Main Menu

Cameos in early progs

Started by slithy, 03 April, 2017, 09:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slithy

So I started reading 2000AD from prog 1... in Invasion, we have cameos of Prince Charles (King Charles in the story), newscaster Angela Rippon and--according to Pat Mills--Margaret Thatcher being executed on the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral (though it doesn't look much like her and the character is identified as Lady Shirley Brown).

In prog 2, "members of parliament are strung up from the lamp-posts". Was the character in that frame a real MP from 1977?

Are there other cameos by real-life people in the first year or so of 2000AD?

I, Cosh

We never really die.

O Lucky Stevie!

Pretty much every ginger haired bloke in those early years was Pat Mills.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Steve Green

Prince/King Charles in Invasion.

TordelBack

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 April, 2017, 10:07:03 AM

First line, Steve. First line;)

Really interesting topic, though. I'm not an expert on the first year (still a Beano man then), but given the numbers of British TV personalities drafted into Dredd later on as gameshow hosts and sports commentators, there should be a rich seam.

malkymac

I think there was someone who was reminiscent of robin day in the power tower blowing up episode.

Steve Green

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 April, 2017, 10:17:13 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 04 April, 2017, 10:07:03 AM

First line, Steve. First line;)

Really interesting topic, though. I'm not an expert on the first year (still a Beano man then), but given the numbers of British TV personalities drafted into Dredd later on as gameshow hosts and sports commentators, there should be a rich seam.

uuuh it's early....

Steve Green

Other than those mentioned - I guess Thatcher in MACH Zero might squeeze into the early days, cameos became more common later on.

Not sure if Jimmy Carter's face on Mt Rushmore counts, or Colonel Sanders in the banned Cursed Earth episodes.

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

I, Cosh

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 04 April, 2017, 11:53:05 AM
B.l.A.I.R One anybody?
I know everyone has his own Golden Age, but it's a bit of a stretch to call 1034 an early Prog!
We never really die.

SuperSurfer

Plenty of cameos such as Laurel and Hardy, Marx Brothers in the Face Change Crimes.

http://dreddalert.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/judge-dredd-face-change-crimes.html?m=1

Steve Green

Oh, yeah Rondo Hatton as well in that one.

Heath C Ackley

There was a very Angela Rippon-esque reporter in the first episode of Invasion (for BBC 3 no less!).
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Echidna

Second line, Heath. Second line;)

M.I.K.

John Probe was very clearly modelled on Lee Majors.