Main Menu

20 years ago this week: Bill Savage vs the EU!

Started by DarkDaysBish-OP, 14 March, 2017, 05:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkDaysBish-OP

Just realised it's exactly 20 years this week since 2000AD published the 3000AD supplement, featuring supposedly satirical updates of the original Prog 1 line-up, reimagined for 1997. All of them were written by me and/or Steve MacManus, borrowing heavily from the source material.

The strip that got attention at the time was B.L.A.I.R.1, which confidently predicted a Labour landslide in the imminent general election. But it was the 1997 incarnation of Invasion!, subtitled Double-Barrel Euro-Sceptic, that looks even more prescient now.

Bill Savage launches a one-man war against the EU after his family gets murdered, with amazing art by Henry Flint. [Less prescient: the idea that a Daily Mail-loving nutter like Bill would have a Muslim mate.] If nothing else, the strip did demonstrate there was still stories to be told about Mr Savage...

Art

Mardroid

DarkDaysBish-OP

Quote from: DarkDaysBish-OP on 14 March, 2017, 05:23:36 PM
Just realised it's exactly 20 years this week since 2000AD published the 3000AD supplement, featuring supposedly satirical updates of the original Prog 1 line-up, reimagined for 1997. All of them were written by me and/or Steve MacManus, borrowing heavily from the source material.

The strip that got attention at the time was B.L.A.I.R.1, which confidently predicted a Labour landslide in the imminent general election. But it was the 1997 incarnation of Invasion!, subtitled Double-Barrel Euro-Sceptic, that looks even more prescient now.

Bill Savage launches a one-man war against the EU after his family gets murdered, with amazing art by Henry Flint. [Less prescient: the idea that a Daily Mail-loving nutter like Bill would have a Muslim mate.] If nothing else, the strip did demonstrate there was still stories to be told about Mr Savage...

The final panel can be seen here: https://twitter.com/davidbishop/status/841695753152126976

Smith

Proudhuff

Quote from: DarkDaysBish-OP on 14 March, 2017, 05:23:36 PM
If nothing else, the strip did demonstrate there was still stories to be told about Mr Savage...

I hope Mrs Mill's laddie thanked you for that  :D
DDT did a job on me

Dog Deever

Quote from: Art on 14 March, 2017, 05:33:17 PM
Don't forget Judge Dredd!

http://www.alternity.co.uk/3000%20ad.html

Okay, maybe we should all forget Judge Dredd.

The shinty looks like it's got more interesting- not just broken-faced ginger blokes with mangled fingers hitting each other with bent sticks anymore.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

CalHab

The Daily Mail would surely have picked that up for syndication. You missed a trick there.