Main Menu

Any group of assassins/mercenaries in the Dredd-verse?

Started by Sandman1, 09 March, 2017, 04:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Steve Green on 09 March, 2017, 09:22:55 PM
It would have been interesting to do them as the Morlock Zoidberg versions. I guess semi-human would have been even more disturbing - I think it's the lobster claws that kills the design for me.

That scene in their debut story where they accept a (literal) suitcase of bank notes from a gangster in advance payment is rendered fairly ludicrous by those lobster claws - how on earth could they hope to spend a cred of it (much less get the suitcase open on their own!)
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

I seem to remember Frank Quitely drew some very different Gila Munja in Missionary Man, with very few human characteristics.  Also, which story introduced the Gila Bruja?  I thought they came from Missionary Man too.

Going back to the OP's question, there's also Dave Stone's Brit Cit organisation who sends out a sexy redhead in bondage gear to kill people.  I can't remember if they're secret Justice Dept ops or not, but they're very much part of Armitage's world.  They may be called Wetworks (at least that was the name of the novel that featured them; I never read it. Wish I had, though - Dave Stone's other Dredd novel was great.).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Sandman1

So the Dredd-verse doesn't have a group of professional killers that only includes "normal" people, like something that resembles the League of Assassins? 
Error...

The Adventurer

Did Stan Lee work for anyone? Surely Hando is up to its eyeballs in Assassin guilds.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 March, 2017, 03:45:20 PM
Did Stan Lee work for anyone? Surely Hando is up to its eyeballs in Assassin guilds.
The highest bidder.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: Sandman1 on 11 March, 2017, 03:28:54 PM
So the Dredd-verse doesn't have a group of professional killers that only includes "normal" people, like something that resembles the League of Assassins? 

I'd been meaning to create a dedicated thread posing a similar question, but since you ask.

Trifecta, written in part by Rob Williams, featured Invisible Ninjas, dressed in black gimp suits, with red eyes and wielding katanas. Said Invisible Ninjae resurfaced in Williams' recent Act Of Grud (now apparently under the direction of Smiley).

Michael Carroll's Blood Of Emeralds kicked off with Joyce being targetted for assassination by a private hire contract killer called Stonefish - an Invisible Ninja wearing a black gimp suit, with red eyes and carrying katana.

Michael Carroll's most recent Dredd story, Deep In The Heart featured a former Sector Zero operative ("which one were you, Hunsacker, Gaudiano?") with Ninja skills, dressed in a black gimp suit, and throwing shapes with the old katana.

So, are these Ninjas - with their black gimp suits, red eyes, katana, and varying degrees of visibility - despite appearing in apparently unrelated stories by different writers, part of a single organisation? Was Stonefish (who had his memory professionally wiped) actually one of the missing Sector Zero operatives (Hunsacker or Gaudiano) mentioned by Brass?

Were the members of Sector Zero's Invisible Ninja Academy and Trifecta's Invisible Ninjas under the impression they were different organisations with different aims, while acting as unwitting agents of a wider grouping? Are Williams and Carroll quietly cooperating in the creation of TordelBack's globe spanning coup?

Smith

Frank

Quote from: Frank on 11 March, 2017, 05:41:29 PM
Are Williams and Carroll quietly cooperating in the creation of TordelBack's globe spanning coup?

At the time, I remember thinking Williams (apparently) quoting the title of Carroll and Sexton's Sector Zero story (1963-1968) in Act Of Grud (Williams & Flint, 2004-2006), was a little too on the nose to be more than coincidence. Now, I'm not so sure:

Sandman1

Quote from: Frank on 11 March, 2017, 05:41:29 PMTrifecta, written in part by Rob Williams, featured Invisible Ninjas, dressed in black gimp suits, with red eyes and wielding katanas. Said Invisible Ninjae resurfaced in Williams' recent Act Of Grud (now apparently under the direction of Smiley).

Michael Carroll's Blood Of Emeralds kicked off with Joyce being targetted for assassination by a private hire contract killer called Stonefish - an Invisible Ninja wearing a black gimp suit, with red eyes and carrying katana.

Michael Carroll's most recent Dredd story, Deep In The Heart featured a former Sector Zero operative ("which one were you, Hunsacker, Gaudiano?") with Ninja skills, dressed in a black gimp suit, and throwing shapes with the old katana.

Hmm, seems to be the group I've been looking for. Will need to read some of those stories and hopefully get a little more perspicuous picture of their motives and abilities. Nevertheless, thanks for the tips!
Error...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Sandman1 on 11 March, 2017, 03:28:54 PM

MOB BLITZERS!
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

Low Life had a storyline set at a hitman convention in MC1, although by the end of it all of them had either been killed or arrested, hence leaving room for all those invisible ninjas to swoop in I guess!

What about the Ex-Men? Hard-luck cases who have either been coerced or volunteered into being suicude assassins who stand next to the targets and then blow up. I can see one of them managing to get close to a high-ranking person, since they could easily be an insider forced into a bad position by mob bosses.

Sandman1

Error...

ming

Quote from: norton canes on 10 March, 2017, 03:20:36 PM
Can't find any images online but Ron Smith had a pretty good take on Cooper's version of the Gila Munja in 'The Hotdog Run', didn't he?

Prog 235:

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws