Main Menu

The Film Star Challenge!

Started by JamesC, 17 February, 2017, 10:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Michael Ironside?

Total Recall
Top Gun (come on, its a cabbage classic!)
Scanners
Highlander 2: the quick buck.
Starship Troopers

Also another Seaquest alumni, and who can forget Ham Tyler?

JamesC

Michael Caine - Get Carter, The Italian Job, The Man Who Would be King, The Ipcress File, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Children of Men, The Dark Knight.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 19 February, 2017, 06:57:48 PM
Michael Caine - Get Carter, The Italian Job, The Man Who Would be King, The Ipcress File, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Children of Men, The Dark Knight.

WINNER.

(Not Michael.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Jaws: the Revenge...

Mardroid

Quote from: sheridan on 19 February, 2017, 08:53:55 PM

Jaws: the Revenge...

Heh. A silly film, but he was amusing in it. I loved his reply, when asked how [spoiler]he escaped the shark. "It wasn't easy!"[/spoiler]

Tony Angelino

Yes I think Michael Caine may now be in my second place after Clint Eastwood.

Add in Zulu, Too Late the Hero, The Eagle has Landed, A Bridge Too Far, The Battle of Britain and he has quite a good body of work. Admittedly he also has a lot of duff movies too.

Frank

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 19 February, 2017, 09:41:12 PM
Admittedly (Caine) also has a lot of duff movies

He'd probably win the opposite version of the competition too: which star you'd hate to be trapped watching for 24 hours:

Interstellar

The Dark Knight Rises

The Weather Man

Bewitched

Austin Powers in Goldmember

Get Carter (Stallone remake)

Bullseye!

Water

Blame it on Rio

The Swarm

Tony Angelino

Yes. Michael Caine had no bad movie filter and it was probably through luck as much as anything that he was in so many good films. Something which also hit Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro later in their careers where they would appear in just about anything for money.

Having said that I don't think I would include either Pacino or DeNiro in my choices for this challenge though. They made some good/great movies between them but I wouldn't want to sit down for a day and watch them. If I'm being honest I probably couldn't watch The Godfather in one sitting now. 

Frank

As well as money, it's probably because Caine's a very good actor. There must be an element of seeing whether he can still be good in any old shite, or elevate something ordinary. His screen acting masterclass is sort of legendary in thesp circles:

https://youtu.be/bZPLVDwEr7Y?t=2m8s

sheridan

By the way - Karl Urban.

• Lord of the Rings
  • Star Trek
  • some film in 2012
  • Pete's Dragon
  • the upcoming Thor: Ragnorok
  • a whole host of interesting looking films I haven't seen yet

Pegasus P Artichoke

He's already been mentioned but I would also go for Kurt Russell

Another actor i could watch is JT Walsh, he was a terrific character actor

For sheer body of work I think Frank Welker has to be up there if going down that route
We'll give them back their heroes

Tiplodocus

Richard Dreyfuss?  A good mixture of drama, blockbuster and comedy. You'd get the added bonus of Speilberg at the height of his powers.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tjm86

Amen!  I've always been a bit partial to "What about Bob."

I also can never watch anyone sculpting Mash potato without trying to lop the top off their mountain!

Rara Avis

Good choice.
I would recommend this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0839938/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_23

Quote from: sheridan on 20 February, 2017, 02:09:24 AM
By the way - Karl Urban.

• Lord of the Rings
  • Star Trek
  • some film in 2012
  • Pete's Dragon
  • the upcoming Thor: Ragnorok
  • a whole host of interesting looking films I haven't seen yet

Rara Avis

Has no one mentioned Jack Nicholson yet?

Sure he's had a few duds but you'd spend a day watching Easy Rider, Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Shining, Batman, A Few Good Men, Mars Attacks, As Good As It Gets ..