Main Menu

Dredd Helmet Paint Job

Started by chris_askham, 14 March, 2017, 11:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_askham

I've just posted this over on Facebook, but thought it might be worth getting some tips on the forum too. First time i've ever painted up anything like this, so its all new to me...

I bought this fibreglass Dredd helmet off a guy on eBay, and wondering where to start with it. I guess the first thing is to trim away all the excess bits round the edges. Anyone recommend the best tools to use before i just delve in and balls it all up?

Colin YNWA

Uhh this is going to become a good thread. Can't offer anything constructive but my enthusiasm for regular updates on progress!

chris_askham

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 March, 2017, 08:01:12 AM
Uhh this is going to become a good thread. Can't offer anything constructive but my enthusiasm for regular updates on progress!

Well, my next post may well be 'Bodged the trimming job, whole project binned'. We'll see :-)

Krakajac

"Anyone recommend the best tools to use before i just delve in and balls it all up?"

Yep - get yourself a Dremel - or a good quality Dremel knock-off.  Using a cutting/grinder disk - you'll be able to cut through that like melted butter.  Cut at least 1mm (maybe a bit more) away from the true edges (if that makes sense), then use a high grit sandpaper to smooth the edges down until you're satisfied with the result, etc.

Make sure you use a mask - fibreglass is nasty stuff to get in your lungs.  The Dremel will produce a lot of fine dust.

I've been using a knock-off Dremel for years.  Was in a hardware store yesterday - and they were selling a genuine entry-level Dremel for about $49.00 Australian Dollars, which is great value.  You can also get one with a flexible shaft/handle, which makes fiddly work easier than using the normal Dremel tool.

chris_askham

Thanks Krakajac - there's a Dremel 3000 on Amazon for just under £40, reckon that should serve my purposes. Good point about the dust mask too!

Mardroid

I don't know anything about this type of work, but if there's flying bits, I'd suggest goggles too.

I know, that's probably pretty obvious.

And yes, please post updates!

Dandontdare

is that photo flipped or does it really say DREDD backwards across the face?

I'b be tempted to create the visor by cutting horizontally and removing the lower face part - good luck with all that - I'm terribly kak-handed and I would doubtless ruin it instantly, but I love seeing other more capable people doing stuff ,like this!

chris_askham

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 March, 2017, 07:49:28 PM
is that photo flipped or does it really say DREDD backwards across the face?

I'b be tempted to create the visor by cutting horizontally and removing the lower face part - good luck with all that - I'm terribly kak-handed and I would doubtless ruin it instantly, but I love seeing other more capable people doing stuff ,like this!

It's not flipped and it does say Dredd backwards - obviously a reverse imprint from a badge, but couldn't say why.

Bolt-01

Chris- little to add apart from good luck with this and looking forward to updates!

Darren Stephens

I love threads like this. Looking forward to seeing things progress, Chris. ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

chris_askham

Had a bit of helmet time today so did most of my cutting out. Still needs a little bit of sanding down, but I'm quite pleased that I've got past that stage without completely bodging it!

Tony Angelino

Looks really good. How are you going to do the visor?

Colin YNWA

Good to see Dredd is boning up on benefit law as well.

chris_askham

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 26 March, 2017, 12:02:55 AM
Looks really good. How are you going to do the visor?

Some online forums I've checked recommend using a welding mask visor or motorcycle helmet visor.

Tony Angelino

Right. Never thought of those.