Main Menu

I may get shot for this...

Started by marko10174, 23 April, 2017, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

FWIW when I mentioned the multi-part Ron interview a few pages back it obviously wasn't referencing TPO or Molch-R's interview, but the ECBT interview from *ages* ago. I'm sure that ran to 2 or 3 episodes, and he came across as a modest gent. The timer came up there too.
If TPO mentions the timer in isolation, you'd have to be pretty silly - and frankly blind - to think Ron wasn't devoted to his art.

SIP

Ron's complete dedication to his artwork shines through in absolutely every panel of Dredd I have ever seen him draw.

JayzusB.Christ

Why am I still looking at this thread?
Complaining about artists setting themselves time limits is up there with asking artists to work for 'exposure'.  It's the real world, and people have bills to pay.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Did you know that some artists use pencil sharpeners instead of a sharp knife? Satan-sucking uber-bastards!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SIP

It's not just me then? This is an infuriating thread isn't it?

The Legendary Shark

As a veteran of the Political Thread I'd have to say, no, not really. It's just mildly irritating, like a pair of underpants with knackered elastic.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SIP

Oddly, in all the long years that I've been here.....this one has wound me up.

JayzusB.Christ

There is always the possibility that we've been feeding elaborate trolls, of course...
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

In real life I've yet to meet anyone who produces anything of substance who doesn't do it to a deadline, self-imposed or otherwise. It's all very well sitting there polishing your creation and waiting for the muse to give you a tug, but the folk who deliver the goods deliver the goods.

SIP

Is it wrong that maligning my childhood artistic heroes does have more impact on me than the the political thread?

The Legendary Shark

Wrong? No. Healthy? Without a doubt!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SIP

Each passing day makes me want to give up on politics more and more, it just gets downright depressing.

BUT.....I still have Carlos and Ron 😊

And Mick, king of them all. Thankfully this thread hasn't had a go at him (yet), else I think I would just call it a day!

Goaty

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 April, 2017, 10:50:40 PM
There is always the possibility that we've been feeding elaborate trolls, of course...

We are.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Well if that's the case, ye don't kill trolls by ignoring them. Ye have to pity them. Trolls can't stand you feeling sorry fra them
You may quote me on that.

positronic

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 April, 2017, 08:36:14 PM
Quote from: positronic on 28 April, 2017, 07:51:55 PMAs for Ron Smith, well... he certainly drew a LOT of Judge Dredd. Somehow I never felt like he "fit in" with the other great Dredd artists, though (diverse though they may be). I think ultimately the most telling indictment of his work to me, was when I read in Thrill-Power Overload that he used to set himself a specific amount of time to work on each page, based on his page-rate from 2000 AD. When that time elapsed, he was done, regardless of what the page looked like at that point.

Quote from: positronic on 28 April, 2017, 07:51:55 PM
Perhaps I should be criticizing the editor of Thrill-Power Overload for choosing to print that quote out of context of the rest of a lengthy interview, which would have presented a more balanced picture. Since he didn't choose to print any counterbalancing comments in which Mr. Smith warmly expressed his appreciation of the medium or the fans of his work, without any context it tends to paint him in a negative light....it sounded so "just business; it-was-all-about-the-money", if he couldn't find anything else the least bit provocative. I did notice just a few instances in the book of creators or editors who "declined to be interviewed for this book".

Is it not really the case that Ron Smith's aesthetic is just not to your liking –perfectly fine– and that Ron's comment on his working method –even when in his own words– is just a modest anecdote rather than a valid criticism of the quality of his craftmanship as evident on the printed page?

What you get in Thrill-Power Overload is a history of 2000 AD the comic. It's a string of events, representing the highlights and lowlights, in which chunks of quotations are spread out and peppered through the book as they are relevant to the creation of new strips, characters, significant stories, and behind-the-scene insider information that relates to the development and growth of 2000 AD. Some creators get quoted a lot more than others (and the history tends to favor quotes from writers, and 2000 AD editors). None of the quotes by any individual, even taken together, represents a balanced profile of the person involved in the history of 2000 AD, because those quotes are selective, relative to what David Bishop thought were important events in the development and history of 2000 AD, or comments he thought illuminated some particular aspect. Choosing to highlight that particular anecdote of Ron Smith's presents him as a sort of hard-nosed, all-business Mr. Scrooge, because it doesn't say anything about what he thought about the characters, stories, people he worked with, or indeed even how he felt about the actual creation of the comics, or his own work. Taken by itself without any of the things I mention, it would make him seem like he was just knocking the stuff out, not particularly caring about any aspect other than making the deadlines and satisfying the editor and publisher.