Main Menu

Buffy - a confession

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 12 March, 2017, 11:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 12 March, 2017, 01:53:58 PM
I generally enjoyed it but they should have left it after[spoiler] she died. (the first time).[/spoiler]

I'm assuming you don't mean the time she [spoiler]drowned at the hands of the Master..[/spoiler]. Cos that'd be a very short series.

If you mean [spoiler]The Gift[/spoiler], then good grief no!  What follows from that event are some of the best moments in TV history, not least Once More With Feeling, which has a good claim on Greatest Single Episode of Anything Ever.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richard on 12 March, 2017, 04:21:49 PMIf you only try one series, you could actually start with 3, as it's still easy to pick up who everyone is.
But then you'd miss s2, which would be much wrongness.

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 March, 2017, 04:38:24 PMIf you mean [spoiler]The Gift[/spoiler], then good grief no!  What follows from that event are some of the best moments in TV history, not least Once More With Feeling, which has a good claim on Greatest Single Episode of Anything Ever.
Season six: some great moments, but, man, so much to trudge through. (And [spoiler]killing Tara also annoyed me[/spoiler], given that it was a bit 'move the chess pieces', even if the reasons why made sense, such as [spoiler]actually having someone shot rather than eaten[/spoiler].)

moly

Loved this show when it first aired, it did have some middling episode but most of it was great, almost brought the box set in hmv yesterday for £40

Michael Knight

JBC I have a confession of my own to make. Whilst I was a big fan of Buffy I have never seen a single episode of that other 'cult' classic Twin peaks. I feel I'm missing out from what ive heard. 

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks everyone! I definitely will put it on my watch list.  Michael, i only watched Twin Peaks a few years ago. But please, watch it too. It's only two seasons long (or 'series' as we old folk used to call them).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

dweezil2

I think I watched a couple of Buffy episodes and never bothered after that.
To be fair, I was well into my "serious" phase of TV Sci-Fi, where it was all about Babylon 5 so that's probably why I didn't continue with it.

Still, I never watched the X-Files either, so what do I know?  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

moly

Babaylon 5 loved that show but would probably be very dated now

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 March, 2017, 07:07:14 PM
Thanks everyone! I definitely will put it on my watch list.  Michael, i only watched Twin Peaks a few years ago. But please, watch it too. It's only two seasons long (or 'series' as we old folk used to call them).

In this country we still call them series (and I think they always called them seasons in the US).  I've still not seen all of Twin Peaks (there'll probably be three series by the time I get around to it!)

sheridan

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 March, 2017, 08:19:10 PM
I think I watched a couple of Buffy episodes and never bothered after that.
To be fair, I was well into my "serious" phase of TV Sci-Fi, where it was all about Babylon 5 so that's probably why I didn't continue with it.

I've not seen Babylon 5 (except for one episode, written by Neil Gaiman and with Penn and Teller in - which I've seen twice, randomly, on TV).

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 March, 2017, 11:52:16 AM
I had similar thoughts on Buffy as you did. I have watched it and one episode in particular I remember being particularly good. There was these silent beasties who maybe had their mouths sown up or some such. Don't remember much about.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread:
a) Whedon is well-regarded for writing dialogue between characters
b) the episode you refer to, Hush, doesn't feature any dialogue (for the most part)

Certainly a way to confound expectations!

Satanist

I watched both Buffy and Twin Peaks well after they had ended. Buffy is great and not what I expected at all but its Twin Peaks that blew me away, well ahead of its time.

I really liked the Trio in Buffy and it goes to some dark places, Hush is probably one of my favourite episodes of anything ever.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 March, 2017, 04:42:45 PM
Season six: some great moments, but, man, so much to trudge through. (And [spoiler]killing Tara also annoyed me[/spoiler], given that it was a bit 'move the chess pieces', even if the reasons why made sense, such as [spoiler]actually having someone shot rather than eaten[/spoiler].)

Season 6 is uneven alright, but the intertwining concepts were (at the time at least) hugely ambitious and largely successfully executed: [spoiler]sub in these nerdy wannabes as the 'big bad' and have everyone moan about how they are no Master/Angel/Mayor/Adam/Glory, then after their inevitable defeat pull the rug out completely and reveal the real threat; combine that with all the gang's other illusions and self-deceptions that are stripped away in rapid succession (Buffy's rescue from 'Hell'; the banal reality of gun violence intruding into cosy teen fantasy; self-deception in Xander and Anja's relationship; coercion in Willow and Tara's; abuse in Buffy and Spike's), [/spoiler]all pivoting around the greatest musical episode ever written.  It's not a perfect Season, but it's very bravely different and there's just so much going on and it all meshes together: as a whole it's an extraordinary creation. 

"All those secrets
You've been concealing
Say you're happy now,
Once more with feeling"

TV doesn't get much better than that.

I'd argue that Season 5 is generally weaker than 6, with the Glory and Ben stuff being a bit repetitive, but it also includes probably the most powerfully executed episode of any genre show in 'The Body'.  In fact if there's been a truer scene on TV than Willow trying to pick an outfit, I haven't seen it