Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Here's the Midnight's Edge somewhat grim news about StarTrek Discovery. Looks like it's already in trouble.
https://youtu.be/Km5qVwZvjm8
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JLC

To be honest I'm not really that interested in the show, but weren't there a lot of delays & behind the scenes issues with Westworld? That turned out ok!

IAMTHESYSTEM

― Nikola Tesla

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

TordelBack

That's good news, loved his voice work in Rebels and the Potter connection has to bring in a few viewers.

Professor Bear

Call me old-fashioned if you will, but I consider it good form to have the captain in place before the ship starts sinking.

Tiplodocus

Did I read somewhere that the Captain is not the actual focus of the show this time? That seems like a reasonable idea - especially meaning a relatively in-demand/big name like JI can dip in and out of episodes as schedule demands.

Plus it might make for a few different stories to tell (so long as they don't just tell the same stories from a slightly different point of view).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

After last night's viewing of Voyager's Season 2 nadir  'Threshold', I'm prepared for anything.

(Although it has to be said that the whole family had great fun role-playing the script meeting. "And then the giant Paris and Janeway newts (that are humanity's evolutionary destiny because of Warp 10 being infinite velocity or something) mate and have little newts? And the Doctor just bombards all their cells with anti-protons and they turn back into their human selves no harm done and Janeway gives a little speech about how ace Tom is even when he isn't a sexually-desirable axolotl and roll end credits? Genius!'. Discovery has a long way to go to beat that for edgy socially-progressive teatime SF drama.

We particularly enjoyed the bit where halfway-house Paris pulls his own tongue out. It gave us hope, cruelly dashed.)

Professor Bear

Robert Duncan McNeil said of the episode "When I first read that script, I couldn't believe they were going to shoot it."  And Robert Duncan McNeil was in the Masters of the Universe movie - on purpose.

I picture the actual script meeting as going thusly:
Brannon Braga: "I have this great idea for a script - Tom Paris drives his space car too fast and it turns him into a walrus.  (blank and/or concerned stares)  I'M THE PRODUCER WE ARE DOING THIS AND HISTORY WILL BE MY JUDGE."

TordelBack

Heh! But then 'tonight's' episode, the very next one aired, is Brad Dourif's debut as Crewman/Ensign Suder in 'Meld', which is about as good as Star Trek gets. So there is always hope.

Magnetica

A few thoughts on what was said on that YouTube clip, noting they were stated as rumours and to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I really don't get why you would want to set the show between Enterprise and TOS. All that would do to my mind is limit what you can do for example in terms of what aliens can be in it. Enterprise suffered from that, for instance you couldn't have the Borg, until they shoe horned them in anyway. It also limits what you can do with the wider political environment e.g. The relationship between Earth and the Vulcans, Romulans and Klingons.

I can totally understand the wish to have the coolest hi tech ships etc. That had always been a big part of Star Trek for me and hence was something I found lacking in Enterprise. (And yes I know it gives scope for drama e.g. going into battle with rubbishy shields). But you can't have that if you set the show in that period so that's one reason to start messing with the timeline. But that in itself is in my opinion a really bad idea and just ties the whole thing in knots before it has even started.

I don't understand why you wouldn't just set it after TNG and give yourself a free hand. Other than confusion with the current film series I guess. But the road they are reportedly going down suffers from that even more so.

Anyway as I said that's all based on rumours so hopefully they are not true.

Personally I would like nothing better than a new Star Trek TV show so let's hope it happens.

Mardroid

There's still plenty of unknown stuff in that time period though. As long as they keep the series finite in length ( i.e one or two series before dealing with another time period in another show) they should have enough scope to play with. This is the early days of the formation of the Federation so I'd imagine there could be a lot of political and negotiation stuff going on. They may still be dealing with the aftermath of the Earth/Romulan war too, which I believe happened between the Enterprise and Star Trek time periods. (Sigh. Why did they have to cancel Enterprise early? It would likely have dealt with that war....)

The lower tech doesn't bother me, but then I enjoyed Enterprise.

Magnetica

Yes good points but I don't see why you would make a series that could only last 2 seasons. For example DS9 was only getting good at that point and the later series were by far the best.

Another thing about the tech in Enterpride was  it had to look noughties not 60s but be less advanced than TOS. I guess it did that but it did require a bit of suspension of disbelief. But hey you are always going to get that with tech e.g. Tablets in TOS not a patch on an iPad etc. But on the other hand it is actually remarkable they even thought of a tablet in the 60s plus speech recognition plus data crystals (USB memory sticks).

JLC

So this is going to be another prequel series. Why FFS?

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: JLC on 11 March, 2017, 10:35:45 AM
So this is going to be another prequel series. Why FFS?

Apparently, it's set about 10 years before Kirk and the Enterprise crew went boldly. As for why- greed to make more money! Some of the stories I think will concern a conflict between the Crew and the Captain played by Jeremy Isaacs who although portrayed as charismatic might turn out to be either a coward or an overzealous pro-humanist. [i:e racist] Liberal attitudes will of course eventually triumph since Star Trek tends to be seen as a standard bearer for social equality and the P.O.V character is a black Female [Number One].That sets the stage for confrontation on board the Discovery reflecting Hollywoods concerns about what's happening in America right now.

― Nikola Tesla