Main Menu

The 13th Doctor

Started by Link Prime, 02 March, 2017, 01:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Ethnicity doesn't bother me at all. In fact I'd quite like a sikh looking Doctor because their traditional clothes are really cool.
I'm not sure about the Doctor being a woman though. Something about that niggles. I think I'd prefer them to create a new strong female character rather than gender flipping The Doctor. A time-lady that kicks the Doctor into touch would be my choice - someone similar to Romana but preferably a new character. I'd like to see a woman who tackles problems in a different way to the Doctor and challenges the superiority complex he seems to have.

IndigoPrime

Given that the BBC can't usually bring itself to book more than one woman on a panel show, I can't imagine them okaying a woman as The Doctor.

TordelBack

They should see can they borrow Disney's CGI Cushing for a bit, bring the Daleks films into continuity as 13th Doctor adventures.  Bring back Bernard Cribbens again too.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 March, 2017, 11:19:27 AM
They should see can they borrow Disney's CGI Cushing for a bit, bring the Daleks films into continuity as 13th Doctor adventures.  Bring back Bernard Cribbens again too.
In relation to the EU novels, the Cushing movies ARE canon, all be it in a really, really convoluted way.

Prodigal2

Hayley Atwell for this and all other roles in tv and film.

JLC

Quote from: JamesC on 03 March, 2017, 09:50:20 AM
Ethnicity doesn't bother me at all. In fact I'd quite like a sikh looking Doctor because their traditional clothes are really cool.
I'm not sure about the Doctor being a woman though. Something about that niggles. I think I'd prefer them to create a new strong female character rather than gender flipping The Doctor. A time-lady that kicks the Doctor into touch would be my choice - someone similar to Romana but preferably a new character. I'd like to see a woman who tackles problems in a different way to the Doctor and challenges the superiority complex he seems to have.
I think we already have examples of strong female characters in Dr Who tbh. Just creating another one to me seems like a cowardly opt out.

JamesC

Quote from: JLC on 03 March, 2017, 01:09:43 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 03 March, 2017, 09:50:20 AM
I think we already have examples of strong female characters in Dr Who tbh. Just creating another one to me seems like a cowardly opt out.

Have we? We've seen characters that I think were supposed to be strong but I'm not sure we've seen any that are compelling, well written characters in their own right.

Satanist

I think if you're going to have a female lead now would be a good time as you can then play off against the fact that the Master did it first.

My choice that has remained the same for years now is Paterson Joseph.

Failing that Danny Dyer - "Exterminate? Fack off you mug!"
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

IndigoPrime

I wonder who the black actor was that's been referred to several times as being under consideration for – but having never got – the role. And, yeah, I'd happily see Paterson Joseph as The Doctor. Or Hayley Attwell, for that matter, as per the suggestion further up this thread. Quite a few of the other usual suspects don't really seem right to me, though, or don't excite me. Richard Madden, Richard Ayoade, Olivia Colman... I've enjoyed them at various times in many roles – especially Colman – but for The Doctor? Hmm.

I see Tony Head's all over the news, too, about this. No chance there, I imagine. (He'd make an interesting Master, though, if that role was switched up again. I'm sure we can all pretend School Reunion did not exist.)

TordelBack

Hayley Atwell would certainly guarantee my interest. 

But then I would have said Peter Capaldi would do that too (for subtly different reasons), but I couldn't hang on for more than half of his first season and haven't watched any for what seems like years now. 

JLC

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 March, 2017, 02:35:14 PM
I wonder who the black actor was that's been referred to several times as being under consideration for – but having never got – the role.

I think it was Adrian Lester. & I think he would be brilliant in the role.

& if they are wanting to go younger, offer it to Riz Ahmed!

TordelBack

Quote from: JLC on 03 March, 2017, 02:45:09 PM..if they are wanting to go younger, offer it to Riz Ahmed!

Oh that would be good: really like his stuff, he could definitely carry it off. He speaks a lot of sense too. But would he appeal to BBC America?  Perhaps more pertinently, I'm sure he has bigger fish to fry.

IndigoPrime

Chiwetel Ejiofor appears to be the other black actor who people reckoned turned down the role.

Rately

Quote from: Satanist on 03 March, 2017, 01:33:16 PM
I think if you're going to have a female lead now would be a good time as you can then play off against the fact that the Master did it first.

My choice that has remained the same for years now is Paterson Joseph.

Failing that Danny Dyer - "Exterminate? Fack off you mug!"

Would be a fantastic choice. Great actor.

Loved him, like Mark, since i first saw him in Peep Show.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 March, 2017, 07:55:06 PM
I've not really seen Grint's range. In Harry Potter, he's fine, but, well, it wouldn't be an inspiring choice. "The third best of the three leads in Harry Potter is now Doctor Who..."

T'wasn't a serious suggestion. His being late twenties and ginger, that was pretty much the extent of my thinking.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.