Main Menu

IMDB IS SCUM (so is rotten tomatoes)

Started by Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK, 22 April, 2017, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

If find it difficult to compare Alien and Fight Club really being such different films

I do happen to really like them both.

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

After giving it some thought I have decided that I am against the start rating. I think that instead ratings should come in just 2 flavors, would recommend or would not recommend. And with that I'm off to bed. Goodnight.

Bad City Blue

Gladiator IS better than The Shining.

Steven King didn't like it, either
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

The Legendary Shark

How does one calculate the rating of a review site as "Scum"?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 27 April, 2017, 05:25:16 PM
Gladiator IS better than The Shining.

Is it fuck.  And Steven King is wrong too.

EDIT - and that was culture hour on BBC Radio 2.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mardroid

While I understand Stephen King's criticism of The Shining, in that the main character goes through less of a  journey into degradation ([spoiler]i.e. Jack Nicholson's version comes across as a bit of a psycho, even at the start, while the novel version comes across as an ordinary mostly decent guy, with a dark side (linked to alcoholism) who degrades throughout the novel due to the Overlook's influence,[/spoiler]) as a piece of horror I think the original film is still rather good. The horror works in a different way to the novel and the more faithful mini-series adaptation, but... well it scared me, so job done.

I could say more, but I won't as this isn't a Shining comparison thread.  :lol:

As for The Shining > Gladiator?

Again, I'd say, different films, and genres, so I find it tough to compare as they're both good films. It would come down to 'what genre do I prefer', and since I like both horror and historical dramas (if you can blend the two that would be REALLY good) I would still find it a bit difficult to compare.

I guess I'd lean towards The Shining by personal preference, but I wouldn't say the film is objectively better. Unless 'preference' means 'better'.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Kubrick is a much better director the Scott.
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

For context, King thought the 1990s Shining tv miniseries was better than Kubrick's film.

Quote from: Mardroid on 30 April, 2017, 03:50:34 PM
While I understand Stephen King's criticism of The Shining, in that the main character goes through less of a  journey into degradation

This was deliberate, though for what reason depends on which of the many interpretations of the film you chose to take as correct.  My favorite is probably the "Jack isn't the caretaker" theory which posits that (in the film) he was mental before he got to the Overlook.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mister Pops on 30 April, 2017, 06:16:46 PM
Kubrick is a much better director the Scott.

Then again I think Kubrick missed the mark with The Shining whereas Gladiator was one of the few times Scott managed to tick all the popcorn boxes and regenerated his career.