Main Menu

Eagle Photostories

Started by JLC, 25 February, 2017, 04:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLC

I think the consensus is that these weren't very good but I enjoyed them. Am I alone in this? Have they ever been collected & rereleased?

Richard

I don't think they have, but I would love to read the original episodes of Doomlord.

sheridan

I'm not sure I ever owned my own copy of Eagle of the era, but I certainly read a few.  I suspect the main reason they haven't been reprinted (other than ownership by the reprint-averse Dan Dare Corporation) is that reproduction of the photos wouldn't be very high quality unless taken from the originals.  I'm still holding out for a Bloodfang reprint (to the uninitiated - basically Flesh Book 1 mark 2 - though I think the first series only featured dinosaurs, i.e. no time-travelling cowboys).  That latter after Eagle ditched the photo strips!

The Amstor Computer

Hibernia reprinted an early Collector photostrip in the first Eagle Adventure Special, but that's it so far. Repro on the photostrips isn't too troublesome, but you do get less "clean" results than with line art - best case for reprints is that you get near-as-damn-it to the original printing without introducing any weird moire effects etc. I'd love to have a crack at the Doomlord photo stories but no luck there yet, despite David's best efforts.

I did suggest Bloodfang as a possible future reprint, but I'm not sure it was too popular an idea ;) I rather like it, particularly that first dino-only strip with lovely Jim Baikie art.

Trout

I'd love to see a fan-made version. Imagine the fun it would be...  :lol:

JayzusB.Christ

I remember being profoundly disturbed by Walk or Die as a kid.  I re-read it recently though, and it was kind of shit.  I suppose it just wasn't written with a middle-aged 21st century readership in mind.

I have very fond memories of Bloodfang, the collected edition ('floppy' in modern parlance, I suppose) of which my mam bought for me when I was ill. I re-read it many times over the years; and enjoyed it every time - the sheer viciousness and lack of any human presence made it kind of unique for me.  It's probably still in my parents' attic; I'll have a hunt for it sometime.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

freq

This thread brought back memories of the heady days of Joe Soap,Manix,Doomlord etc.............magic stuff! Quite like Clint Langleys modern take on that particular artform! I remember a really dodgy Nemesis and Torquemada photostrip in 2000ad many moons ago

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I never.  A quick glance at Wikipedia reveals that Bloodfang was a John Wagner script.  No wonder it stood out. Also, never knew there was a sequel; which according to Wikipedia appears to bave been some kind of Flesh crossover (or perhaps blatant rip-off).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: freq on 25 February, 2017, 11:18:10 PM
This thread brought back memories of the heady days of Joe Soap,Manix,Doomlord etc.............magic stuff! Quite like Clint Langleys modern take on that particular artform! I remember a really dodgy Nemesis and Torquemada photostrip in 2000ad many moons ago

The Nemesis and the Torquemada photo stories were illustrated / photographed by Tony Luke, RIP.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 February, 2017, 11:33:25 PM
Well, I never.  A quick glance at Wikipedia reveals that Bloodfang was a John Wagner script.  No wonder it stood out. Also, never knew there was a sequel; which according to Wikipedia appears to bave been some kind of Flesh crossover (or perhaps blatant rip-off).

Rip-off / homage / re-use of same idea (can you rip something off when - at the time - the same copyright holder published both stories?)

matty_ae

The Collector & Doomlord = excellent
Joe Soap = very funny and quite edgy for its time

Smokey / Sgt Streetwise / House of Correction /Saddletramp = I could take or leave

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 26 February, 2017, 01:52:12 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 February, 2017, 11:33:25 PM

Rip-off / homage / re-use of same idea (can you rip something off when - at the time - the same copyright holder published both stories?)

Fair point.  Was the second one written by Wagner too?

I don't remember much about Joe Soap, except that his real name was Joe Soper and he seemed to lose his trousers quite a bit.

JLC

Oh & as we all know, Sgt Streetwise was in Lifeforce!

Michael Knight

Your not alone JLC I too loved the photo stories. I'm still hoping a collection produced of Doomlord, including the first photo strips.

Tony Angelino

Something I have wondered about, usually at work when my own job becomes too difficult for me, is who came up with the design for the Doomlord mask?

It cant have been Heinzel as the photo stories pre-dated his work on the strip so was it specially commissioned for the comic?