Main Menu

SHORT STORY COMP - 40TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL

Started by Bad City Blue, 03 February, 2017, 10:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Heath C Ackley

THE SCOUT

I found him in the college arena. Clay flew alone, working on his penalty shot. The thunk of the steel ball hitting home brought back memories, most of them unpleasant. I limped over to the centre zone. The team management had been watching the kid for a long time. He had the talent - and more importantly - the balls to play professionally. The college aeroball season was far from over but we feared that another team would soon step in to claim him.

'John Clay.' I shielded my eyes against the floodlights. 'I thought you would be taller.'

Beneath the tinted visor, his eyes narrowed with suspicion.

'I've heard a lot of talk about you Clay. You've built up quite a rep. I was expecting some kind of giant.'

'Stick around.'

That's right. That's where he got the name - from me.

'You're Jim Strode.' He descended to stand before me. 'You used to play for the Heroes.'

He gave me that look. Everyone does. Yeah, I'm that Jim Strode - the one who, with enough pills to stock a drugstore in his bloodstream, hit the arena floor at ninety. I handed him my holo-card. The heat of my touch activated the clip of my winning goal in the '48 final. The attitude left Clay. His eyes went wide and his mouth comically dropped open.

'Yeah, I'm their chief scout now.'

'The Heroes want me?'

'You can play son and we think there's a place for you on the team.' I slapped his arm. 'Talk to your family and give me a call.'

A grin stretched across his face. I gave him the pitch.

'There's a support group for rookies like you. They can get you a nice place or help your family with a little cash. Maybe you want a car or a girl or something to make you feel better?'

The grin died.

'You don't have to do anything now.' I shrugged. 'But later, when you're a pro, you could provide information or perhaps help them out during a game.'

His expression soured. He thrust the holo-card back at me.

'If that's what it takes to play for the Harlem Heroes then I want no part of it.'

'Well done John.' I clicked my fingers. 'You passed the audition. I'll see you at the Academy.'

I left him in the silent arena, still staring at the card in his hands. Clay had chosen the right path. I was another story. Taking out my cell phone, I called the Asshole.

'Clay hasn't made a decision yet but I know he's in. I'm sorry but he won't co-operate with the Red Room.'

'Can he be pushed?'

'I advise you against that Mr Cord.' I gripped the phone hard. 'The Heroes need this kid.'

'I'm beginning to regret my investment in your recovery Strode.' The Asshole sighed. 'But I'll keep Clay out of it. There are other ways to control the team and the game.'

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Bad City Blue

Some great stories, though some spuggers  have not followed the brief...

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

NapalmKev

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 13 March, 2017, 11:29:57 AM
Some great stories, though some spuggers  have not followed the brief...

Apologies! I lost two previous drafts through a combination of Weed, liquor and a shit laptop. My third draft (my actual story) is patchy at best and I managed to miss a key section that was present in both previous drafts.

I certainly don't expect to win but I plan on re-writing the story (just for fun) and will post it sometime if anyone would like to read it.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Bad City Blue

Echidna

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 March, 2017, 12:19:27 PM
Quote from: Bad City Blue on 13 March, 2017, 11:29:57 AM...some spuggers  have not followed the brief...

Off-topic stories make Shako a sad polar bear...

Aw, now I want to do a Shako story instead of Savage. Sorry Bill, I'm getting nowhere.

Heath C Ackley

Ooops...(clears throat, shuffles feet and mumbles an apology)...Back to the drawing board!

clavell

That's My Name.

Justice Department audio transcript. Extract of statement by Marlon Shakespeare / aka Chopper / aka The Midnight Surfer.

