Main Menu

Your Favorite Prog Covers!

Started by Rogue Judge, 20 March, 2017, 05:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Quote from: Rara Avis on 25 March, 2017, 10:21:15 AM
Surely that should read extremely hobbit forming?  ;)

Never say we don't feed you.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Magnetica

Quote from: Spikes on 25 March, 2017, 09:36:55 AM
Mmmm, this is a toughie...

I think Prog 61 will always be my absolute favourite cover, but Prog 178 kinda gets me in ways that no other cover does.

I've brilliant memories of that period.

And it came with a free gift - very important that, Tharg should bring them back.... 

And it always strikes me as being the start of the first golden period. Though in truth, I think it started a few progs before.

Yes I agree. Prog 178 is absolutely iconic for me.

Buttonman

Dandontdare

it's the combination of food and head-tilt you like isn't it?  ;)

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 March, 2017, 02:23:57 PM
it's the combination of food and head-tilt you like isn't it?  ;)
:lol:

________

Buttonman, that cover prog 333 is pure zarjaz - it showcases an awesome picture of Dredd on his lawmaster and Mega City 1 and captures the humor of the comic, what more could you ask for?? (except maybe a munce bun...) The image below of the whole cover provides a little context...

Andy, nice selection of creative covers, I had never seen them before. The image with the giant centipede crawling down the guys throat is especially disturbing!

Spikes, that prog 178 is great, especially in B&W - I also like that it has Tharg on the cover.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 March, 2017, 10:02:45 PM
But realise its easy to get sucked into plugging for the older more recognised images so thought about more modern ones that are as powerful and this one meets that grade in such a different, more modern way

As ever I reserve the right to change my mind at the drop of a hat!

It is. That Cradlegrave one is really striking but I think this is one of my favourites from recent years.
We never really die.

Satanist

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dandontdare

possibly one for the "over your head" thread but it is only recently that I've noticed the mother's face in the Vark's mouth.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 25 March, 2017, 08:49:51 PM
Buttonman, that cover prog 333 is pure zarjaz - it showcases an awesome picture of Dredd on his lawmaster and Mega City 1 and captures the humor of the comic, what more could you ask for?? (except maybe a munce bun...) The image below of the whole cover provides a little context...

It's the non-context version that I've always prefered, actually - precisely because it's such a random visual! I don't want to know why Dredd's looking at a synthi-sausage with such intentsity - it's enough that he is, and on the cover to boot!  :lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 March, 2017, 05:01:00 PM
That's the Mean Arena - future sport strip set in Britain - the original was a good enough strip, but nothing special ... we don't talk about the later reboot *shudder*

Frankly, that cover is probably the best thing about the strip!

When did it get rebooted?  Harlem Heroes got rebooted, there was Mean Team (unrelated to Mean Arena) but I can't recall a reboot?

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 March, 2017, 08:01:38 AM
Yeah excellent point that I made myself serveral times. There is some pretty great art throughtout... well there should be I'm a big fan of Eric Bradbury but just don't think his art works here for reason's that completely escape me.

Eric's work is suited to grimy contemporary and historical horror (witness Dracula Files and even Tharg stories) but not so suited to future tales.  Having said that, there's a few Future Shocks he did that are pretty good.

Richard

ZenArcade

Simon Harrison was just the best.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead