Main Menu

I may get shot for this...

Started by marko10174, 23 April, 2017, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

positronic

Quote from: Smith on 29 April, 2017, 10:59:53 AM
There is a reason I try to avoid internet arguments.In a persons life,there is maybe 5-6 people that can actually influence his/her opinion.Stranger on the internet is not one of them.

You're entitled to that opinion. In my experience it may not always hold true.

The Legendary Shark

Also, I miss Roger. He'd be all over this thread like a collapsed prostate.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

Quote from: positronic on 29 April, 2017, 11:45:25 AM
There is a reason I try to avoid internet arguments.In a persons life,there is maybe 5-6 people that can actually influence his/her opinion.Stranger on the internet is not one of them.

I rest my case.

positronic

Quote from: Smith on 29 April, 2017, 12:05:26 PM
Quote from: positronic on 29 April, 2017, 11:45:25 AM

I rest my case.

I think the key word here is "always". I was influenced to change my opinion of what that Thrill-Power Overload quote represented in regards to Ron Smith's attitude towards his work, so I rest my case.

Smith

Yeah,whatever,you win.Im too tired to read 50000 words essay you might write if this discussion continues.

positronic

Quote from: Smith on 29 April, 2017, 01:33:18 PM
Yeah,whatever,you win.Im too tired to read 50000 words essay you might write if this discussion continues.

If all you want to write is a sentence or two of sarcasm or being confrontational or reactionary, you're unlikely to influence anyone on the internet. So your rule about influencing opinions is probably true for you. Molch-R didn't do that in his post, which caused me to reconsider the Ron Smith quote in a different context.

Darren Stephens

Carlos and Ron have given pleasure to so many over the years, this thread seems very.....thoughtless. Just my opinion.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

positronic

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 April, 2017, 09:54:57 AM
Quote from: positronic on 27 April, 2017, 04:57:18 AMThe quotes may or may not have been lifted from a lengthier interview which I never read
Whatever the case, it would have been extracted from a longer recorded interview done by the writer, and all such comments are therefore somewhat out of context, even when framed within the narrative the writer is putting forward. This is something I've always found tricky myself – you get 5,000 words of top-notch interview and have a word count of a fifth of that. Nuance gets cut. Things get removed. Everything is condensed.

As noted, I suspect the comments were about the reality of the craft – the speed in which people have to work to get by – and balancing quality with the time available. I don't think there's any indication from Smith's work that he abandoned pages half-done – more that he was able to optimise his time carefully to create the best job within the time available.

I forgot to acknowledge this, IndigoPrime. That's the kind of counter-argument I respect. I have changed my opinion about the Ron Smith quote in Thrill-Power Overload -- and my opinion of the book somewhat as well, based on your points plus a couple of reviews of the book that I searched out online. I still think it's a valuable book to own (since there are none more authoritative to challenge it), but now view it as somewhat less than perfect. Perhaps I'll need to add those 2000 AD creator interview collections to my list of further reading, as well.

marko10174

I've just finished reading case files six. Ron Smiths art was heavily present in that case file, and I absolutely loved his contribution to it. The art on the league of fatties was phenomenal! Not to mention the story itself had me in absolute stitches! Fattie kamikaze!!! God that strip would get so much grief from todays generation.

SIP

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 29 April, 2017, 01:47:05 PM
Carlos and Ron have given pleasure to so many over the years, this thread seems very.....thoughtless. Just my opinion.

Spot on.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

terryworld

Jesus positronic, you're a right wanker and no mistake.You start with bagging king Carlos then have a go at Ron Smith. If I met you in a pub I'd belt 7 shades out of you.
And everyone here would point and laugh.

positronic

Quote from: marko10174 on 29 April, 2017, 02:01:42 PM

I've just finished reading case files six. Ron Smiths art was heavily present in that case file, and I absolutely loved his contribution to it. The art on the league of fatties was phenomenal! Not to mention the story itself had me in absolute stitches! Fattie kamikaze!!! God that strip would get so much grief from todays generation.

I'm not sure if I'm quite getting the sense of that... you mean that you feel today it would be necessary for people to defend the right of anyone to choose to bulk up to 300 or 400+ pounds? I can imagine it might be hard for anyone to take that argument seriously. The League of Fatties story surely didn't take the premise of people who choose to be "fatties" seriously. I don't think the world has changed that much in that regard, which is why I think the story is still funny. Otherwise it might be regarded as an embarrassment from an earlier, less enlightened time.

positronic

Quote from: terryworld on 29 April, 2017, 02:17:18 PM
Jesus positronic, you're a right wanker and no mistake.You start with bagging king Carlos then have a go at Ron Smith. If I met you in a pub I'd belt 7 shades out of you.
And everyone here would point and laugh.

Where did that come from? I love Carlos Ezquerra's work. I can't take your insults seriously if you're not even paying attention.

terryworld

Yup, you're dead right there.
My apologies, you didnt bag Carlos, that was Marko.
So...... fuck him for that. What a twat.
You're the guy who had a go at Ron Smith.
So...... ummmmmmmm. Yeah. Fuck you.
Before you start with the whole "everyone has an opinion" stuff..... think about who you're having a go at.
Ron Smith.
70 years ago he was in a plane, fighting Nazis.
What have you done lately?