Main Menu

Prog 2021 - Weapon of Master Destruction!

Started by Richard, 04 March, 2017, 01:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 March, 2017, 11:59:06 AMI hadn't realised just how ubiquitous Dan Abnett is at the moment - 2 in the priog and one in the Meg

(Don'tmakeaShockerjoke, don'tmakeaShockerjoke)

Rackle

Quote from: sheridan on 06 March, 2017, 08:40:36 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 March, 2017, 11:59:06 AMI hadn't realised just how ubiquitous Dan Abnett is at the moment - 2 in the priog and one in the Meg

(Don'tmakeaShockerjoke, don'tmakeaShockerjoke)

FutureShocker, surely?  :lol:

judgerufian

Having subbed for at least 4 years after the fanastic stateside comics in central london closed, ive always had the prog on a saturday while living in london. I moved to the isle of wight in july last year and the great service continues with a saturday delivery 95% of the time. Have to say its a better service than Amazon who cant seem to get prime deliveries to me next day anymore since i moved!
Great prog this week though i do have a niggle, namely Sinister Dexter. The reboot/rebirth/retcon is doing nothing for me, the strip is just a little tired after what, 23years?(!) yep, first published in 1995! Blimey youd have thought their shooting at goons, diving through hails of gunfire without a scratch and dull personalties would be wearing thin by now. Especially when Kingdom and Lawless is so good by comparison, kill em off and concentrate on the new stuff, because Mr Abnett, its what youre doing so damn well!

judgerufian

Oh and in this weeks Dredd is best 2000ad line this year so far - outta the way fats, youre obstructing the law! :lol: :lol:

user2000

Quote from: JUDGE BURNS on 06 March, 2017, 07:31:34 PM
My postal delivery is the worst , some weeks my prog can arrive from a tuesday to a Friday when it used to be the Saturday previous. Its the same with the Megazine. they never seem to arrive on time together now.  I'm in Ayrshire and have contacted the royal mail with no success.

Yep, as I'm sure you've realised I am also Ayrshire, and as we have discussed on other threads the problem is the Kilmarnock sub sorting office by the looks of it.

It is strange, the only thing that comes like clockwork now (magazine wise) is my boys "The Week Junior" - should be here on a Friday, is always here on the Friday, 1st class.

Also The Phoenix, used to be here on the Friday, now it comes on the Monday, 1st class (although maybe they are cost cutting a bit more as I have noticed some of their pre paid printed envelopes carry the 2nd class "stamp").

All these are "proper" Royal Mail as well, not TNT or whatever that is handled by another company first and then passed to the Royal Mail - it's been made clear to me by a couple of postie pals that the RM stuff is handled first then all the other feeder couriers are second fiddle.

But it would appear that when passing through either Glasgow, or more likely Kilmarnock, if you are not an ordinary letter then you are put to the bottom of the heap anyway.

Wish I had bought a share or two at the time and I would make more of a song and dance about it.

Anyway, the prog arrived today, Tuesday again, and I am working from home so I'll be able to fit in a quick look.  Unlike when I used to look forward to it coming on the Saturday as I didn't have much on and could enjoy it that little bit more over the weekend.

Proudhuff

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 05 March, 2017, 10:49:54 PM

Bent over and left in the letterbox, half sticking out. Every week. Without fail.

You're having an affair with the postie aren't you?  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

What can I say? The first time ages I've skippity skipped most of the prog, sigh.

Dredd and kingdom still ticking all my boxes but everything inbetween just leaves me cold and I CBA following the endless worm/robot wars, Sindex has left me cold years ago, and the Avatar/Lord of the Rings thing rubs me up the wrong way...
roll on Scarlet Traces  :D
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 07 March, 2017, 01:45:50 PM
What can I say? The first time ages I've skippity skipped most of the prog, sigh.

Dredd and kingdom still ticking all my boxes but everything inbetween just leaves me cold and I CBA following the endless worm/robot wars, Sindex has left me cold years ago, and the Avatar/Lord of the Rings thing rubs me up the wrong way...
roll on Scarlet Traces  :D

And to think I used to respect you!

sheridan

Sinister Dexter has been ho-hum for me for much of the last ten year's worth (really not interested in the continuing adventures of Moses) but I did like this episode (and the two-parter previously).  I'm hoping it will continue with the making-themselves-at-home without continuity shenanigans.

Richard

Sinister Dexter is always at it's best with one- or two-episode stories instead of massive epics.

Frank

1159 featured variant covers. According to Barney: "Not enough (Homeworld) CD-ROMs were produced, so an alternative edition featuring a Mazeworld cover by Arthur Ranson but without the free gift was also printed"

Thanks to Mark Everton.

Frank

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 07 March, 2017, 11:21:24 PM

Sorry. Posted on the wrong thread.

I did wonder - first I'd heard of that though (I got the Homeworld disc, though didn't have a computer to play it at the time).  Not Arthur's usual style there.

TordelBack

Close inspection of the, um, splash page reveals Albert Mipps has been feeding in southern waters, probably came up with the Gulf Stream...

Loved the Dredd, a neat and tidy two-parter that perfectly evokes the street-level crazy I enjoy (and miss).

And as for the rest WHAT A PROG, not a page that isn't vibrating with high-energy thrills.  Colin is dead right, Dan Abnett just owns this whole week: a meticulously crafted Sinister Dexter that encapsulates everything that makes that strip special - extracting real pathos from what should be just a throwaway action/gag story built around oblivious and unchanging idiots; and in Kingdom a towering masterpiece of plot convergence exploding in a shower of re-severed limbs and this reader's non-metaphorical air-punching. 

Kingmaker, long battering at the dyke of my misgivings, finally breaks through and inundates the fertile polders of my affections. Who'd have thought it would be imagining elves as ants that did it.  Lovely stuff.

And The Order, I suppose Jaeger v. Kaiju action was the one thing I didn't realise this strip was lacking.  No longer!  More! MORE! MORE!   

Tiplodocus

Very much this.  Dredd, Kingdom, Kingmaker, Sin-Dex all great stuff.  Oh and I love that cover - really gives you a sense of what a brute Gene is.  You can understand why THEM wouldn't stand a chance when he gets whetter and whet.

I've taken a bit more time on The Order recently - I can understand the criticism of it not being immediately clear - and I find that the extra investment pays off in spades.  It still reads  (and looks*) like a strip from forty years ago - but a good one!

* Marvellous as Burns' art is, I've never been a fan of his creature and tech design work.  Some things in Dante that should have been epic, looked a bit "Meh!"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!