Main Menu

The 13th Doctor

Started by Link Prime, 02 March, 2017, 01:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

Quote from: Goaty on 02 March, 2017, 04:14:19 PM
Russell Tovey?

Yesterday's man.  RTD was touting him about 10 years ago as Tennant's replacement.

sheridan

Quote from: GordonR on 02 March, 2017, 02:50:03 PM
Quote from: Rately on 02 March, 2017, 01:53:18 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 02 March, 2017, 01:25:30 PM
I'll miss the superb Capaldi, but wouldn't mind seeing Julian Rhind-Tutt or Richard Ayoade take the keys to the TARDIS.

Loved Capaldi in the role, and hoping that they continue the run of excellent actors in the role whether male or female!

They'll absolutely cast younger.  The Capaldii era has not overall been much of a ratings success, especially with younger age groups who made up a huge part of the Tennant and Smith eras.

Great actor, shame about the stories.  How could the person who wrote Blink do so badly as a show runner?  Let's hope Big Finish does better with post-TV Capaldi stories.

I don't think I recognised any of the suggestions on this thread, apart from Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley, right?  About time the doctor got his ginger hair - though I'm probably being naive in thinking that the actor has ginger hair there) and Richard Ayoade.  I think both of those could work as doctors.  As I obviously don't know enough about modern TV to know the who other suggestions are I won't make any of my own, but in addition to the two mentioned above, I'd quite like to see a female doctor.  Preferably somebody from Wales or N.I. as England and Scotland seem to have been represented quite enough by lead actors so far.

sheridan

Quote from: GordonR on 02 March, 2017, 07:22:01 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 02 March, 2017, 04:14:19 PM
Russell Tovey?

Yesterday's man.  RTD was touting him about 10 years ago as Tennant's replacement.

Wouldn't be the first time somebody previously in the running gets the top spot a regeneration down the line...

I think the real important thing is that with Matt Smith, David Tennant and Karen Gillan having careers post-Who, it won't put off people with established CVs already.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sheridan on 02 March, 2017, 07:29:02 PMI don't think I recognised any of the suggestions on this thread, apart from Rupert Grint [...] and Richard Ayoade.  I think both of those could work as doctors.
I've not really seen Grint's range. In Harry Potter, he's fine, but, well, it wouldn't be an inspiring choice. "The third best of the three leads in Harry Potter is now Doctor Who..." As for Richard Ayoade, he'd be Richard Ayoade. Not sure I could stomach that for an entire series. (I liked him in IT Crowd, but he basically plays that same persona even in panel shows and interviews.)

JLC

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 02 March, 2017, 07:01:44 PM
I think Peter Capaldi was unlucky to be saddled with Stephen Moffet's production and stories. The combination of the older doctor and increasingly ridiculous stories that made little sense had people turning off in droves.

I don't think the BBC can afford to take too much of a risk with the next doctor or the programme may be going on another hiatus.
Are the ratings that bad? It still seems to me that the show has a huge international fanbase. The problems seemed to begin almost immediately with Deep Breath making a big issue of the fact that The Doctor was older, as if Moffat was second guessing the audiences reaction to Capaldi. It made no sense in the context of Clara's character & they should have just not drawn attention to it. Then the series carried on with a totally inconsistent characterisation of The Doctor. The only good thing about the Capaldi era has been Missy.

Rately

Quote from: sheridan on 02 March, 2017, 07:29:02 PM
I'll miss the superb Capaldi, but wouldn't mind seeing Julian Rhind-Tutt or Richard Ayoade take the keys to the TARDIS.

Loved Capaldi in the role, and hoping that they continue the run of excellent actors in the role whether male or female!

They'll absolutely cast younger.  The Capaldii era has not overall been much of a ratings success, especially with younger age groups who made up a huge part of the Tennant and Smith eras.

Great actor, shame about the stories.  How could the person who wrote Blink do so badly as a show runner?  Let's hope Big Finish does better with post-TV Capaldi stories.

I don't think I recognised any of the suggestions on this thread, apart from Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley, right?  About time the doctor got his ginger hair - though I'm probably being naive in thinking that the actor has ginger hair there) and Richard Ayoade.  I think both of those could work as doctors.  As I obviously don't know enough about modern TV to know the who other suggestions are I won't make any of my own, but in addition to the two mentioned above, I'd quite like to see a female doctor.  Preferably somebody from Wales or N.I. as England and Scotland seem to have been represented quite enough by lead actors so far.

