Main Menu

Are there any really bad 2000ad strips?

Started by marko10174, 18 March, 2017, 04:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 March, 2017, 08:21:57 PM
As much as it pains me to mention them, I'd also have to say that The Balls Brothers and I Was A Teenage Tax Consultant were two very, very rare misfires from the usually reliable John Wagner.

Not sure I've actually read more than one episode of IWaTTC, but I really liked Balls Brothers. Even more when I read it again in a Meg floppy: just light-hearted silliness and nastiness more in the vein of Three Stooges and Bottom than Blues Brothers. Some of Walker's best ever art too

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Smith on 18 March, 2017, 06:54:25 PM
@RJ I dont know how far you got;but JFF Im guessing you didnt like Khronicles of Khaos and Hellbringer,but you liked Third Element and Shadow Warriors?:)

Am I that predictable? :D I have not read any of the ABC Warriors you mentioned above, but based on the titles alone you are likely right. What is the main premises of Khronicles of Khaos and Hellbringer?

I do enjoy a little esoteric fun, but the more stories lean on 'sorcery/magic' I tend to enjoy them less.

I haven't decided if I will buy more of the Mek Files or not (but as you know have been enjoying the Volgan war).

Smith

In Khronicles they collect heads for a ritual.In Hellbringer,there is a black hole generator they have to destroy.In short.
Third element and onwards,they return to sorting out Mars,so if you liked the first volume,this should be more your thing.So my advice is to stick with it.

NapalmKev

Khronicals of Khaos is my favourite A.B.C Warriors story. I would also say it's one of the best 2000AD stories ever printed!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Grant Goggans

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 March, 2017, 10:48:41 PM

I loathe Millar's Dredd and RoboHunter as much as the next guy, but... Big Dave is pretty funny, his 'Long Distance Calls' is a favourite Future Shock of mine...

That was a Tale From Beyond Science, and it remains my favorite thing that Millar ever wrote.

Mother Earth remains my least favorite 2000 AD series, but the '90s Harlem Heroes, Bison, and Stalag 666 are pretty close behind.

Magnetica

Which proves something I guess.

There are tales that you don't enjoy but which nonetheless leave some sort of lasting impression (e.g. for me the ones I listed earlier).

Then there are tales, which don't even make that sort of impression, and are just forgotten. For instance I have no memory whatsoever of Mother Earth.

Rately

Quote from: NapalmKev on 20 March, 2017, 07:17:48 AM
Khronicals of Khaos is my favourite A.B.C Warriors story. I would also say it's one of the best 2000AD stories ever printed!

Cheers

One of the first complete ABC Warriors stories i ever read, and loved it. Kev Walker's art was bloody fantastic.

I'm toying with getting all the ABC Warriors collections, and making that my next big reading project. Be nice to see the early Bisley stuff again.

malkymac

Quote from: Echidna on 19 March, 2017, 05:06:28 PM
So far I've only read the most recent Indigo Prime story - the one with [spoiler]Christhulhu[/spoiler]. Is that the offensive bit? Personally I loved it and can't wait for more.

Quote from: Richard on 19 March, 2017, 12:01:11 PM
I forgot to mention The Straitjacket Fits over in the Megazine. Dire. Sorry Bish-Op, but stick to novels.

Yeah, despite a long tradition of mixing dark humour with the SF and action, 2000 AD and the Meg don't have a great track record when it comes to out-and-out comedy stories.

I quite liked the Balls Brothers

TordelBack

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 20 March, 2017, 07:57:10 AM
That was a Tale From Beyond Science, and it remains my favorite thing that Millar ever wrote.

You are of course and as always correct - I lazily tend to just call all the short stories Future Shocks, be they Terror, Twister, Beyond, MiB or Ro-Jaws branded.  That Millar short is, I believe, the last time I excitedly encouraged friends to read something in my prog, not so long before Millar Dredd led me to drop the whole thing for five years...

Old Tankie

sheridan

Quote from: Smith on 19 March, 2017, 06:44:56 PM
Im not really a fan of American Reaper either,but it was more bland then bad.Thou,Langley's artwork works a lot better for robots then for humans.

Clint's photostrip work definitely suits robots better, but his hand-drawn stuff works all-round for me.

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 19 March, 2017, 06:01:26 PM
*The other was Blood of Satanus III, and I'm a little surprised that hasn't already warranted a mention in this thread!

Was it the script or art you didn't like?  If the latter, perhaps people don't want to speak ill of the dead?

NapalmKev

Quote from: sheridan on 20 March, 2017, 12:53:36 PM
Quote from: Smith on 19 March, 2017, 06:44:56 PM
Im not really a fan of American Reaper either,but it was more bland then bad.Thou,Langley's artwork works a lot better for robots then for humans.

Clint's photostrip work definitely suits robots better, but his hand-drawn stuff works all-round for me.

I found it the other way around. The recent runs of 'A.B.C', while detailed and nice to look at, are a bit static. All of the characters look as if they are just there rather than moving or Fighting. American Reaper on the other hand looked like it was moving at a breathless pace.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Smith

John Byrne has this experiment where he screencaps Star Trek TOS,photoshops the pictures and arranges them into a comic(Which is a lot harder then one might think).
American Reaper fealt a lot like that,but with more effects.

AlexF

There are very few 2000AD thrills that have, to me, been real stinkers on both story and art.

Captain Klep
Space Girls
the last half of Mean Arena book 2 was massively uninspired on both fronts (Mike White's art had been fun at first but even he lost interest by the end)
ParaSites (I actually have a soft spot for both the story and art on Wireheads, where it feels like I can see what both were going for even if it didn't come off. ParaSites was just a chore.)
R.A.M. Raiders is not without some merit, as a comic for younger readers, but it's a poor late work from the writer and a not-yet-great early work from the artist.
Detonator X is better than all those, but I have a special dislike for it because both Edginton and Yeowell have been so much better on so many other strips.

Other strips that I get the impression are generally disliked, but haven't been mentioned yet:
Soul Sisters (It is barely readable as a story, but Shaky Kane art is always worth a look to my mind)
MACH O (especially book 2; for whatever reason I found the whole thing charming)
Helltrekkers
MoonRunners
-neither of these last two are that bad, but they both committed the crime of just going on and on and on when they ran in the Prog.

You'd have to work hard to buy any of these strips by mistake, even though some have been reprinted!