I just wanted everybody to know my name, that's all. That's all. That's why I was a scrawler, and that's why I was the 'Midnight Surfer', but you'll never understand. Judges can't understand anything like that, because you're not human anymore. You'll never understand being one nobody in a city full of them, trying not to stand out because you'll just step on us as hard as you can. Even the Phantom understood that, and he was a robot. You stepped on us both, but you didn't step on me hard enough or long enough to keep me down. That means I've beaten you, doesn't it ? You can't keep me down. You can't break me, and you know it. You heard it out there tonight. They were all shouting my name ! You can lock me in those cubes for ten years or twenty, it won't make any difference. I'll still be King Surfer. Just like I was King Scrawler. Even if they don't remember me when I come out, even if I never come out. I did it. I still did it. I took that tunnel backwards. Carrying Yamamoto ! I won Supersurf Seven ! I beat the Judges when they tried to stop me - they couldn't stop me ! Now everybody knows my name ! Everybody knows Chopper !
Writing Future Shocks is hard !

Heath C Ackley

A QUESTION OF SUPPORT

'Hi, I'm John 'Giant' Clay of the Harlem Heroes. Every aeroball player needs support. Out there in the arena, I rely on the trust and support of my team-mates like Curly, Slim and Zack. I watch their backs and they watch mine. When you're flying at one hundred miles an hour towards the studded fist of an opponent, you need friends there with you. As with any modern athlete, I welcome the chance to connect with the team supporters. After every game, I like to go over to the stands and personally thank the fans for their support. You guys are the real reason we won the World Championships. Confidence and support are vital in the game and in life. That's why I wear Knut-Sak Athletic Support Garments. Strap one on today and you're ready to take on the world!'

You Too Can Be A Giant With Knut-Sac!

please note that garments do not protect genitals against jet-powered kicks, fists or steel balls.

Bad City Blue

NapalmKev

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 15 March, 2017, 11:26:59 AM
Any more for any more?

I thought the deadline was the middle of March? If the comp is running for a couple more days I could probably produce something - closer to the original 'brief' than my last effort.

If not, no worries.

Cheers

Bad City Blue

go for it

Quote from: NapalmKev on 15 March, 2017, 01:14:52 PM
Quote from: Bad City Blue on 15 March, 2017, 11:26:59 AM
Any more for any more?

I thought the deadline was the middle of March? If the comp is running for a couple more days I could probably produce something - closer to the original 'brief' than my last effort.

If not, no worries.

Cheers

NapalmKev

Cheers, BCB! Right, here we go...

"Fire's looking good, now where are the Snuttin' sausages? I'm starved!"

"Right then, now those baby's are cooking I'd like to tell you a story! A tale of subterfuge..., sneakery... Bastardy of the highest level! I'm going to tell you about the time I got tricked by a robot."

"Give 'em a turn, make sure they don't burn! Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, Myself, 'Machine-Killer Dave', 'Phil Dangerous' and 'Sausage John' were sent to Tibet to meet with a Guy who reckoned he had information on some Big Threat that was supposedly heading Earth's way... Yeah, I know how it sounds - A bunch of old Geezer's going to meet some Geezer on a Mountain full of...um, Geezer's! 'Snutting Bullshit' I thought but we couldn't ignore a potential threat to old 'Mother Mud', so off we trotted... Mmmm smell those Badboy's... to meet this Guy..."

"...and he tells us what's what! Big Brain was back... Yeah, I Know... The Big Bad himself. I was less than impressed to say the least and I thought John was going to cry but we held it together for the most part. Anyway, he goes on to tell us about an army of Robot's being amassed off World, and how we've been infiltrated by a new kind of shifty metal bastard - one's that could pass as Human! I remember Phil's words, clear as day...'No Robot could ever get past us, we're the best that Humankind has to offer! Sam alone has killed millions of the Snutter's! Who was that famous dude you killed Sam? The Theme-Park bloke... Walt Hitler was it? He thought he could try it on and got...', and then Phil's head disappeared from his shoulders and ended up mostly on my Hat and Jacket! Turns out the Guy we met was one of the new Robot's and he had lured 'Humankind's Best' into a trap!... How're the Pig's doing? Have we got any ketchup?"

"...and we made it! Now then, do you know what the moral of the story is kids? Tommy? Clarissa? How about you Kabir?... No? Well neither do I but one thing's for certain - I ain't being caught twice by the same Snuttin' trick!"

Sam reached into his Jacket...