A Northern Irish Doctor? Count me in. mind you, dependant on whereabouts, the subtitles may well be needed for most viewers.

Ciaran hinds would do nicely, or even Conleth Hill. Not very merchandise friendly, too old, but bloody good actors.

Rately

Perhaps we don't really care that much anymore, but as every tabloid newspaper / news feed will remind you- there's currently a leading role vacancy in Dr. Who.

Any predictions or favorites in mind?

Be interesting to see how they cast, age-wise.

I'm assuming they'll cast younger.

Also, merchandising sales are in the toilet.

Do you think the international fanbases would ever influence the show runner and BBC into casting an American or European Doctor?

JamesC

I've been saying for years that Paul Kaye should do it. He's since carved out a niche for himself playing creepy weirdos in all sorts of things. He's probably too old now though and certainly not a Tennant style heart-throb.
Actually, the Russell Tovey suggestion has made me think of the guys who played Tom and Hal in the later series of Being Human. Both good looking young-ish blokes who can do weird and creepy with a bit of comic relief.

GordonR

Quote from: Rately on 02 March, 2017, 09:26:08 PM

Do you think the international fanbases would ever influence the show runner and BBC into casting an American or European Doctor?

The show's now partly funded by money that comes directily from BBC America.  I don't think we'll ever see an American Doc - part of its appeal to the huge number of American fans is its quirky Britishness - but BBC America will have a say in the choice of new Doctor.

Trust me, we're probably going to get a younger, Tennant-ish Doctor, to recapture the glory days when the show finally broke into the American market.  (Although it was Matt Smith who was the first Doc to make the cover of Entertainment Weekly.)

maryanddavid

The Capaldi episodes are the ones I'm am most familiar with, and they are enjoyable. The two older children who badgered me to watch it, said the Matt Smith Doctor was their favourite, and watching some, he has a certain presence, although it might be a bit annoying after a while.
Anyway, forgive my ignorance, but would it be possible for Matt Smith to come back and play the Doctor, presuming he even wanted to?

Mardroid

The Doctor hasn't yet regenerated into a previous incarnation, so I doubt it. That's not to say Matt Smith couldn't come back as the incarnation he actually played interacting with the current Doctor due to time travel related shenanigans as that's happened quite a bit before.

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 03 March, 2017, 01:40:20 AM
The Doctor hasn't yet regenerated into a previous incarnation, so I doubt it. That's not to say Matt Smith couldn't come back as the incarnation he actually played interacting with the current Doctor due to time travel related shenanigans as that's happened quite a bit before.

But one day he'll revisit old faces...

JLC

Quote from: GordonR on 02 March, 2017, 09:54:48 PM
Quote from: Rately on 02 March, 2017, 09:26:08 PM

The show's now partly funded by money that comes directily from BBC America.  I don't think we'll ever see an American Doc - part of its appeal to the huge number of American fans is its quirky Britishness - but BBC America will have a say in the choice of new Doctor.

Trust me, we're probably going to get a younger, Tennant-ish Doctor, to recapture the glory days when the show finally broke into the American market.  (Although it was Matt Smith who was the first Doc to make the cover of Entertainment Weekly.)
Moffat talked briefly about this at a recent Cambridge Union interview. Basically rulling out an American actor in the role as it is the britishness that overseas viewers are attracted to.

Hawkmumbler

I'm going to sound like a real millennial whinge bag here but, come on, let the next Doctor be a gal, or black, or fuck BOTH! 50 plus years of white dudes in the role, lets switch this shit up a bit.

JLC

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 March, 2017, 09:14:12 AM
I'm going to sound like a real millennial whinge bag here but, come on, let the next Doctor be a gal, or black, or fuck BOTH! 50 plus years of white dudes in the role, lets switch this shit up a bit.
Yes! Yes! Yes! 100% agree. The show has been back on telly for over a decade so it would not be a gimmick. The show really needs revitalising & if the new showrunner doesn't take the opportunity when will it happen?!?

In general there is a lack of representation in sic-fi of black & other ethnic minority groups as well as women (I apply this criticism to 2000AD as well) so someone needs to break the cycle of white blokes as The Doctor.