Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Craft Beer  (Read 474 times)

Mikey

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Science fan
    • View Profile
Re: Craft Beer
« Reply #15 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:17:20 am »
I always joke that I liked craft beers when they were called real ales, but I understand craft beers to mean small scale breweries right enough. The whole craft beer thing has been great for getting good beers more widely available than ever.

When I started drinking, 'real' beers were nigh on non existent in Norn Iron though brown keg stuff like Bass and Smithwicks were readily available. I inevitably graduated to drinking Guinness (none of that chilled gubbins mind) which gave me a taste for bitter drinks. When a Tesco finally opened where I live and Wheterspoons arrived, at last I could get some good beer near enough when I wanted.

Anyhoo, the local breweries (Belfast Brewery, Hildens and the Whitewater Brewery) can produce decent pints but I find in bottles they all have the same unpleasant aftertaste so I tend to avoid them. Recently I've been enjoying stuff from the Boyne Brewery, especially their Pagan's Pillar which is a good copper ale.

I could go on for quite some time about beer, including illustrations. I regularly get mixed boxes of beers delivered and I usually take a pic of them and post my 'review' on me Facebook ☺️ Of the breweries mentioned above, I've enjoyed stuff from Siren and Great North but two of the best I've had have been a saison from the Bad Seed brewery and a Russian Imperial Stout by Black Sheep. I generally like everything from both of them that I've had as well as Stone and Whychwood (Hobgoblin was my first real beer!) and last night I was drinking Theakston's Old Peculiar.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.