Main Menu

Are there any really bad 2000ad strips?

Started by marko10174, 18 March, 2017, 04:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

You have to remember that Garth Ennis was in his early to mid 20s when he wrote for 2000 AD, so he can be forgiven for some substandard strips now and then. But I think the majority of his work was pretty good, and there were some outstanding g stories like Raider and Death Aid. Most importantly, he understood Dredd's character and voice, which all the other writers in the '90s didn't (except Wagner obvs).

I agree with most of Magnetica's list of shame, and I'd also add Trash and Dead Meat. But I would defend Indigo Prime and Leatherjack, which are brilliant, but I understand that Smith is not everyone's cup of tea. As has been said already, the first series of Time Flies was alright, and I'd rate it higher than Hewligan's Haircut.

As for Slaine and Finn, while I can see the similarities I think they are also different enough that there was room for both in the comic. That may have just been an excuse the editor used to get rid of a strip he didn't like. Personally I enjoyed Finn more than Slaine. The first two books of Finn are outstanding (and I really liked that artist too; whatever happened to him?) so it was nice too see them reprinted for the first time in the floppy recently. The later ones weren't as good but they were alright.

Kola Kommandos wasn't so bad, it was just aimed at younger readers. I don't want to see it come back, but not every strip should be intelligent and dark, you've got to have something to keep young readers wanting to read it.

The Zaucer of Zilk was fantastic.

dweezil2

Bec And Kawl left me pretty cold, I must admit.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Richard

I liked Bec and Kawl.

I forgot to mention The Straitjacket Fits over in the Megazine. Dire. Sorry Bish-Op, but stick to novels.

Magnetica

Yes really liked Death Aid. It was a great concept, well executed and great art to boot.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Tony Angelino

I don't understand the liking for Garth Ennis Dredd. Admittedly I have read more of it in the Mega Collection than I ever read in the prog (having stopped collecting 2000AD in  1990 or thereabouts before he became the regular Dredd writer) but what I have read hasn't made me want to read any more.

I don't think his age is a factor either as if he was too young and inexperienced then they shouldn't have had him writing their main character.

I had a look through some of my old progs from 1988-1990 there recently and it wasn't a nostalgic experience in the main.

Richard

1988-1990 is pre-Ennis. It's all Wagner stories.

Tony Angelino

Yeah I know. I wasn't specifically referring to Dredd in that respect. I found the prog in general in 1988-1990 wasn't good.

Greg M.

Quote from: Richard on 19 March, 2017, 01:48:32 PM
It's all Wagner stories.

Interspersed with a few Alan Grant stories.

Part of my own retrospective fondness for Ennis's run is about context . As Richard says earlier, Ennis at least understood Dredd: if anything, his problem was that he was too much of a fan, and his Dredd is therefore an untouchable super-tough man of steel who even the Democrats secretly want to be dominated by. Compare to Millar (genuinely doesn't have a clue about the character) or Morrison (has obvious contempt for the character.) But it's also fun watching Ennis's progress, as he steadily learns how to do a good Dredd story. It takes a while, and is interspersed with some right old rubbish, but when he gets it right, by Grud, he gets it right. He's never flawless, but he steadily manages to fuse his own 'hard man' yarns with that Wagnerian strain of tough-minded lunacy that defines Dredd at its best.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Timothy on 19 March, 2017, 10:33:08 AM
How have we got to the second page of this without a Colin-baiting mention of SinDex?😜

Yeah have been kinda waiting for that one to come. My defense is already! All 20,000 words of it.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 March, 2017, 09:30:02 AM
Oh yeah one more I forgot

The Zaucer of Zilk.

I am sure loads of people really liked that one as well. It's by all time legend Brendan McCarthy, so what could there possibly be to not like?

GET OUT!

Smith

On Indigo Prime-its not bad,but it has probably the most bizarre and offensive moment in 2000ad,ever.So I can see that bothering people.

Richard

Echidna

So far I've only read the most recent Indigo Prime story - the one with [spoiler]Christhulhu[/spoiler]. Is that the offensive bit? Personally I loved it and can't wait for more.

Quote from: Richard on 19 March, 2017, 12:01:11 PM
I forgot to mention The Straitjacket Fits over in the Megazine. Dire. Sorry Bish-Op, but stick to novels.

Yeah, despite a long tradition of mixing dark humour with the SF and action, 2000 AD and the Meg don't have a great track record when it comes to out-and-out comedy stories.

Smith