Main Menu

Star Trek - Enterprise

Started by Michael Knight, 18 March, 2017, 04:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

How we doing folks?

Just wondering if anyone else thinks 'Enterprise' is rather underrated? Some episodes featuring the 'Borg' and 'Ferengi' are pretty good I thought having only caught them for the first time recently. Watched the show for first couple of Seasons when it on Channel 4 but like a lot of folk lost track of it during the convoluted later seasons.

Did not however like the Final episode one iota.

Professor Bear

Later seasons weren't really convoluted: season 3 was a year-long storyline because one of the incoming producers worked on 24 - I imagine he must have been delighted to leave that show after 7 years only to be told what they'd be doing with Enterprise - though most episodes up until the final third of the season were relatively self-contained apart from the "looking for the bad aliens" premise, while season 4 had a bunch of 2 and 3-part episodes.

I came around to the show many years after it had been scrapped, but I remember originally giving up on Enterprise with the season 1 finale: Captain Archer has been Quantum-Leaped into the future and the final shot is him staring into the camera just like he used to do before the title sequence on Quantum Leap, and he doesn't say "OH BOY"?  At that moment, I knew this show was bullshit.  Later, the writers would admit they actually wanted to do this, but the producers didn't want to end the episode on a light note.  Another thing writers revealed about the "temporal cold war" story arc was that the mysterious figure from the future talking to the space-terrorists was going to be revealed to be an older, nameless character who would also be played by Scott Bakula, and if you look at the design of the "communicator" the future figure used to talk to the space terrorists, it's clearly the Quantum Leap Accelerator with a glass wall around it: the writers had written the main villain of the show to be Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap without telling the producers.  BRASS BALLS right there.

Michael Knight

Professor Bear your a great source of info mate. Cracking up about the Quantum Leap links. The mind boggles. 

sheridan

I wonder how Scott felt about being typecast as Sam Beckett?

Magnetica

Personally I wouldn't say it was under rated.

What it is, in my opinion, is just not as good as TNG or DS9.

Still, it is Trek and so is worth watching and is a better than a lot of other stuff. It is just there is way better Trek out there and that is how I am measuring it.

Smith

Quote from: Magnetica on 28 May, 2017, 04:38:51 PM
Personally I wouldn't say it was under rated.

What it is, in my opinion, is just not as good as TNG or DS9.

Still, it is Trek and so is worth watching and is a better than a lot of other stuff. It is just there is way better Trek out there and that is how I am measuring it.
Same here.But then again,I think DS9 is the best Trek series.

The Legendary Shark

Enterprise is my favourite Trek series.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

My eldest has commenced a first-time watch of Enterprise Season 1, as a fix for those times when the rest of us are too busy to push on with Voyager (mid-Season 4, still going well, but Season 2 still the strongest overall), and I occasionally drop in... turns out I remember basically none of it, character names, plots, the look of the ship.  It's quite a shock, because I'm sure I would still been a Trekkie when it initially aired, albeit at the very end of my tenure.  And apart from the ridiculous attempts at sexing (ramming the Vulcan agenda down our throats...), it's not bad.  They definitely get the pioneering feeling right, and the ship's interiors are great. I'm definitely interested to see how it continues past the business with the Xindi, which is as far as I got last time.

As a related aside, played our first game of Star Trek Catan last night, very enjoyable twist on the original, and great fun to see kids desperately begging for Tritanium and Dilithium, and scrabbling to get Uhuru's talents onto their bridge.

Professor Bear

It's wildly uneven, but there's plenty for a first-time visitor to Enterprise season 4 to enjoy.
The early episodes are the worst of it, but they do at least actually sew up the loose threads of previous seasons.