Main Menu

Brigand Doom? Any fans?

Started by Michael Knight, 25 March, 2017, 06:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

Alright folks.

I only ever caught Brigand Doom towards end of his 2000ad run when I started getting the prog every week. Just wondering what those readers that caught whole story thought of it. Any chance of it returning as ive been told it never officially concluded?

Colin YNWA

Real case of deminishing returns on this one. Loved the first series and it got worse as it went on alas. The art however remained consistently superb.

I think overall though I'm a fan.

Mute77

Yeah i really liked the first series, especially the art..i cant say as i remember much following that but that may be because i stopped reading the prog around that time. Id like to revisit it though.

Dog Deever

As with others, the first series was great, the art superb but it didn't seem to live up to hopes and I stuggle to remember where it went. Overall I liked it, but wanted to like it more than I did.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dog Deever on 25 March, 2017, 09:46:33 PMOverall I liked it, but wanted to like it more than I did.

Nail on head!

The Corinthian

The first series was great but it didn't really know where to go afterwards and ended up becoming rather repetitive. It's never clear that McKenzie had any interest in answering the big questions he posed (mainly, who is Doom and what is his connection with Investigator 9) and the supernatural stuff feels really out of place*.

* Bringing the dead Doom back by voodoo in the second series is very peculiar. The implication of the end of the first is that Doom is a kind of viral/drug-induced personality, which is potentially far more interesting than the zombie and vampire shenanigans we ended up with.

dweezil2

For some reason it always struck me as a kind of rejected 'new' Eagle story-and I mean that as a compliment!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dog Deever

I really liked the juxtaposition of the supernatural stuff with the near future/ modern-noir feel. For me, it was kind of what give it an edge I liked and would like to have seen explored a bit. It looked like it was going to be really cool and then kind of just didn't be.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

The Legendary Shark

Yup, I'm a fan. If ever there was a time to bring back "the most dangerous terrorist in the world," this would be it...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

dweezil2

Quote from: dweezil2 on 26 March, 2017, 03:54:53 PM
For some reason it always struck me as a kind of rejected 'new' Eagle story-and I mean that as a compliment!

There's a very definite V For Vendetta vibe about proceedings too if I recall.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Rately

Vague memories of the story, I think at the time I was regulalry reading the Prog it was the second series, but i loved the art.

Wouldn't mind if they collected it for the 2000AD Hatchette series. Fingers crossed.

Woolly

Never read much Brigand Doom, but I liked the few episodes that I did manage to catch.
Certainly some untapped potential in the character, maybe time for someone to pitch a new series to Tharg.

It'd be good to see Dave D'Antiquis back in the prog, failing that i reckon Jock could have a good stab at it.

AlexF

Yeah, this series is ripe for a revisit in today's political clinate, which does have this narrative going of a rich few exploiting an unhappy many, with all too many people putting their heads down and just living through it, without knowing who to believe. As others ahve said, the original sort of lost its ay as it went on, largely because it had too many unanswered questions about who Doom was, and how he had so much power to know who was corrupt, and to stop them. The idea that society itself got fed up and conjured this psychic being is actually rather tasty, certainly has more potential than the zombie/vampire bits.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: dweezil2 on 27 March, 2017, 02:00:58 AM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 26 March, 2017, 03:54:53 PM

There's a very definite V For Vendetta vibe about proceedings too if I recall.

Suspiciously so, a cynic might say. But i quite enjoyed it at the time, particularly the one-off in one of the specials by a different writer and artist (possibly John Tomlinson, definitely Greg Staples, who was just getting good at that point).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[Shameless pimping]There was an episode of Brigand Doom, drawn by the excellent Alex Mines, in issue 26 of Zarjaz...[/shameless pimping]
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]