Main Menu

Anyone collect 2000ad action figures?

Started by marko10174, 13 March, 2017, 09:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

I would love a good Judge Dredd action figure, but Jesus they are so expensive. I mean we're talking seventy pounds plus. I got a cool Judge death action figure (from the original run) for fifteen pounds the other day. Some of the new dark judges action figure look awesome as well, but I am a bit reluctant to fork out sixty quid for a figure. The Sam Slade figure looks awesome as well, but I haven't read any of the Robohunter stories yet, are they worth checking out?

Tony Angelino

I loved Robo Hunter but am a child of the 70's and read them when they first appeared. I know a lot of the people on the forum have a bit of an issue with some of the stories but I will always have a soft spot for them.

The first two stories, Verdus and Day of the Droids, are the best and I think they gradually became a bit too comical. Also avoid any of the ones not drawn by Ian Gibson.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: marko10174 on 13 March, 2017, 09:29:13 PM
The Sam Slade figure looks awesome as well, but I haven't read any of the Robohunter stories yet, are they worth checking out?

Yes in short. I have to be honest its a series that has its ups and downs and for me is at its strongest during the shorter stories set in Brit Cit, which alas straddle the two Droid Files volumes but the best stuff (well aside from Farewell My Billions and Peter Hogan and Rian Hughes' Metrobolis) is in Volume 1.

marko10174

I've heard mixed things about Robo hunter. Because I don't have that nostalgic tie to it, I wonder if I would enjoy the character or not? I may have to try the first Robo hunter droid file.

Rogue Judge

I read Robo Hunter for the first time this past year - It is a lot of fun but not my favorite. The story "Verdus" is great fun as he travels to a planet that was meant to be terraformed but robots take over (he is accompanied by Kidd who is de-aged into a talking baby and his cigar Smokin Joe...). I also have The Day of the Droids but have not read it yet. From what I hear from some people here Verdus and The Day of the Droids are the only Robo Hunter stories worth reading (and both collected in Doid file #1 and also collected in Robo-Hunter Casebooks 1-4).

Also, if you want to discuss more about the action figures, there is a great thead here where people post updates, their purchases, customs etc: http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=26850.3315

marko10174

I might  purchase the first droid file later in the week, thanks for the input. I had a look at that thread, some of the figures are just amazing, but think how many 2000ad graphic novels you could buy for the price of one figure!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I am keen on the little Tharg that was at the 40th. It was the size of a Star Wars figure from the 80s.
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 14 March, 2017, 09:39:22 PM
I am keen on the little Tharg that was at the 40th. It was the size of a Star Wars figure from the 80s.

Hang about, what? 3 3/4" Tharg? I"d be on that like mynocks on a power cable.

The Enigmatic Dr X

June, so said Ashley from behind the counter.

(And about £60!)
Lock up your spoons!

SIP

It would appear from the "discussions" going on in the 3a thread that you may want to pick up the figures that are already available while you can as this now appears to be a line with a potentially limited future.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

SIP

Mikey

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 March, 2017, 09:48:17 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 14 March, 2017, 09:39:22 PM

Hang about, what? 3 3/4" Tharg? I"d be on that like mynocks on a power cable.

Not quite - it'll be 1/12 scale, so would be in and around 6". The proto has flowing Mohawk locks too, not moulded!
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

Thank Grud for that.  A 3 3/4" inch (1:25?) range of 2000AD figures would be irresistible, and probably the doom of my marriage.  I'm doing my level best to channel my hunger into Big (1:6) and Small (1:72). That way I can simulate any in-between scale by careful application of trompe l'oeil (aka the Fr. Dougal method).

Andy Lambert

I've just bought and received the 1/12th figures of Judges Dredd, Fear and Mortis with Death on his way - all beautifully detailed and nicely articulated.

However, I do have a complaint...

I've only received these figures today, and I wanted to swap some of the hands that came with the figures. So far,  with Dredd, the ball/stick part come out of the wrist and is stuck in Dredd's hand, and with Mortis, the ball/stick has snapped off, leaving a piece of it in his wrist. At £65 each, I'm a bit pissed off, especially as they're barely out of the packaging - shame, as otherwise, they're excellent figures.

Anyone else had this problem?