Main Menu

Eagle Photostories

Started by JLC, 25 February, 2017, 04:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 12 March, 2017, 10:02:49 PM
Something I have wondered about, usually at work when my own job becomes too difficult for me, is who came up with the design for the Doomlord mask?

It cant have been Heinzel as the photo stories pre-dated his work on the strip so was it specially commissioned for the comic?

I believe they just bought it from a fancy-dress shop...

Tony Angelino

Surely not?

The two mainoptions are that (1) they bought it from a fancy dress shop or (2) they had it specially designed for the strip. I would have thought if they bought it from a fancy dress shop there might have been some copyright problems with the design at some point.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 12 March, 2017, 10:45:06 PM
Surely not?

The two mainoptions are that (1) they bought it from a fancy dress shop or (2) they had it specially designed for the strip. I would have thought if they bought it from a fancy dress shop there might have been some copyright problems with the design at some point.

I believe - thought I can't find the article I think that mentioned it now - that it was just an off-the-shelf mask. There is a chap called John Shearer who has one that he bought in the '80s, and he's on Twitter so there might be an avenue there to find out a bit more...

I know that at least one Eagle cover had Doug Church - former 2000AD art editor - under the mask. From his interview in "Beyond 2000AD":

QuoteEagle followed teen titles and had some photo-strip stories. One was Doomlord, a menacing alien visiting Earth. I suggested to Dave that a situation where the character turned himself into a Nato general with a finger on the nuclear button could make a good cover. Dave liked the idea and would get it written up, but we didn't have the required colour pic of Doomlord. Grabbing the rubber mask that was used in photo sessions and wearing a suit and tie, I headed up to Gary Compton's photographic studio. Donning the evil mask I popped my head into a room full of leggy young girls probably waiting for a fashion shoot. "Which one of you is doing the dirty movie with me?" I asked. They all just sniffed and told me to buzz off. After my pic had been taken and not wearing the mask, the same girls all shrieked in mock horror!

sheridan

Surely not?

They'd never just buy an off-the-peg ape mask (for instance), stick a brooch on the forehead and pair it with a jumpsuit, would they?

sheridan

Quote from: JLC on 03 March, 2017, 02:52:46 PM
Oh & as we all know, Sgt Streetwise was in Lifeforce!

Erm, lifeforce the naked Italian alien vampire film?

(edit) well, the film was British but the naked alien vampire was played by an Italian actress...

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 12 March, 2017, 11:05:56 PM
Surely not?

I believe - thought I can't find the article I think that mentioned it now - that it was just an off-the-shelf mask.

To this day I still Energizer-to-kick-myself I didn't buy one when (mid '80s) the Brighton Pier gift shop was selling 'em. No mention of 'Doomlord' as I recall, just some generic monster mask being flogged along with everything else.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

matty_ae

I thought there was a Doomlord mask in Madness 'House of Fun' video.
I say that because I've since watched it on youtube and can't see it.
Misremembered?

Tony Angelino

The Tharg mask does look like it has had a bit of work done to it to make it unique (for those of you who apparently think that Tharg is wearing a mask). The Doomlord one doesn't look like its been altered in any way.

sheridan

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 13 March, 2017, 06:15:32 PM
The Tharg mask does look like it has had a bit of work done to it to make it unique (for those of you who apparently think that Tharg is wearing a mask). The Doomlord one doesn't look like its been altered in any way.

Of course early Tharg wore a mask.  I've seen pictures of Tharg now and he looks a bit different to how he looked then.  He was obviously sparing us his visage in all its verdant lusciousness at the time, allowing us to acclimatise to thrillpower.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 13 March, 2017, 07:24:34 PM
He was obviously sparing us his visage in all its verdant lusciousness at the time, allowing us to acclimatise to thrillpower.

Thrillpower is like the hawk...

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: matty_ae on 13 March, 2017, 04:59:10 PM
I thought there was a Doomlord mask in Madness 'House of Fun' video.
I say that because I've since watched it on youtube and can't see it.
Misremembered?

There were TWO different videos for House of Fun, it might be in the other one  - I can only find a really low resolution version of it online, though (they've all got masks on at one point, but I can't make out any details!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EbJtNWo5cQ
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Fortnight

I would love to see the Doomlord photostories in print. I'm certain that I will, and here's my logic:
Years ago I scanned all my Eagles (which was the entire run) with a view to compiling (maybe even printing) various stories for my own reading pleasure. I began cleaning up the scans of selected stories - I started with Doomlord (first drawn strip) because Doomlord was ace and the drawn ones seemed easiest. And then Hibernia released a reprint. Hmm. So, after the chagrin wore off, I bought it (of course), shrugged and moved on to my other favourite long-runner, the Thirteenth Floor. And then Hibernia released a reprint of that. Which I bought (of course). So I shrugged and moved on to my favourite short-run standalone story - I'm bound to get that done quickly enough, right? Of course, that was the House of Daemon. Bugger. Bought.
So, since I've now moved on to the Doomlord photostories, and my lack of luck has proved legendary, I am expecting Hibernia to release a reprint any moment now. I've finished all of the very first Doomlord and two-thirds of Doomlord II, so... c'mon guys... don't let me get right to the end before doing it.