Main Menu

How do you like your Finnigan Sinister?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 12 March, 2017, 07:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Because even individual artists draw him differently from one story to the next. I think I'd go with Simon Davis' original version- white skin, red nose, long, straight and wild hair, leather trenchcoat with biker jacket zips.

Never had much time for the short-haired , normal-skinned, Brad Pitt -cheekboned bomber-jacketed Finny he later became (although i do like the fact that unlike most comic characters he's allowed to change his clothes and hairstyle).

The fecker's had more image changes than Purity Brown.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 March, 2017, 07:28:48 PM
Never had much time for the short-haired , normal-skinned, Brad Pitt -cheekboned bomber-jacketed Finny he later became (although i do like the fact that unlike most comic characters he's allowed to change his clothes and hairstyle).

Yeah I like the fact that he changes style as he ages, makes sense and don't really feel one is better than another... except.

The old look, with the long coat, long hair and mini shotgun on a chain gave him a very defined and distinct silohouette that really worked. So from a character point of view think the changes really work and make sense. From a design point of view makes him a little bland?

Smith

Greg M.

For some reason, I prefer the better-looking Greg Staples-y version. The Simon Davis one is almost too grotesque - I like the contrast between Sinister being aesthetically-pleasing but morally bankrupt. This is odd, because normally I'd prefer a more horrible and distinctive-looking lead character - it may be because I didn't like Sinister / Dexter much to begin with, but by the time I came round, Sinister looked more 'normal'.

ZenArcade

How do you like your Finnegan Sinister.

Dropped from the prog. Z  :-\
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Greg M. on 12 March, 2017, 07:41:29 PM
I like the contrast between Sinister being aesthetically-pleasing but morally bankrupt.

The way I see it, that's Dexter's job.  I like that Simon Davis makes him look like a man who drinks a wee bit too much Guinness and smokes way more fags than he should.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Full-on Davis clown makeup, John Lennon sunglasses and red gloves, contrasting nicely with all the pale-blue women; or the Coleby version.  Never really been comfortable with Finny looking like a regular dude: he should look like a Simon Harrison character, but with realistic anatomy and proportions.

sheridan

Alone.

As in "I'm alone" ;)

(just kidding - I'm liking the post-Moses stories now running).

AlexF

Simon Davis for me all the way, but with a huge nod to Coleby's verison of Sinister as a normal but gruff-looking Malone, plagues by visions of himself as an uberclown.

I'd also single out Paul Johnson as the best of the not-Davis artists to draw Sinister in the Davis mould.
And you know, David Millgate's original version with the lank hair and the little round sunglasses set the whole thing up pretty well.

Link Prime

Any version works for me, it's great that the series has had such a huge stable of artists & styles over the years.

That said, I'd love to see more from Patrick Goddard and Mark Sexton.

Magnetica

I like Simon Davis' version. That sort of non-clean cut / dishevelled look for him.

Theblazeuk

JayzusB.Christ

Hmmm... there's definitely something about that last one I like  ;)

Though to be honest, I preferred the Davis Finny when he had straight hair.  That was  kind of the version I went with on my Paddy's Day window painting on another thread.

I miss the old-skool Davis versions of SinDex.