song is an all-time classic, and a tough act to follow.

Al's Baby is fun, but it's not essential - unless you happen to be a fan of Damon Runyon or Guys and Dolls. I am, so I was delighted by lines like "[spoiler]Al takes out his ice machine and lays it on the table and it is a pretty safe bet that the first one to burst out laughing is going to be doing it without the aid of a face.[/spoiler]"

James Stacey

Cosh is wise. Start on your epic Nikolai Dante odyssey, you won't regret it.
From that list however I'd go MC Undercover next.

Smith

Actually,there was a Chopper one shot in Meg 2.36,but its not really worth mentioning.
I second the MC Undercover recommendation.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 26 January, 2017, 08:14:30 AM
Leviathan is the best thing on that list.

Nikolai Dante is better. Get the first book of that insted.

This is pretty much spot on.... well except.

See with the things you enjoyed I'd go with what Cosh says BUT my recommendation is to go for a punt and get Flesh Dino Files. Its brilliant but of course a very different beast to the stuff you have read up to now, in that its from the very early days and as such is aimed at a younger audience... though is pretty superb and surprisingly violent. Here's some thought from myself when I reread it for the umpteenth time recently

QuoteArh Flesh Book 1, I will never doubt you again.

I've read it for the third time in maybe 5 years and it really is the Thrill that keeps giving... well okay not giving, its not as if it has any hidden depths or is anything other than its meant to be on the surface. BUT since on the surface its THE BLOODY COOLIST STORY EVER, dinosaurs, cowboys, blood, guts and a monster as villianous and terrible as any there has ever been, frankly who the hell cares. I think I've talked about this countless times before. Each time I've re-read it though it doesn't disappoint. Its well plotted has wonderfully engaging characters, in all their vivid two dimensions and if basically the joy of reading action and adventure comics boiled down into its puriest, undistilled form.

Its simply the best.

Theblazeuk

I can send you I think book 3 or 4 of Nikolai Dante (The Great Game) if you get going on that - I won some kind of facebook competition but already owned this book, so Molch-R told me to keep this one and sent me the collected Future Shocks instead (what a lovely droid). I always wanted to pass it on to someone but it is mid-series, I don't know many comic book readers in RL, feels like a waste in a charity shop AND it's not kid appropriate....

AlexF

I recently bought the digital collection of Age of the Wolf and am half-way through. It's better than I remembered from the weekly, and I'd recommend that as a really good flavour of the sort of thing 2000AD does today. If you like that, as well as all the JD/SD/RT you've been reading, it's a pretty safe bet that you'll enjoy almost anything Tharg has to offer!

I'd also recommend avoiding Mega City Undercover for now in the hope that they produce a new set of collections specifically for Low Life, which is far and away the best of the 'undercover Judges' serials. Unless you feel you need a Dirty Frank fix in a hurry, and I wouldn't blame you if you did!

Magnetica

For me the first series of the ABC Warriors is by far the best, so I would go for Mek Files vol 1 which has colour centre spreads.

A few other obvious things to add to your list (IMHO)

Nemesis the Warlock esp vol 1 and 2

Early Slaine up to end of The Horned God plus the Langley stuff if you like. You might not want to bother with the bits in between.

Zenith.

Robo Hunter.

Ace Trucking.

Of the stuff on your list my vote goes to the Simping Detective. Simply the best thing in the Meg ever (well until Lawless came along).

Oh and Age of the Wolf is no where near my best of 2000AD list.

James Stacey

Quote from: AlexF on 26 January, 2017, 02:00:35 PM
I'd also recommend avoiding Mega City Undercover for now in the hope that they produce a new set of collections specifically for Low Life, which is far and away the best of the 'undercover Judges' serials. Unless you feel you need a Dirty Frank fix in a hurry, and I wouldn't blame you if you did!
MegaCity Undercover 3 only came out in October so I wouldn't thing a new set would be likely in the medium term