Are there any really bad 2000ad strips?

Started by marko10174, 18 March, 2017, 04:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

All hail our savior Christhulu!

I completely forgot about that! :lol:

Magnetica

Quote from: Echidna on 19 March, 2017, 05:06:28 PM
Yeah, despite a long tradition of mixing dark humour with the SF and action, 2000 AD and the Meg don't have a great track record when it comes to out-and-out comedy stories.

At the risk of putting myself at odds with the board, I liked Dash Decent and Captain Klepp.

Thinking about it further, what about DR an Quinch! Got to be the ultimate comedy strip, surely?

CalHab

Quote from: Richard on 19 March, 2017, 11:56:27 AM
You have to remember that Garth Ennis was in his early to mid 20s when he wrote for 2000 AD, so he can be forgiven for some substandard strips now and then.

It's not like he's grown up since then.

Smith

Rara Avis

I wouldn't be a fan of Sam Slade, Ace Trucking and I simply cannot get into Sinister Dexter.

However I would read any of them over Dead Meat which was truly appalling.

Smith

Hawkmumbler

I can't say i'm the biggest Ace Trucking fan, if i'm honest.

Rara Avis

<raises hand nervously> Me?

What is it about? Some guy with a pointy head to drives a space ship and makes terrible jokes?

Obviously I haven't read much lately .. there was that one story in the Xmas prog (I think) but I don't remember liking it before.

Dark Jimbo

Tony Lee wrote some pretty dire stuff - Stalag 666 is probably the worst, but Necrophim became one of only two strips in 2000AD (since I started reading in 2000) that I just stopped reading* because I couldn't physically keep putting msyelf through the rigours for such small reward. Citi-Def I thought was garbage, quite frankly - but at least it was fun, fast-paced and breezy. A sort of guilty pleasure, if you were so inclined. Stalag and Necrophim by contrast, were just irredeemably dull week-in, week-out.

*The other was Blood of Satanus III, and I'm a little surprised that hasn't already warranted a mention in this thread!
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Classic Ace Trucking was fantastic. As was classic Wagner Grant Robo Hunter.

If all you have read is the recent stories in the specials... Well don't judge them on those....they aren't a patch on what they were.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 19 March, 2017, 06:01:26 PM
... Blood of Satanus III, and I'm a little surprised that hasn't already warranted a mention in this thread!

Likewise American Reaper actually, given the vitriol it prompted here on the board each time it ran! I haven't read it though, so I can't comment personally.
@jamesfeistdraws

Smith

Grudge-Father?Babe Race 2000?Sleeze n Ryder?

dweezil2

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 19 March, 2017, 06:05:05 PM
... Blood of Satanus III, and I'm a little surprised that hasn't already warranted a mention in this thread!

Likewise American Reaper actually, given the vitriol it prompted here on the board each time it ran! I haven't read it though, so I can't comment personally.

There have been far, far worse strips than American Reaper in 2000AD and The Meg's history.

And Blood Of Satans III come to that.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Rara Avis

I'll have to take your word for it but it's just not one of the strips I'd be really keen to follow up on or delve back into.

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 March, 2017, 06:03:06 PM
Classic Ace Trucking was fantastic. As was classic Wagner Grant Robo Hunter.

If all you have read is the recent stories in the specials... Well don't judge them on those....they aren't a patch on what they were.

Jim_Campbell

Citi-Def I thought was garbage, quite frankly - but at least it was fun, fast-paced and breezy. A sort of guilty pleasure, if you were so inclined.

Apart from the rape jokes, if memory serves.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.