Main Menu

2000ad Graphic novels I've purchased this year (I've gone a bit nuts)

Started by marko10174, 13 March, 2017, 10:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryworld

that's an impressive collection of shelves Edazzling! and it's great to see both Marko and RogueJudge catching up on all the stories in the TPBs.
I haven't really bought any graphic novels (with the exception of cherry picking mega collection volumes).
but i HAVE bought all of these in the last 6 months :)
when you want your thrill power pure, original progs are the only way to go.

Rogue Judge

Dash Decent - Thanks for the recommendation, I have used the webshop once so far (to order the Volgan War) and was very pleased with the condition of the book when it arrived and excellent customer service. I will take your advice and and buy specials/one offs etc. I still want to get my hands on prog 2000 and the 40th...

Marko - Yeah its a shame the progs are tough to get here (could be Diamonds fault not sure, but I know my comic store has a few problems with them), so I will have to go online as Dash suggests!

terryworld - Amazing collection of progs you have there! How many are you at and how far back are you planning to go? Back issues are impossible to find here too, so I may give ebay a shot one day and get some progs to read and hang on the wall.

terryworld

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 23 March, 2017, 05:34:07 AM

terryworld - Amazing collection of progs you have there! How many are you at and how far back are you planning to go? Back issues are impossible to find here too, so I may give ebay a shot one day and get some progs to read and hang on the wall.

i think i need 209 progs to get the full set and around 100 megs. then i've got the lot (minus a few annuals/specials - but i'm close with those too)
it all started when i found prog 1 on ebay last august at a decent price and grabbed it. i SWORE i would not try for a full set.... but then i found a HUGE lot going VERY cheap - was lucky i guess. been slowly picking up bulk lots since (and have 100s of spares).
i'm in Oz so there aren't as many chances as i see in the uk on ebay or the various facebook groups to pick up the originals at a good price. but patience and perserverence will get you there!
what i love about the original progs is the damn SIZE of them - i'm not so keen on the rebellion TPBs due to the reduced size. growing up in the 70s/80s, i always loved that the 2000ADs i read seemed SO much bigger than marvel/dc. it really highlights the art. and theres something unexplainable about the FEEL of the originals... the paper is SHIT... but... the ink rubbing off on your fingers and (don't think i'm a weirdo) the SMELL of the originals... it's a weird sensory thing. you just don't get that from reprints.
keep going with the discovery of thrills via TPBs rogue. but if you get a chance to grab some old school progs do it! they're especially awesome with the old "nerve centres" where tharg tells us earthlets how lucky we are :)

Smith

Heh,I never really thought about it,but I guess you dont really meet Tharg if you just follow the collections. :)

Trooper McFad

Some good collections posted and impressed with the amount that some posters have purchased in the last year!!
I'm a slow and Steady man with about 4/5 GNs a year as I don't have the space for the progs. I do have to agree though about the "smell" of the originals. I recently got a few special to me progs and when I read them  the 80s came flooding back :).
They're now in frames but might have to take them out for a wee sniff now and again :lol:

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Rogue Judge

Terryworld - I agree that there is something special about collecting the originals. I am this way with some other American titles I collect; for example I have Uncanny X-men from issue #94 onwards (and nearly a complete Daredevil run, and others) and I really appreciate holding the book in my hands, seeing the old advertisements, reading the letters pages and Stans Soapbox etc. And as odd as it sounds, the smell does play a part in the enjoyment of the comics, I'm definitely guilty of sniffing my old books when no one is around! :lol: I'd wager that most people here would agree to this guilty pleasure...