Main Menu

Modern Life Is Rubbish

Started by Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK, 20 April, 2017, 01:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

I'm curious to hear what everyone else misses from the olden days, or what you could live without today. I'm about to throw this iPad out the window because you can't uninstall this game from the cloud*

Nintendo 3DS is something else I could live without. Maybe it's because I've got long fingers, or because the thing is designed for children, but after more than an hour of playing I get really sore thumbs. And 3D is rubbish.

So if anyone else is having a bad time with technology please rant along with me, might make me feel better.

*I'm trying to reset the game because I'm at level 30 and it's boring and I want to start over. Delete the game, reinstall, still lvl 30. Delete from cloud storage, reinstall, still level 30. I've checked all the forums and such and there seems to be no way to delete it. You can hide it, but not delete.

PsychoGoatee

The robotic self-checkout stations at pharmacies never work, they don't trust you're putting the things in the bag and stuff! The damn machines are going to rise against us...!

NapalmKev

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 20 April, 2017, 01:59:54 AM

Modern Life is Rubbish

I wasn't a big fan of Blur, either.

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 20 April, 2017, 05:01:50 AM
The robotic self-checkouts...

They're great! Not only do they remove people from work you also have to wait for an Appropriate Adult to come over and authorise your alchol purchases! Fantastic stuff!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

WhizzBang

I don't like the self service either. I am basically doing the cashiers job for a minute or two while they supervise.

Best thing about today is probably the web though. You can find out just about anyuthing without leaving your home where as in the old days you would have to get a book from a shop or library, and finding the book could be difficult.

Answering my own question here, but films used to be better in the olden days too. Star Wars, Citizen Kane, Alien.... these days you get More Fast More Furious, Alien Vs Predator 2 (to be fair I don't know if it was crap or not since I couldn't see anything) and Pod Racing!

TordelBack

Pod-racing was last seen 18 years ago, chief: your intergenerational gripe is a whole generation out. And I don't know where to start with Citizen Kane, except to say that impressive as it is, it's no Zootropolis.

My biggest problem with this modern life is our disconnect from the chaine operatoire of the material world, and conversely our close integration with that of the media.

Welcome to the forum, Pizza.

Hawkmumbler

I've had a naff 2001 nokia all week whilst my Iphone has been in for repairs, same week i've been on holiday in Jersey. Haven't missed the dumb apple phone one bit, it's actually be refreshing not feeling the need to reach for it every few second.

Smith

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 20 April, 2017, 07:29:52 AM
Answering my own question here, but films used to be better in the olden days too. Star Wars, Citizen Kane, Alien.... these days you get More Fast More Furious, Alien Vs Predator 2 (to be fair I don't know if it was crap or not since I couldn't see anything) and Pod Racing!
And now we have Star Wars and Alien and...anything else being rebooted these day?Other then...everything?

Suede1971

My gripes

Facebook, people having to say publically if they farted(thats a joke but its not too far fetched) or private stuff what should say private, and sharing every detail of there life, and it makes people antisocial, or maybe im just antisocial lol, im glad i dont use it anymore.

people recording with massive smart phones at concerts, the need to record something instead of just watching and enjoying, and they get in the f****** way.

People driving and using phones at the same time, and also people using there phones while walking and not looking where they are going.

having to pay 20p to go to the bog

remakes of remakes of remakes

self service checkouts, just give someone a till job instead of using technology and being greedy.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Suede1971 on 21 April, 2017, 10:40:43 PM

having to pay 20p to go to the bog

I don't mind paying. The loos you have to pay for are normally nice and clean because they have someone on site all the time keeping them that way. Rather that than have skanky, shit stained toilets with broken doors and no loo seats.

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 22 April, 2017, 07:27:19 AM
Rather that than have skanky, shit stained toilets with broken doors and no loo seats.

Luxury!

Suede1971

Back when ar was a lad skanky shit stained toilets was a luxury! we was lucky to even have a toilet!

Mardroid

Toilets at Victoria rail station are now free!

Don't all queue there at once now....😋

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 20 April, 2017, 07:29:52 AM
Answering my own question here, but films used to be better in the olden days too. Star Wars, Citizen Kane, Alien....

There's an almost 40 year gap between those two and there was fair amount of shite produced in that time that has conveniently been forgotten and a fair amount after that too. The 80s and 90s were nowt much better. 

It might seem like there are more less good films now than ever but more content is produced and we do get to see more than our parents ever had the chance to.

There's also more good stuff from the past because there's simply more 'past' to choose from.

radiator

I'll say what I always say whenever a thread like this pops up - no, things weren't better in the past, you were just younger and more impressionable, so things seemed more vital to you then. There's just as much - if not far more - creativity around now than there always was. It's very easy to cherry pick the very best music/films/games from years past and ignore the vast swathes of crap that there has always been.

I also don't understand why people moan about social media - if you don't want to engage with it, you don't have to. And if you're complaining about people posting mundane shite, it probably says more about who you're following and engaging with than the medium itself.

I also get a little tired of all the griping about smartphones and how they're making people 'antisocial'. That's ignoring the literally thousands of ways that they facilitate communication and engagement with others.

Having said all that....

In some very specific ways I kind of miss the pre-internet era, when you had to have your finger on the pulse and really seek stuff out when it came to stuff like music and films, and there was something really special about discovering a new band, or tracking down a copy of Watchmen for the first time, whereas now it's almost too easy. There's no barrier to entry and geek culture has now swallowed mainstream pop culture whole, and I find myself feeling a little disconnected from it as a result.

As far as I can tell, there isn't really an 'alternative' music scene anymore because as soon as an artist builds any underground buzz, they'll have a Wikipedia page and be profiled in The Guardian a week later. Patton Oswalt wrote a really great article about this phenomenon a few years back.

https://www.wired.com/2010/12/ff_angrynerd_geekculture/

Not that I'd go back to how things were, mind. The advantages of a connected world still vastly outweigh the disadvantages.