Main Menu

Are there any really bad 2000ad strips?

Started by marko10174, 18 March, 2017, 04:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

I've purchased about 35 2AD graphic novels this year, and it's safe to say I've enjoyed them all. I have particular favourites yes, but I've never regretted any of my purchases. So are there any strips that should be avoided like the plague?

WhizzBang

Probably have been some duff stuff but they are unlikely to be available as trades.

One of the attempts to bring back Robo Hunter not written by Wagner/Grant springs to mind. I can't remember much about it or who wrote it but it didn't work, it probably looked worse than it was due to the great stuff that was done during the original run.

A lot of it is down to opinion of course. There are some people who don't rate Halo Jones at all, while others love it and see it as one of 2000ads finest moments. (I am in the former camp myself).

Colin YNWA

Its a can of worms ya opening cos its all so subjective.

So for example I really don't get on with Rogue Trooper but LOADS do. So for everyone who says avoid such and such someone will likely come along and say. But I love that...

except The Spacegirls. I don't think anyone liked that... I don't think.

The Adventurer

Oh there have certainly been a few duds. I've been reading since 2004, and while nearly 80-90% of content has ranged from Acceptable to Zarjaz in quality. Usually your worst thrills are just forgettably dull (Synnamon) . But you get that real stinker once in a while (Stalag 666). Or a massively disappointing misfire (Age of the Wolf).

Because you're reading collected editions you're really not going to run into truly dreadful content. The cream of the crop get the Graphic Novel treatment most of the time after all.

Also personal taste matters. I personally don't rate Pat Mill's modern output as any good whatsoever. Others disagree. I personally rank Bec & Kawl highly. Others... do not.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Smith

Quote from: WhizzBang on 18 March, 2017, 04:28:20 PM
Probably have been some duff stuff but they are unlikely to be available as trades.

One of the attempts to bring back Robo Hunter not written by Wagner/Grant springs to mind. I can't remember much about it or who wrote it but it didn't work, it probably looked worse than it was due to the great stuff that was done during the original run.
Mark Millar,if we are thinking about the same period.
Actually,conventional wisdom is that you are better off avoiding any 2000AD material written by Mark Millar.Well,maybe Tales from Beyond Science are not that bad.

Mattofthespurs

No.
There isn't.
Shut up.
I said there isn't.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 18 March, 2017, 05:25:40 PM
Mark Millar,if we are thinking about the same period.
Actually,conventional wisdom is that you are better off avoiding any 2000AD material written by Mark Millar.Well,maybe Tales from Beyond Science are not that bad.

See there's a great example of what I mean. Now I'll not defend vast chunks of what he spued  into the Prog but Silo was dead good (if derivative), Big Dave fun comics, if not a good fit for 2000ad, the first Manic 5 brill and over in the Meg the first Red Razors wasn't too bad at all. I think Canon Fodder has fans too, though I'm not one.

I reckon if we dig hard enough we'll even find fans of some of Michael Fleisher's stuff?

Echidna

I read Junker out of curiosity, and while it wasn't as dire as I'd been led to believe, it really tried my patience. Especially when a character introduced herself as "Varex't J!q, one of the few survivors of the royal lineage of Nyallspfx."

Red Razors has some fun ideas but feels kind of flippant to me. The talking horse in particular was really too much (to be fair to Millar, Judge Ed wasn't the first talking horse in Dredd's world). Millar's Robo-Hunter is pretty terrible too.

Rogue Judge

Like you, I have enjoyed everything I have read. There is the odd Dredd tale I groan at when reading the case files but overall they are exceptional.

Like Colin suggests, its all so subjective and up to personal tastes. For example, Rogue Trooper is one of my favorite strips! However, Leviathan, although the favorite of so many people, wasn't my cup of tea. I recently purchased and read ABC Warriors and loved the Meknificent Seven but didn't really like black hole.

It all comes down to preference, so read it all and then decide!   :D

Smith

@RJ I dont know how far you got;but JFF Im guessing you didnt like Khronicles of Khaos and Hellbringer,but you liked Third Element and Shadow Warriors?:)

Richard

QuoteI reckon if we dig hard enough we'll even find fans of some of Michael Fleisher's stuff?

Steady on! Let's not go crazy.

marko10174

I just finished reading Leviathan yesterday Rogue judge, I'm a big horror buff so it was right up my alley. Though a little short. Some interesting input everyone, I guess it is all subjective then, there doesn't eem to be one particular strip that has fans eyes rolling. Good to know.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richard on 18 March, 2017, 07:09:32 PM
QuoteI reckon if we dig hard enough we'll even find fans of some of Michael Fleisher's stuff?

Steady on! Let's not go crazy.

Yeah okay fair enough I might have got carried away there!

Southstreeter

Junker
Trash
Dry Run
Wireheads
Kola Kommandos
Basically a load of 90s stuff that should never again see the light of day.

Tony Angelino

I don't think I've read any 2000AD material from Mark Millar or Garth Ennis that I would want to read again.

Its all down to the "British invasion" that happened in the late mid to late 1980's when so many good creators got tempted over to DC Comics. By the 90's the comic had changed fairly drastically, in my opinion, and had lost a lot of big names which it struggled for years to replace.