Main Menu

2000ad Graphic novels I've purchased this year (I've gone a bit nuts)

Started by marko10174, 13 March, 2017, 10:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

I briefly read 2000ad as a kid. I found my old progs in my mothers attic (which I was thrilled about) they were progs 919 to 965, that covered late December 94 to November 95. They also contained the classic 2000ad issue of September 95 which featured Judge Dredd "America" that story has always stayed with me, it left such an impact on me as a thirteen year old. Anyway, the affair ended in 95 and I have only just rediscovered 2000ad at the beginning of this year. So I am buying each new issue, and have purchased quite a few of the older progs to get me up to date with some of the newer stories. But I wanted to familiarise myself with some of the 2000ad history by buying some of the graphic novels people have recommended on here. Well... it's caused a bit of an addiction. I can't believe how much money I have spent in these last few months but it has been worth it. So here is a list of all the GN's I have so far purchased.

Button man- The first three novels.
Necronauts.
Indigo Prime- killing time.
Stone Island.
Strontium dog- files 1 to 4 and the final sollution.
Rogue trooper- first volume.
Mega city under cover- volume 1
Slaine- warriors dawn
Skizz
Durham Red- Scantos trilogy
Stickle back- first to novels
Kingdom- first two novels
Leviathan- (waiting for it to arrive in post)
Rain dogs
Judge Dredd- case files 1,2,3,5,6,8,14 and GN's Total war, Origins, Democracy now, day of chaos trilogy.
Young Death

Er... I'll probably be getting more in the next few weeks.

Tony Angelino

Someone on this site recommended Leviathan to me when I got back in to 2000AD. Its a great read and you should enjoy it. 

It'll probably be worth your while looking out for the new Hachette partwork collection.

Rogue Judge

Great list you got there marko! I have acquired a similar amount of 2000AD trades this past year as well (Case Files 1-21, Rogue volumes, 10 Stronty volumes, ABC warriors, Button man etc...). Its 40 years worth of never-ending zarjaz to catch up on!

Kingdom Aux Drift (vol.3) just came out this month so if you enjoyed the fist two you might want to get that as well (I ordered it last week). I also recommend Jaegir as a must read (I recently read and recommend ABC Warriors the Meknificent Seven and the Volgan War series if you have a few extra quid to spend this month).

If you are looking for more recommendations, everyone here has been very helpful suggesting the best of the best. Read through these two threads and you will have a good idea of what people reccomend the most:
http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=43570.0
http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=44096.0

Smith

Im not a big fan of Stickleback,but otherwise,solid choices.
You need Zenith.Its really a must have.

marko10174

Rogue Judge, I'm very impressed with your purchases this year, 21 JD Case files! you're nearly caught up with the full run that's out so far. I checked out the links you gave for the recommendations, they should definitely keep me going for quite a while, like you said, forty years of catching up to do, but it'll be fun. Do you have a particular favourite graphic novel? I'm up to date with kingdom, I bought the progs with the seasons that haven't been released in graphic novel format yet. I've not read the latest series yet, I'm waiting for it to end so I can read it back to back.

I wasn't blown away by stickleback, it just seemed a bit too out there for me. Can't wait to read Leviathan though, heard so many great things about it.

Hey Eamonn, that sounds quite exciting, I would like to come on your podcast and review Button man if that's ok?

Eamonn Clarke

Sadly a chap called Pete Wells bribed me with a steak pasty and beat you to Button Man.
You can find a complete listing of my episodes so far and the rather extensive book list of picks for future episodes here:
https://www.facebook.com/Megacitybookclub/posts/853740658088269

If you don't do Facebook I can paste the list in here.

From your list the ones that haven't been picked yet are:

Necronauts.
Stone Island.
Mega city under cover- volume 1
Slaine- warriors dawn
Skizz
Durham Red- Scantos trilogy
Kingdom- first two novels
Leviathan- (waiting for it to arrive in post)
Rain dogs
Judge Dredd- Total war, Origins, Democracy now, day of chaos trilogy.
Young Death

Fair warning though, and it sounds ridiculous I know, but I'm booked up with recordings for 2017 so this would probably be for early 2018  :o

marko10174

Oh wow, you're pod cast must be pretty popular. Where can I listen to it? Well, I'd be game to review Young death early next year. I love that graphic novel!

Rogue Judge

Quote from: marko10174 on 14 March, 2017, 11:06:54 PM

Oh wow, you're pod cast must be pretty popular. Where can I listen to it? Well, I'd be game to review Young death early next year. I love that graphic novel!

It is a great podcast, I have only just started listening to it myself. This thread is devoted to the podcast: http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=43340.0

Eamonn Clarke

All the details at
www.megacitybookclub.com

I've put you on the list to review Young Death with me next year

Dandontdare

That's quite a list Marko - I'd add a couple more Dredd GNs: The Pit (A very nuts'n'bolts police procedural with a large cast of supporting characters) and Brothers of the Blood (stories about Dredd's 'family', mainly Vienna and Rico); plus every bookshelf should hold a copy of The Complete Halo Jones!

Andy Lambert

I've been going a bit nuts myself, trying to catch up with old favourites and discover some new (to me) thrills.

Recent purchases by me include:

Meltdown Man
Glimmer Rats
Zombo Vols 1 & 2
Robusters Complete Nuts & Bolts 1
Dan Dare Vol 2
Age Of The Wolf
Strontium Dog Vols 2 & 3
Anderson PSI Division Vols 1 & 2
Blackhawk
Zenith Vols 1-4
Rogue Trooper Vol 3

I really need to catch up on my Dredds, as I'm only up to Vol 12, but there's so many other books demanding my attention..! I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about regarding Zenith, and I'm also looking forward to the forthcoming Journal Of Luke Kirby - another one I missed first time round.
I want to get hold of Leviathan at some point, but I see you've got a copy of Stone Island - I love that! Proper, gruesome horror!

Smith

The Pit is also collected in Case Files 24 and 25.
I have recommended it a few time already,but it bears repeating.Tales of Telguuth,anyone?
My recent aquisition was Tales from Beyond Science.

marko10174

Thanks Eamonn, sounds good. I'll have to start listening to your pod casts.

I really want to read "the pit" and especially "brothers of the blood" but it is so expensive on Amazon and ebay. Yeah Stone island was pretty gruesome, I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading Leviathan tonight. I remember read Luke Kirby in 1995, I see the whole collection is coming out this year, I may have to purchase it for nostalgic purposes.

Dandontdare

I didn't realise that the casefiles had finally caught up to the "black'n'red" series of GNs. If you're colecting those, ithen The Pit sits well within the omgoimg continuity as it's quite pivotal, but I often recommend it as a great self contained 'Dredd-as-cop' book