Main Menu

Brigand Doom? Any fans?

Started by Michael Knight, 25 March, 2017, 06:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amines2058

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 March, 2017, 12:48:40 PM
[Shameless pimping]There was an episode of Brigand Doom, drawn by the excellent Alex Mines, in issue 26 of Zarjaz...[/shameless pimping]

Cheers Greg! Loved drawing this, and funnily enough a page of this can be seen below (even more shameless pimping). Regarding the original strip, I loved Dave D'Antquis art, but as most others felt, the script was slightly lacking. I feel it could have been something special if developed further rather than V for Vendetta lite.
Did D-Antquis do anything else in the prog after that as it would be great to see him on something now (or more Doom?).

The Corinthian

Quote from: dweezil2 on 27 March, 2017, 02:00:58 AMThere's a very definite V For Vendetta vibe about proceedings too if I recall.

People say this but the points of coincidence are all fairly generic: psycho in period costume versus oppressive state. Unkind people (not me) might suggest that this is because once McKenzie stripped everything actionable out of 'V' and then didn't know what to put in its place, but I reckon his starting point was actually the bad pun title and that the hints of other, better comics weren't intentional.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Even the people I work with have never heard of me :-(
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

amines2058

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 March, 2017, 04:07:35 PM
Even the people I work with have never heard of me :-(

Sorry Mark. Currently working on another script for a certain Greg and made the obvious mistake.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-X

The Legendary Shark

Heh, no probs - I've been waiting to use that line for years!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dog Deever

Quote from: AlexF on 27 March, 2017, 11:57:24 AM
Yeah, this series is ripe for a revisit in today's political clinate, which does have this narrative going of a rich few exploiting an unhappy many, with all too many people putting their heads down and just living through it, without knowing who to believe. As others ahve said, the original sort of lost its ay as it went on, largely because it had too many unanswered questions about who Doom was, and how he had so much power to know who was corrupt, and to stop them. The idea that society itself got fed up and conjured this psychic being is actually rather tasty, certainly has more potential than the zombie/vampire bits.

Hmmm, not sure I really care who Doom was and how he got his power- having it all explained and laid out would kind of ruin his mystique; or me, it's not really important.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

robert_ellis

I loved Brigand Doom, for the art mostly. It has a real ant-establishment Nemesis vibe. I collected it in a book with Silo. I really wish it had continued - perhaps it'll get collected one day.